Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Forum Insomniac
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I was thinking it would be cool to have a mobile version of DA. V6P has already done this via an app for iPhones and Android powered phones called Tapatalk. Downside to this app is that it costs $2.99, and there's no free version. I did some more research, and since this site is powered by vBulletin, the creator of this site could modify the forum so that it automatically redirects phone web browsers to the mobile version. Some tutorials and info can be found at this thread on vbulletin.org.

The reason why I suggest this is because I have an Android 2.2 powered phone, and I have an unlimited data plan. Therefore, I suggest a mobile version of this site because I spend more time on my phone's Internet than that on my laptop.

·
Forum Insomniac
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A mobile version of a website, or a forum in this specific case, is optimized for mobile browsers. Since phones have smaller screen resolutions than desktop monitors, a mobile website resizes the page to fit and be viewed optimally in the phone's browser. If a phone visits a site without a mobile version, the site could potentially take longer to load than a mobile version. Mobile versions of sites are generally scaled down versions of the original site but with all the functionality. Check it out... Load http://mobility.mobi on your iPod Touch and on your computer. Notice the differences? It may cost more to the owner of this site, but it's definitely worth looking into.

·
Forum Insomniac
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lol, did I miss something?

·
Forum Insomniac
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lol ok. Think we can get a mobile version of DA, or should I just stick to viewing the regular version on my phone?

·
Registered
574 Posts
We have been asking for a mobile version for a long time. Seems like the moderators or those that can make a decision here aren't really interested in making this happen......

These requests are routinely ignored.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have a Droid x the web browsing on the full site is such a breeze why would you wanna a mobile apparently you'll have less features

·
Registered
574 Posts
I have a Droid x the web browsing on the full site is such a breeze why would you wanna a mobile apparently you'll have less features
Not everyone has a Droid X. For those with Blackberrys or Iphones, the full web version is much more difficult to use.

·
Super Moderator
10,064 Posts
We have been asking for a mobile version for a long time. Seems like the moderators or those that can make a decision here aren't really interested in making this happen......

To whom can the cost of this implementation be billed and sent to? i.e. the cost of the software at the server end, the labour to adapt to the mobile hosting, etc.

While I personally don't know how much this will cost, a viable business case has to be made before a feature like this can be implemented, as not only the initial conversion has to take place, there is also the on-going support to ensure the hosting environment functions smoothly as well, all these takes money.

Nobody works for free, well maybe just the Mods do. :)

·
Registered
574 Posts
Other websites that I frequent have implemented mobile versions for no cost and had it done within the day that it was asked for.

So the cost is probably little to none. SOME people may have to pay to get the app on their phone, but those that want it are more than willing to do so.

·
Forum Insomniac
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a LG Optimus V, and as many of us know, 3G is slow compared to high speed Internet on a laptop or desktop computer. A mobile version would pretty much cost nothing other than time and a little extra disk space. All the web designer/programmer has to do is add a PHP script to detect whether the browser's user agent is a full or mobile version. If it's a full version, show a full version of DA. If it's mobile, redirect the user to the mobile version of the browser. This scripting could literally be done with just a text editor. In fact, my favorite program for making websites is Notepad. As far as the scripting, there are plenty of source codes for these scripts.

A mobile version doesn't take away the functionality. It just formats the site so that it is optimized for the mobile version. In a mobile version of DA, on a phone you would be able to browse faster, upload images and attachments, create and reply to threads or posts, and much more. This is why I suggest a mobile version. Maybe we could have a m.driveaccord.net?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Well you can't always get what you want ...... kiss saying. ;)

Just saying * auto correction ****s on Droid x LOL

·
Keepin' It R-E-A-L...!!!
5,667 Posts
I have the free version of TapaTalk which I use for other online automotive enthusiast forums that I frequent. The free version's limitations are that embedded/attached pics can't be enlarged, PM's can't be sent, new posts/threads can't be made. In-essence, it's not interactive but still allows viewing & keeping up-to-date of forum activity. It's great for quick-reference on the go using the search or keeping current w/ new posts/threads while on the run. It's very much optimized for mobile surfing, making the web experience on a forum of interest rather seamless & w/o issue.

So, the free version is N/A now? Hmmm...

First off, moderators don't have a say or make such decisions. There are forum moderators, then there are forum administrators.

Secondly, members & moderators both want the capability/functionality of optimized D.A. mobile browsing.

Thirdly, such requests aren't ignored; it's just that there are at times other more pressing & time-sensitive issues. A good bit of them.

Lastly, AutoGuide.com, the parent company of D.A. has their own mobile app for their forums & online resources.

·
Forum Insomniac
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah I knew moderators, and possibly administrators, wouldn't be able to make this change. It would probably be up to Autoguide to fulfill this kind of request.

·
Super Moderator
10,064 Posts

Not everyone has a Droid X. For those with Blackberrys or Iphones, the full web version is much more difficult to use.
Other websites that I frequent have implemented mobile versions for no cost and had it done within the day that it was asked for.

So the cost is probably little to none. SOME people may have to pay to get the app on their phone, but those that want it are more than willing to do so.
http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=56915

Well, I hope this above link will be to your satisfaction.

As it turns out, this feature was already scheduled to be implemented, inquiry to the Admin accelerated the implementation of this feature.

Well you can't always get what you want ...... kiss saying. ;)
But sometimes you do when it is a reasonable request in the big picture that doesn't only make sense to the selected few.. :yes:

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Lastly, AutoGuide.com, the parent company of D.A. has their own mobile app for their forums & online resources.

Never knew this, explains a lot. I'll quit with the tapatalk bandwagon/ranting as it's a pipe dream w/ all things considered.

·
Forum Insomniac
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hmm, an app instead of reformatting the page for mobile. Heck, whatever works. Now hurry up and release it for Android!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts