Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I just completed my first leg of a pretty extensive summer trip. Went from southwest Oklahoma to Tallahassee, Florida yesterday, finished the drive to Miami this after noon. Just out of curiosity and boredom from the 22 hour drive (15 of which were yesterday), I'm keeping track of gas consumption in different conditions.

I'm not brimming the tank, I just pump till it stops and then pump enough to round to nearest dollar. So the tank won't have the exact same amount every time, but it will be close.

I'm driving my 2005 Accord sedan, i4/at with 357,499 total miles at the start of the trip.

Tank 1 - Yellow light on at 403 miles. Total distance between fill-ups was 415, and it took 13.419 gallons. MPG: 30.93

Stiff headwind at a cornering angle, 80 mph highway speed. Some stop and go in traffic in Dallas, then lots of heavy acceleration and braking from 60 to 85+ according to traffic until Tyler. Better after Tyler.

Tank 2 - Yellow light on at 444.5 miles. Total distance was 456.8, and it took 13.589 gallons. MPG: 33.61

Slight tailwind. Slower speeds including a long section of 65 mph limits. Mostly around 70. Some stop lights and towns and construction. If not for the stops, slightly better mileage possible, but this is as good as I've ever got the car to get.

Stop in Tallahassee, total mileage for the day: 1,054.9 miles, averaging 68.06 mph...

Tank 3 - Yellow light on at 391.1 miles. Total distance was 392.0, and it took 13.163 gallons. MPG 29.78

Slight headwind, about 80 mph. Straight highway aside from overnight stop. Not sure why this is worse mileage than the first tank, when I was pretty heavy footed.

So, three and a half tanks of gas to get to Miami. Total gas cost so far is $104.00

The next legs will take me to Atlanta, then up to Delaware, before driving back to Oklahoma. If anyone is interested, I'll keep updating it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'm in.

I took my first summer road trip last weekend from Boston to upstate New York, about 330 miles one way, with some additional travel once there. Averaged 36.7 mpg with a slight tailwind and cruise at 75 mph, little traffic. Return trip 35.5 mpg, high humidity, more traffic, perhaps the hint of headwind, and more A/C.

04 5-manual I4 sedan with 152k miles.

Funny how the yellow light comes on with 4 gallons remaining. Quite a reserve.

Safe travels.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Drive safe, hope Atlanta finds you well with little traffic (nearly impossible here).

I'll be headed down to Orlando soon. 8th gen should have decent gas milage. What's your tire pressures at?

Nice mileage btw! Impressive.

·
Reverse Gear
1,000 Posts
Funny how the yellow light comes on with 4 gallons remaining. Quite a reserve.
Don't get me started on that :smile.

@ 25-30 MPG that's another 50-120 (depending on how brave you are) miles that we could be easily driving before needing to fill up. That light gets into my head though. I've only been able to drive about 60 miles with the light on before I chicken out. Of course, the fill-ups always take around 15 gallons when I've done that.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
So, I just completed my first leg of a pretty extensive summer trip. Went from southwest Oklahoma to Tallahassee, Florida yesterday, finished the drive to Miami this after noon. Just out of curiosity and boredom from the 22 hour drive (15 of which were yesterday), I'm keeping track of gas consumption in different conditions.

I'm not brimming the tank, I just pump till it stops and then pump enough to round to nearest dollar. So the tank won't have the exact same amount every time, but it will be close.

I'm driving my 2005 Accord sedan, i4/at with 357,499 total miles at the start of the trip.

Tank 1 - Yellow light on at 403 miles. Total distance between fill-ups was 415, and it took 13.419 gallons. MPG: 30.93

Stiff headwind at a cornering angle, 80 mph highway speed. Some stop and go in traffic in Dallas, then lots of heavy acceleration and braking from 60 to 85+ according to traffic until Tyler. Better after Tyler.

Tank 2 - Yellow light on at 444.5 miles. Total distance was 456.8, and it took 13.589 gallons. MPG: 33.61

Slight tailwind. Slower speeds including a long section of 65 mph limits. Mostly around 70. Some stop lights and towns and construction. If not for the stops, slightly better mileage possible, but this is as good as I've ever got the car to get.

Stop in Tallahassee, total mileage for the day: 1,054.9 miles, averaging 68.06 mph...

Tank 3 - Yellow light on at 391.1 miles. Total distance was 392.0, and it took 13.163 gallons. MPG 29.78

Slight headwind, about 80 mph. Straight highway aside from overnight stop. Not sure why this is worse mileage than the first tank, when I was pretty heavy footed.

So, three and a half tanks of gas to get to Miami. Total gas cost so far is $104.00

The next legs will take me to Atlanta, then up to Delaware, before driving back to Oklahoma. If anyone is interested, I'll keep updating it.
Better update the sig! Glad to see such a high mileage car still in shape for those long trips.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Nice! I love seeing high-mileage Accords get good MPGs, keep us posted!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Drive safe, hope Atlanta finds you well with little traffic (nearly impossible here).

I'll be headed down to Orlando soon. 8th gen should have decent gas milage. What's your tire pressures at?

Nice mileage btw! Impressive.
Thanks for all the comments and well wishes.

My tire pressure is at 36 cold. Probably a bit much but I'm not getting any odd wear, so I'll stick with it.

My car has high mileage and a few issues, but I'm not scared to drive it long distances at all, it continues to be a great car.

I'm impressed the manual transmissions do as well as they do with gas mileage like 04s-silverk24. In those conditions, my auto is probably doing 4 mpg less, or worse.

Admittedly, I have a heavy foot. I'm at a conference now, I'll post again on Saturday after the drive to Atlanta.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I made the trip from Minneapolis to Des Moines and back on one tank of gas last summer. 37.5 MPG at 65 MPH.

We are making a similar trip this weekend and am interested to see what MPG we will get again.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'll add that my avg mpg over the last 81k miles is 31.3 in mixed 60/40 highway/city driving. Long highway trips in the Summer get me into the mid-thirties, in the Winter, a bit less.

I have new General Altimax RT43's on the car at 35psi front, 33psi rear. Just did a complete brake job before my trip, Centric Premium Rotors on all four corners and Wagner Theromquiet pads, bled the system and added Prestone DOT3. New Honda MTF as well.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Love Ohio's flat roads, whenever I drive from Dayton to Columbus, I usually get about 38mpg going 75mph

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Thanks for all the comments and well wishes.

My tire pressure is at 36 cold. Probably a bit much but I'm not getting any odd wear, so I'll stick with it.

My car has high mileage and a few issues, but I'm not scared to drive it long distances at all, it continues to be a great car.

I'm impressed the manual transmissions do as well as they do with gas mileage like 04s-silverk24. In those conditions, my auto is probably doing 4 mpg less, or worse.

Admittedly, I have a heavy foot. I'm at a conference now, I'll post again on Saturday after the drive to Atlanta.
what issues do you have?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
what issues do you have?
Squeaks and rattles. Weather stripping is getting ragged. Interior is showing age, as i've worn the steering wheel smooth at the 10 o'clock position. Things like that.

Mechanically, it's good to go.

So, no updates yet. I'm in the UK and the car is in front of a friends house in Atlanta. The last leg was a mess due to traffic and delayed schedule. I'll post info on the last tank later, certainly before I head up to Delaware.

·
Registered
53 Posts
357k is amazing!

I can only hope for the same!!

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Squeaks and rattles. Weather stripping is getting ragged. Interior is showing age, as i've worn the steering wheel smooth at the 10 o'clock position. Things like that.

Mechanically, it's good to go.

So, no updates yet. I'm in the UK and the car is in front of a friends house in Atlanta. The last leg was a mess due to traffic and delayed schedule. I'll post info on the last tank later, certainly before I head up to Delaware.
I have different squeaks and rattles. They come and go. I'm glad it's mechanically sound! It's weird mine is 10 years old but still has much of its life left to go.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts