Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first vehicle with a sunroof. I heard stories about drains being clogged over time and inducing leaks into the interior. From looking at the parts diagram, the passenger side drain goes forward and the driver side drain goes backwards. What tricks do you guys use to keep these "drain pipes" clear?

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Both my 88 Prelude and my 2000 Accord Coupe have standard Honda moonroof. I hav which my son is driving to college. I have never cleaned the drains nor has rain ever leaked into either cars. I drove the Prelude from 88 to 96 and I still have the Accord. I can't find anything in the owner's manual about cleaning the drains for the moonroof as preventative maintenance.

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,338 Posts
Before trying to unclog, check to see if they are clogged. Take a Solo cup, fill it up, and then pour it down the drain. If it pisses out the bottom of the pillar, you have no clog. Refill Solo cup with booze.

Jay

·
Elvira
3,965 Posts
blowing down you may blow the drain line off its peg on the sunroof, that might be a big PIA to re install
VERY good point

If it really is clogged a vacuum may be better since the clog won't act as a plug and push the drain tube off the metal tube in the sun (moon) roof.

Miker

·
Registered
415 Posts
Before trying to unclog, check to see if they are clogged. Take a Solo cup, fill it up, and then pour it down the drain. If it pisses out the bottom of the pillar, you have no clog. Refill Solo cup with booze.

Jay
I'll drink to that!! :lmao: :banana: :wave: :thumbsup: :drink: :salue: :beatnik:

All my Hondas in my sig are at least EX or higher--all moonroofs! No Draino (or wa-wa) necessary! No leaks or other stuff! (Had the 6th-Gen moonroof make a squeak, fixed under a TSB. Current Touring roof doesn't go quite to the stop in "vent" mode, and rattles a little, but I'm not going to squawk about it, lest there be MORE rattles introduced in taking down the headliner to fix it! :yes: )

·
No PRND
583 Posts
Having a few preludes and an old accord with a sunroof, the ONLY time I have had one clog is when some kind of insects made a nest in it from the bottom of the car. I simple wire hanger fixed that.

·
Registered
300 Posts
1999 Civic EX in Washington state - i.e. rain 9 months out of the year. Never had a problem. I think it's a non-issue...

·
Registered
145 Posts
Pro Tip: If a car is under warranty, follow the routine maintenance guide in the manual and if anything else breaks, thats what the warranty is for. Over-thinking.

·
Registered
72 Posts
1) having done this many times, I've never seen the tube blow off. Just don't have accumulators or a big tank. Careful use of a home compressor has always worked for me.

2) both my 88 prelude I had in HS, my 89 CRX, and my 91 accord now clogged, but I'm in Indiana parked under trees. I would think Honda has improved this design with our 9th gens, especially since they've been designed and built in my region for a while now.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
66 Posts
I used a drinking straw. Stuck it in the drain hole as far as i could and pulled it back out. Got some of the gunk out and was able to unclog the drain. If you have a sunroof, it's good to at least perform a visual inspection of the drain holes if you do not want water damage inside the car roof. Lesson learned on my part and thank you for this thread!

·
cvt - NOT
1,401 Posts
The easiest practice to avoid the drain from getting clogged. Is to not keep the sunroof open when the car is parked for any extended period of time so that debris from trees, etc can collect and clog the drain. Cleaning the sunroof "chamber" whenever you wash the car also helps maintain cleanliness too.

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,724 Posts
Yes, there are 4 drains, one on each corner. Since a car can be parked at any angle, the water has to have an exit no matter which way the car is leaning. As I remember one of my 7th gen manuals (owner or service) said to pour a glass of water into the channels on each side and look for water draining near each wheel. If I were to have a clogged drain I would use an air compressor, but only at low pressure (50psi or less). I've never had a clogged drain tube yet (3 Accords with moonroofs since 91), but then I don't park under trees every day.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.