Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Last week I backed up into a too-tall curb and which had the unfortunate side effect of catching the mudguard on my car. Although the guard is salvageable, the bumper cover was torn, and I ended up with some nasty scrapes.

The tear is clean, I'm hoping you guys have some good ideas for repairing the backside so just the tear-line is visible on the actual cover. Also, would like some ideas on how to blend/buff the scrapes. This is on the bottom rear of the car, just behind the rear wheel (drivers side).

Sam

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi,

I had the same problem and this is what i did.

1. Bought fiberglass cloth(walmart) and a lepage extreme repair glue(home depot)
2. Removed the bumper cover
3. Sand both sides of the tear with some coarse sand paper on the inner side of the bumper
4. Cut a strip of the fiberglass cloth (approx 2 inch X 12 inch) and apply the glue on one side
5. Aligned the tear and tape the tear with the glue side of fiberglass cloth.
6. Leave it for 24 hours(as recommended) and the fix is done.

I use Lepage cos my place goes below -30 deg in winter. I have already done this once and the fix seems to hold good.

My latest damage (http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=55782)

HTH

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is great! Just what I was looking for. Sorry to hear of your incident. I will give this a try this upcoming weekend, or the following.

Additional ideas for buffing the scrapes are appreciated as well.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also, does anyone have suggestions for replacement plastic nuts that are used for the screws that hold on the mudguards? One of mine cracked and fell off.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Also, does anyone have suggestions for replacement plastic nuts that are used for the screws that hold on the mudguards? One of mine cracked and fell off.
You should be able to get one from part stores like Napa/Autovalue or online. If you are not sure of the specs remove one and take it to the store and they should be able to help you.

Note: Be careful when removing plastic fastener as they tend to break easily especially after they become old. In any case buy some spare as they are pretty cheap

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, I gave it a shot today. I actually found a Bondo-branded kit at Walmart that came with the fiberglass cloth and the hardender mixture. You can't see how I did the repair on the inside, but this gives a better look at the damage. It's been a couple of hours, but still not completely dry. I may have goofed up the mixture. Oh well.

So, I really need ideas for the paint. I do have touch-up paint, but any application of that would have to start with a sanding of the scrapped up areas. Any suggestions for methods?

Attachments

·
149 Posts
you may have been better to use a long strand 2 part fiberglass on the inside, sand the outside (carefully and sparingly) then use a 2 part fill and use factory spray (mixed at your local paint shop and in a spray can)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I'm OK. The fiberglass actually worked out OK. No problems after almost 3 months. The mud guard covers virtually all of the tear. Yes, there are still some scrapes but they are low, i.e. not that visible.

I'm concentrating/saving for a new car, anyways. Will keep the Accord as my daily driver though. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts