Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Touring 2.0T
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an outstanding car wash nearby that sends my 2020 Accord Touring out looking great in every way but one. When walking up to the car with the sun shining in the right direction, those good looking, otherwise clean, 19" wheels look pretty sad, and detract from the total package. See photo.

Yes, I can stick rags and soapy water into the area, and get the wheels looking better for a time. But I'm not really into spending a lot of effort cleaning the car.

Does anyone have a slick way of making this look better without a lot of effort?

Automotive tire Hubcap Alloy wheel Automotive design Synthetic rubber

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Yes, I can stick rags and soapy water into the area, and get the wheels looking better for a time. But I'm not really into spending a lot of effort cleaning the car.

Does anyone have a slick way of making this look better without a lot of effort?
For minimum effort take your wallet out and open it a little to have someone else get in there.

·
Registered
2020 Touring 2.0T
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For minimum effort take your wallet out and open it a little to have someone else get in there.
You are absolutely right. But, I’m looking for something I can do myself when I am adding finishing touches after the car comes out of the wash track, as most of my compatriots at this car wash do when not paying for the total detail job each time we visit.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Might try taking the wheels off cleaning then waxing them.
Yep. That's pretty much the best way to scrub down the inner parts of the wheels. Jimpal- waxing will make it easier for next time... it's worth the time and effort if you want to clean them regularly.

·
Registered
2020 Touring 2.0T
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep. That's pretty much the best way to scrub down the inner parts of the wheels. Jimpal- waxing will make it easier for next time... it's worth the time and effort if you want to clean them regularly.
Thanks to you and Deathstick. Seems pretty extreme, and something I’ve never done with any previous car. Do you do it?

·
Registered
439 Posts
I have a little electric pressure washer I use. It has an adjustable tip so I use a wide pattern to rinse the car and for the wheels I spray something like simple green inside and it gets most of it out.

·
2018 LX
223 Posts
Spray on wheel cleaners help, I’ve tried some of the best out there. In the end, I had to get the brush out to achieve the results I wanted inside the barrel of the wheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have done it on a few of my hoopties and it works well to keep then inner rim cleaner looking longer. I have used car wash, simple green, and dawn I think dawn worked the best. Also take note that simple green will ruin anodization I don't think many rims are anadized but its worth knowing anyways. IMO something like eagle1 mag cleaner is best for already clean but lightly soiled wheels because they really mean it with the sit time that stuff is very corrosive. The best method is good ol fashioned scrubbing and waxing. If you have a clay bar kit after you get done scrubbing them squeaky clean go ahead and clay bar it dirt holds dirt but its not required. What ever wax you chose is good enough if you have some on hand use it if you want to know what I like its Maguire's liquid cleaner wax.

·
Registered
2019 2.0 EXL
602 Posts
I worked at a Honda/Kawasaki dealership for a few years in the early 90's and the best stuff we used back then was this:

Liquid Cosmetics Fluid Cylinder Drink

I bought so many of them I still have a few in the garage (and still use it today). I believe the new stuff looks like this:

Drink Liquid Rectangle Font Bottle

·
Registered
184 Posts
I would just use a small towel and water if you need it. No harsh chemicals. That’s what I do with my sport wheels. Just be happy you have the touring wheels. The sport wheels are an absolute headache to clean.

·
Registered
2015 EXVL Coupe w/Navi
359 Posts
Take ‘em off, clean then ceramic coat them (lasts longer than wax). It does sound like a lot of effort but there’s really no easy way to keep them clean - putting in effort to seal them now or manually cleaning them each time are really the only options. You’re limited with an automated wash as the spray doesn’t move enough to clean the wheels from multiple angles.

-Eric

·
Registered
2017 Accord LX 6MT Modern Steel Metallic
142 Posts
I use the Speedmaster Brush and have for many years. I also started using either Griots, Sonax, and for many years Eagle One wheel cleaner. Most are available at local auto parts stores and sometimes even Walmart.

To make it easier in future, you really need to take them off, clean well, even clay bar/mitt them and then give a good ceramic or hybrid coat. After that on washes a light spray with one of the cleaners and the speedmaster brush work well.

Either my Accord or Pilot, they painted/coated the inside of the rim black from factory so it doesn't stand out as being as dirty.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts