Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
You're not the only one. My LX does it. Maybe 1 time out of 20 I can get it to latch again. I haven't bothered with it since I don't wear sunglasses, but still, if I did, it would be a problem.

Anyone else?

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
No problems here on my EX-L Accord...and my 2003 Accord never had any issues during 10 years of driving. Sounds like it would be a pretty simple fix for the dealer or just about anybody I would hope. I'd definitely get it looked at the next time you get the car serviced. Might just be a simple adjustment...or maybe the little latch itself broke off?

·
2018 Accord Sport 2.0T
18 Posts
I just started having this problem with my '13 Sport . Haven't had time to figure out what's causing it yet, but it seems like there may be a spring in the upper left corner of the holder that is broken or has come detached. I'll have to pull it apart when I get a chance. It still works part of the time.

Anybody else had this problem and figured out the cause ?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
The only moment for me that it won't close is if the pocket that my sunflasses are in get in the way of the closure mechanism; which is very easy to interfere with.

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
Reach up and manually push the left slide pin up, it will stay and allow it to latch. Mine fails to catch about 75%. Interestingly my 12 MDX and 13 Leaf have a simple push tab that locks and unlocks by direct finger pressure. Notoce our trailing edge is smooth and the locking is done internally. If you open the others, there is a plastic tab jutting out that just catches the lip and latches. No slide pins, much cheaper, and fool proof (unless the tab breaks).

·
Registered
70 Posts
Mine doesn't always latch either ('13 EX-L V6 coupe). Sometimes I have to push and re-push it about 3-8x then it'll catch. Other times, it latches the 1st time with no issue.

At first I thought maybe it had something to do with the temp. (parts shrinking/expanding), but the longer I've had the car, that doesn't seem to be the case.

·
2018 Accord Sport 2.0T
18 Posts
Sunglasses holder fix

I just started having this problem with my '13 Sport . Haven't had time to figure out what's causing it yet, but it seems like there may be a spring in the upper left corner of the holder that is broken or has come detached. I'll have to pull it apart when I get a chance. It still works part of the time.

Anybody else had this problem and figured out the cause ?
Well, today I pulled the "roof console" (that's what it's called) out and figured out the problem with the sunglasses holder not staying shut. There is a little metal slide pin in the upper left corner of the sunglasses holder that needs to move freely, but not too freely. A metal clip applies a small amount of pressure on the slide pin to make it work properly. I removed the clip and bent it just a tiny bit so that when I put it back in it would apply a little more pressure on the slide pin. That seems to have totally fixed the problem :) There was nothing broken, just needed to be tightened up a little.

BTW, to remove the "roof console" you need to pop off the map light lenses and remove the two screws that hold the front of it to the headliner. Then remove the other two screws that are visible when the sunglasses holder is open. Disconnect the three wiring harness connectors and the whole assembly will come out so you can work on it.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I have experienced the same issue on my '13 EX-L. I noticed that if I close it fast and hard it will close right 9 out of 10 times. I'll have to try that clip bending though, thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
706 Posts
'14 EX-l no problems.
However i am irritated that it's a padded compartment EXCEPT for the door..
invariably the glasses end up lens-first against this hard plastic. I have a couple minute scratches already.
Why can't the door have a little foam padding also :banana:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts