Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a quality set of components for my 2013 Accord. I feel that the "premium" system in this car sounds like crap! Tinny and zero bass.

I am looking to spend around $200 for a set of nice components that sound like quality, and has some decent mid bass. Any Suggestions??

So far I am leaning towards the Polk Audio Db6501 components of the JBL MS-62C

I am going to install a amp and deaden the doors, Any suggestions on a amp that costs around $150-$200

·
Thunder Up!
2,559 Posts
The ms-62c is decent for the price, but are you going to properly deaden and seal the doors or just throw some peel n' seel on there and call it a day? Look at SoundDeadenerShowdown and SecondSkin for products. I've used SDS products on my vehicles (cld tiles, MLV and CCF)

Recommendations on an amp?....yeah.....my ID q450.4 for $200 shipped! Try finding that quality for that price

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The ms-62c is decent for the price, but are you going to properly deaden and seal the doors or just throw some peel n' seel on there and call it a day? Look at SoundDeadenerShowdown and SecondSkin for products. I've used SDS products on my vehicles (cld tiles, MLV and CCF)

Recommendations on an amp?....yeah.....my ID q450.4 for $200 shipped! Try finding that quality for that price
I am still researching on the best way to deaden the front doors properly. I will look into those websites. Thanks!

·
Chocolate Lady
269 Posts
Additionally:

onlinecarstereo $189 free ship

or

techronics $188 free ship

These speakers are fine. I have them. The thing is, I use a subwoofer so I don't know what is considered good midbass. But they get great reviews.

Let me just say this: everybody on this forum mentions/purchases the polk db sets. I am a loyal polk user (this is my second time ever not using polk). I used to always get the db sets. Then one day (my last car, last audio set up) I moved on up to the MoMo sets. These are 1,000x better than the dbs but surprisingly never mentioned in this forum. They are great and I loved them. They were very clear. But I can't compare the midbase delivery. I only mention it because you said you wanted a "quality set." Obviously people here love the dbs, but the MoMos are beast.

Disclaimer: This is my first time not being able to use an aftermarket headunit so I don't know how much of an effect this has on quality in regards to jbl ms62c vs. Polk MoMos.

Let us know what you choose. :thmsup:

·
Thunder Up!
2,559 Posts
Yeah....

It's not ANYWHERE near as good as the Image Dynamics q450.4. Not to mention it's 2 channel, which is usually a waste unless you're needing it due to a 3-way front, etc. You can't run active with it also...obviously, since it's only a 2-channel. So if you ever want to add DSP, run active, add anything more...you're going to need ANOTHER amp.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok the setup I am going with . . .
Speakers
First, I practically stole these speakers ! I bought the JBL MS-62C (Normally $300 Speakers) for $69 ! Sonix had them for $169 with a $100 gift card. I just happen to come across this deal browsing their site. They are out of stock now. I managed to order a set and hopefully them come in soon.
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_45048_JBL-MS-62C.html
Amplifier
I bought a PPI amp. (100 watt x 4ohm)
I am going to use this amp for 2 channel for now, and in the future I possibly might upgrade the rear speakers. I am unsure at this time, as I already have a Rockford Fosgate P300-12 sub.

·
Thunder Up!
2,559 Posts
Ok the setup I am going with . . .
Speakers
First, I practically stole these speakers ! I bought the JBL MS-62C (Normally $300 Speakers) for $69 ! Sonix had them for $169 with a $100 gift card. I just happen to come across this deal browsing their site. They are out of stock now. I managed to order a set and hopefully them come in soon.
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_45048_JBL-MS-62C.html
Amplifier
I bought a PPI amp. (100 watt x 4ohm)
I am going to use this amp for 2 channel for now, and in the future I possibly might upgrade the rear speakers. I am unsure at this time, as I already have a Rockford Fosgate P300-12 sub.
That's a good deal. What PPI amp did you go with? The 900.4 is decent. Quality control sucks on them, but if you baby it and get a good one then they're solid amps. Used one for awhile just to test it.

Should've went with a lil more power for your speakers. Headroom is a good thing.
Agreed. Headroom is always nice. Of course, you'll have the people that think since it's rated at 300rms to each speaker.....each speaker is ALWAYS getting that lol. Headroom is always something I preach, but to an extent. I'd rather have 100rms from a quality amp over 250+ from MB Quart or some garbage

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's a good deal. What PPI amp did you go with? The 900.4 is decent. Quality control sucks on them, but if you baby it and get a good one then they're solid amps. Used one for awhile just to test it.
I wanted to try a different amp from PPI so I bought the i520.4. I know this amp is cheaper, but I just wanted to try it, and if I don't like the sound or anything, I got 60 days to return it from sonix.
http://precisionpower.com/store/products/amplifiers/ion/i350-2-13.html#!prettyPhoto

Question: I am going to mount this amp under under the drivers seat & where did you tap into the radio for the signal? Did you pull the radio & and cut the wires from the factory harness, from the back of the radio?

·
Fail Zero bcg
536 Posts
Does anybody have a opinion on this JL Audio JX360/2 amp?

I think I am going to go with the JBL ms62c Speakers, powered by this amp.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_33526_JL-Audio-JX360-2.html
I would never own a JL audio JX amp only their XD and HD amps which are way better . The JX amps are known for running hot and over heating. The MS 62 is a good speakers set for someone on a tight budget . For a littler more you can get JL Audio C5 650's which have a good warm sound to them I currently have Hertz speakers in my Accord but they are a little more than most will want to spend on car speakers.

·
Registered
68 Posts
JBL MS62 are quite good. You have to spend a lot more to really beat it. If you do want to spend a lot more, JBL has their 660 GTI set that arguably is unmatched, but that is 700-1500 a set. Ouch.

Another good product they have for cheap is their GTO 5EZ amp. 4 channels of class a/b full range and a real 500 rms class D mono block in one cheap amp. Do it all with one amp, one sub, two pairs of MS comps, and enjoy. I have the 3EZ 3 channel version in my truck and with the crossover set right it really screams on both full range and sub.

·
Fail Zero bcg
536 Posts
JBL MS62 are quite good. You have to spend a lot more to really beat it. If you do want to spend a lot more, JBL has their 660 GTI set that arguably is unmatched, but that is 700-1500 a set. Ouch.

Another good product they have for cheap is their GTO 5EZ amp. 4 channels of class a/b full range and a real 500 rms class D mono block in one cheap amp. Do it all with one amp, one sub, two pairs of MS comps, and enjoy. I have the 3EZ 3 channel version in my truck and with the crossover set right it really screams on both full range and sub.
finally someone with good taste in car audio as the 660GTI are just awesome I listened to them in my friends ride and installed on axis powered by a Audison amp just blew me away . The draw back is they make you purchase the crossovers which just go in your tool box if you are running active. I am more than happy with my Hertz HSK 165XL's which can be purchased for about $550 or so I purchased my JL 650 C5's for $350 brand new and the mid bass from the Hertz HV165XL's are just awesome compared to the any JBl speaker except for the 660's as they to my ear sound about the same but it will depend on the car and how they are installed . Most people do not realize the advantage of a active crossover vs a passive one and once you experience the former there is no going back . To me the MS62 is and I am sure everyone in real car audio will agree is a cheap and entry level bang for the buck type speaker system. I do love my JBL W10 GTI's as subs and have converted away from JL Audio so kudos to JBL on those hard hitting subs. So I say best to find deal on JL Audio 650 C5's as for about $120 more than the MS62's are worth every penny.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts