Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a new set of rims with snow tires for my car. I change them seasonally. My other wheels are completely stock....OEM 19" wheels with michelin treads(all season). I am wondering if I should sell the stock tires, (they are almost new) and buy some summer tires.

Is there a big difference in preformance from all-season to summer?????

HELP!

·
Brake, Turn and POWER
401 Posts
I think summer tires have more grip but wear out faster.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
There is a huge difference in the performance of summer and all-season tires. As long as the temperature is above about 40 degrees or so summer tires will stop faster and handle better than all-season tires. All-seasons are a compromise for people who don't want to switch between summer and winter tires, don't want/need the performance of summer tires, or who will occasionally be in temps below 40 without snow.

·
Super Moderator
3,434 Posts
IMO If you live farther north, a high performance all season might be a better choice. I tried a summer tire in Pennsylvania and found that they were only optimal about 3 - 4 months out of the year. The other 3 months or so in the fall and spring, temps were often cold enough that the rubber compound got hard and handling became jittery. An all season will at least help ease that transition during the cooler fall and spring months. Plus, if you get caught in an early snow fall, the all seasons will offer a bit of security.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I run summer tires all year long in Los Angeles.

They don't wear out faster per se.

At least not significantly so.

It is that most people that buy summer tires buy performance summer tires.

And drive-it-like-they-stole-it.

Usually in a performance and/or modified car.

As a result these summer tires wear out faster.

They give you flat out better performance including comfort.

Above 50 degrees or so.

Between freezing and 50 they are still safe.

When you go below freezing better switch tires.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I have to disagree about high performance all season tires. If you can switch between winter and summer tires then you should definitely have tires for summer and winter. My GF has a civic Si with Michelin Pilot Sport All Season (a high performance all season tire) and she can't get up slight inclines in more than an inch of snow.

If you don't have to go out until they plow the streets than an all season is fine, other wise get a winter tire.

·
Super Moderator
10,064 Posts
All-Season tires are often coined "No-Season" tires, they are a compromise, not as good in summer as pure summer performance tires and no where as good as dedicated winter tires in the snowy weather conditions.

That said I chose to go with the All Season RE960 because I no longer care for the absolute adhesion and stiff handling of pure summer performance tires, been there and done that many times, I now want ride quality as a huge factor as well as noise, the Bridgestone RE960, while expensive, still stick extremely well especially as All Season tires but are quiet, ride well, still stiff enough around corners, they also will channel water on the road surface far better than pure summer tires, as well as handle the low temperatures in early spring and late fall before I put the dedicated winter tires on my car.

·
Also available in sober.
499 Posts
Standard suspension and same size tires, you aren't going to feel much if any difference... at least not with the Michelins. Some A/S tires do **** but the Michelins are pretty good stuff.

·
Banned
294 Posts
I would only buy used tires and here's why... New tires are a rip off. I just picked up a used Michilin Pilot Exalto in the 215-50-17 with plenty of tread left for 45 bucks + tax, spin balanced and fully installed. This was @ Discount. This tire is over 200 bucks brand new!! They also had 1 Pirelli P6 plus and 1 Goodyear F1 all in 215-50-17 so I could have gotten 3 used tires for less then 200 bucks and the car wouldn't have detected any difference!! As long as your alignment is good, you will be good. Think about it before you throw away your hard earned dollars at the ole tire shop!!

·
Super Moderator
10,064 Posts
I would only buy used tires and here's why... New tires are a rip off. I just picked up a used Michilin Pilot Exalto in the 215-50-17 with plenty of tread left for 45 bucks + tax, spin balanced and fully installed. This was @ Discount. This tire is over 200 bucks brand new!! They also had 1 Pirelli P6 plus and 1 Goodyear F1 all in 215-50-17 so I could have gotten 3 used tires for less then 200 bucks and the car wouldn't have detected any difference!! As long as your alignment is good, you will be good. Think about it before you throw away your hard earned dollars at the ole tire shop!!
Mixing different tires is a REALLY BAD IDEA, you may or may not track true down the road even if alignment is ok, but that is the least of your problems since each tire will react differently upon braking and cornering, it may not be noticeable until one tire starts to loose adhesion while the other (different) tires are all behaving differently, causing the car to loose control before you knew it.

Unlike buying a good used car, buying used tires with unknown history such as how old they are, is there belt-shift not visible from the outside etc. and then mixing them with other different kinds of used tires is one of the worst idea I've read in recent memory.

DON'T DO IT, it's not worth the the safety risk for the money "saved".

EDIT: Automotive engineers spent endless amount of their skill, knowledge, and computing power from Super Computers fine-tunning the handling and stability control algorithms of modern cars, to sabotage that with the suggestion of mixed set of different tires at each corner in the interest of cost saving is simply exacerbating.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Depends where you live. The all seasons that come with the car aren't that great winter weather, more of a light winter tread. I've never had any problems in heavy snow, but I know how to drive in the snow, other then not having much traction in heavy snow. I would say get some good all seasons, but depends how you drive/where you live.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts