Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
2010 Honda Accord EX
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having read through many of the various sub-woofer related post on DA, it is clear there are a wide variety of opinions as to what constitutes good audio and equipment. Understanding that, I am asking for constructive opinions as to my planned installing with the following criteria:

- I'm using the Honda factory head-unit and speakers (non-premium)
- I don't plan to shake the windows or sound like some pimped-out lowrider
- I want to fill-in the missing bass
- I'm not made of money and have a limit of $350 to spend
- I understand the whole system (HU, speakers, amps, wiring, etc.) would sound better if I replaced it, but that is not an option for me.

The following is the equipment I am leaning towards and I would like to hear of any gotchas, caveats, issues, etc. I am likely to encounter. As said above, I don't expect a huge "boom boom boom", but a reasonable fill-in of the low frequencies. I have no issues with installing this, as you may have guessed from my previous mods.

Infinity Basslink (includes crossover and LOC)
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_108BASSLIN/Infinity-BassLink.html

Wiring from battery, to speakers, etc.
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_575RFK10/Rockford-Fosgate-RFK10.html

Bass Blockers (85Hz for the rear deck 4 Ohm factory speakers)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/INSTALL-BAY...OLT-85HZ-4-OHM-BASS-BLOCKER-NEW-/231132505123

In speaking to a Crutchfield technician (several actually), they recommended the following Bass Blockers. When I inquired about the missing frequencies between the top-end of the Infinity Basslink crossover (120Hz) and the low-end of the Bass Blockers (150Hz, but likely rolls to 140Hz), they suggested the following Audio Control LC2i and said I would like to be happier with it. The above Bass Blockers are set at 85Hz and I will set the Infinity Basslink crossover to match. I really question whether the Audio Control is overkill for my application. If it needs to be mounted behind the stereo then that may be an issue as the Myron & Davis navi and Sirius satellite radio is taking-up much of the free space.

Bass Blockers (150Hz, for the rear deck 4 Ohm speakers)
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_127BB150A2/Bass-Blockers-150-Hz-cut-off.html#overview-tab

Audio Control LC2i (in lieu of the
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_161LC2I/AudioControl-LC2i.html

Thanks for the review and constructive thoughts. :thmsup:

Scott C.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Let me know how the Bass Blockers work out! I wanted to give them a try before I go and just order my new door speakers. Could be a cheap short term solution for me.

I don't know about you but I HAD to change out my factory head unit. There just isn't enough power coming out of the factory HU. It wasn't getting loud enough. I don't just mean the LPF but the HPF too.

·
2010 Honda Accord EX
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chris, will do. Hopefully, my installation will work out (anybody else want to comment???). The system already gets decently loud for my purposes and I expect the sub and amp to fill-in the rest.

On a side note, while I think the Honda system is decent, minus the sub, it cannot hold a candle to the factory premium system in my previously owned Mazda Tribute (it had a sub). The head unit was by Bose, as were the speakers throughout, and it could get painfully loud.

Scott C.

·
2010 Honda Accord EX
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Let me know how the Bass Blockers work out! I wanted to give them a try before I go and just order my new door speakers. Could be a cheap short term solution for me.

I don't know about you but I HAD to change out my factory head unit. There just isn't enough power coming out of the factory HU. It wasn't getting loud enough. I don't just mean the LPF but the HPF too.
Will do, Chris. Everything should arrive next week.

Scott C.

·
2010 Honda Accord EX
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anybody else have any related thoughts?

Scott C.

·
Registered
479 Posts
My personal advice would be to replace your stock speakers before you go straight to the bass. You will have more bass with nicer speakers, especially when amped.

I have aftermarket speakers running on a 4 channel JL audio amp and they really bump, especially the Kicker 6x9s in the deck. This is probably more involved than just getting a bass device, but you will probably be happier.

·
2010 Honda Accord EX
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My personal advice would be to replace your stock speakers before you go straight to the bass. You will have more bass with nicer speakers, especially when amped.

I have aftermarket speakers running on a 4 channel JL audio amp and they really bump, especially the Kicker 6x9s in the deck. This is probably more involved than just getting a bass device, but you will probably be happier.
BMBaccord, thanks for the feedback. I have considered adding a second amp (to drive everything but the subwoofer, which has its own amp) and speakers, and may still do it in the future, even after the Infinity Basslink is installed. All I will lose is the costs of the bass blockers ($13), unless I am misunderstanding your suggestion.

Scott C.

·
Roll Tide!
6,795 Posts
Anybody else have any related thoughts?

Scott C.
Why two threads on the same subject? Were you hoping for double the responses? :lmao:

I had a Basslink in another car and I loved it But then again, I'm not a pimply-faced kid that likes to go boom.

·
2010 Honda Accord EX
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Why two threads on the same subject? Were you hoping for double the responses? :lmao:

I had a Basslink in another car and I loved it But then again, I'm not a pimply-faced kid that likes to go boom.
It was supposed to be two separate threads with the first to discuss the overall system expansion, and the second to discuss specifically the bass blockers and if the set the seller sent me is better or worse than that I intended to get. I don't live and break audio like I used to and wanted some feedback from those that do.

As to "pimply faced", I doubt anyone seeing (or more importantly hearing) the sub/amp I have chosen would consider it anything more than fair, at best. I am only trying to fill-in some of the missing bass from the factory stereo and speakers. Those "pimply faced" boom cars really bug me and remind me of the days when I was in college and people would crank-up their stereos trying to sound cool, but instead showing their poor taste in music and equipment installed in rattle laced car (BOOM... buzzzzzzzzzzzz... BOOM... buzzzzzzzzzzzzz... BOOM... buzzzzzzzzzzzzz...). Not at all what I want. The whole idea is to let the subwoofer handle those lower bass notes and let the rear deck speakers focus on the upper-low and mid-range. No different than how most home stereo speakers are set-up these days.

Scott C.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I got a 2010 v6 w/ navi and I plan on dropping in an amp/sub soon as well. The problem is that there's an option to control the subwoofer alone (from -6 to +6) and I'm not sure how I could work around that because like the OP, I'm not made of money lol and I don't have it at the moment to upgrade the head unit..

Is it possible to use stock sub controls or no? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

·
2010 Honda Accord EX
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got a 2010 v6 w/ navi and I plan on dropping in an amp/sub soon as well. The problem is that there's an option to control the subwoofer alone (from -6 to +6) and I'm not sure how I could work around that because like the OP, I'm not made of money lol and I don't have it at the moment to upgrade the head unit..

Is it possible to use stock sub controls or no? Sorry if this is a stupid question.
Do you have an EX V6 or an EX-L V6? If you have a subwoofer now (I.E. EX-L V6), then you have multiple options including taping the existing sub wiring in the trunk, going straight into the head-uni (RCAs, etc.), etc. I don't know what power the navi system puts out to the amp, if any, so you may still need an external amp. If you don't have an sub, you may still be able to tap the existing head-unit or tap into the rear-deck speakers like I am doing (the Infinity Basslink is designed to accept multiple types of inputs).

Scott C.

·
2010 Honda Accord EX
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Infinity Baselink was installed today and I didn't get a mile down the road on my first drive before I started getting a constant, rapid thump, thump, thump. Turning the volume on the radio to 0 didn't help, but turning the bass level to minimum did. This happened several more times in testing. Further, on the highway it sounded like the bass was still active even though the headunit was turned off. The bass sound did seem to vary with the car speed. I have NOT detached the ANC yet, so maybe someone can tell me if that is the result of still having it attached.

This was professionally installed and they also installed the bass blockers on the rear deck speakers (100hz).

Scott C.

Scott C.

·
2010 Honda Accord EX
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As for the sub, it was just weird to hear the sub thumping when the radio was turned down to zero and not even on.

I disconnected the ANC today, did some testing in the garage, and it sounds pretty good, but the real test will be on the road later today. The funny thing is I have been looking for a good place to mount the microphone for the navi and once the ANC is removed I will have a nice, hidden spot for it. :)

Scott C.

·
2010 Honda Accord EX
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
While it sounded and behaved well in the garage with the car off (NOT started), after starting it and during the test run it still sounded terrible and was misbehaving.

The ANC by the front, overhead maplights is disconnected (is there another in a sedan?), but it still seems like the sub is booming based on the vibration of the car, idle, and acceleration. The installers set the levels, including gain, but did so with the car off. Is that a possibility?

At one point after it boomed a bit, it stopped and I turned the minimum to maximum knob back and forth, but it did nothing like it had shutdown (speculation on my part since I was driving, but it has behaved like that a few times). It seems to come back after 10 seconds or so.

Anyone have any ideas? I have not tried it with the car running (in park) and the trunk open.

Scott C.

·
Registered
5 Posts
There is another one in the back seat..On the driver side between the Subwoofer and rear speakeR. You will see a little pin hole

·
2010 Honda Accord EX
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There is another one in the back seat..On the driver side between the Subwoofer and rear speakeR. You will see a little pin hole
Thanks and I will look for that. My understanding is extra ANC was only for the 2011 and newer models or in the coupes. I will go take a look.

<He runs out to his car>

Dang!!! There is one back there!

<He runs back to his computer>

Yep, there was one back there, but I missed it since the hole was not like I had seen in previous posts (no a small pin hole, but the same hole as the backseat latch uses). With the seat closed, there is still a decent sized hole and through that I could see the ANC. It's now unplugged so I will try again tomorrow. Thanks.

Scott C.

·
2010 Honda Accord EX
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
"Well, paint me green and call me a Ford Pinto!"

I disabled the rear ANC and gave the system a thorough test yesterday with lots of "bassy" music and the system sounds so much better! I have the Infinity Basslink mounted in the back corner (driver's side), adjusted to about about 45%, and it feels pretty balanced with the chosen music. So far I have not really noticed too much rattling either, but I still plan to pad the front doors when I replace the front speakers. Keep in mind, my trunk does have the Honda trunk lid insulator, along with the Honda trunk tray, so that is likely helping. Two thumbs-up!

The bass blockers also seem to be doing there job well, since the rear speakers are not producing anything under 100Hz (50v, 4ohm, 100Hz). Maybe it is me (my imagination), but the rear speakers sound a little clearer too (my assumption because they are not trying to produce sounds they simply cannot achieve).

Scott C.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts