Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not thinking of doing anything within the next year, however, i would like to start gathering some research now on the subject. I have a '09 EX-L Coupe, AT 4 cylinder. What's the difference between the supercharger and the turbocharger, I heard the turbo kicks in at about 2,500 RPM, this true? From what i've read on other threads, i'm getting mixed reviews, some are saying it can be done some are saing it cannot be done. I've found some kits, but unsure as to how well they would work. Can the transmission handle it? I've read that the honda transmissions areen't to responcive to a little more power. I know I have a4 cylinder auto, i can't trade it becuase of the folks, even though it's my car, i'll be keeping this car for another 4-5 years so want to have the drive a little more enjoyable to drive. Also, I haven't really found any other threads about a tubro/super charged 4 cylinders. I know many of you aren't in favor of it, but seeing as I can't sell my car for a few more years, it's something i'm interested in, so please no "go get a V6" comments. I appreciate any comments/tips. Thanks

·
Sugar coating for you ..
4,212 Posts
I don't think it will be done anytime soon in the states. It's been done overseas with gains that are about equal to the v6, but that's about it. Kits you may find I doubt will work, which most likely are the universal ebay kits which I would stay away from.

I mean do you have like 7k+ to spend? That's about what it would run you to custom fab / fit and tune one. And if the car is in your name, you pay for it etc .. you should be able to do whatever you want with the car, no matter what the folks say. But perhaps you live under their roof so you have to respect their rules.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
first off before you got force induction is there even an EMS to tune your car. There no point if you get a turbo or s/c and can't tune it. The motor just going to lean out and blow up.

I am not too familar with the gen8 motor so that is why I ask. If there is next step is how much power and how much money you want to put in? For the Turbo everything has to be custom made so your looking at 4-5k. For it to spool faster you want a small turbo but that limits your opinion on how much power you want to make. However, the smaller turbo might be better for lowend and midrange power. for a larger turbo it takes longer to spool but has a good amount of midend and tons of top end power.

After that you have to start thinking about how much your transmission can hold. Adding a transmission cooler is a big must. I am not sure how strong the i4 AT are so I can't really say that is the threshold.

If your looking for a 50whp increase is should be very doable without blowing the tranney. As for the motor, it is all on the tune.

For sure the k-series has a lot more opinion then the J.

·
Honda owner since '84
111 Posts
Put a "50 shot" of Nitrous on it. The mechanics should hold and it's a lot cheaper than fooling around with Turbo or Super charging.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think it will be done anytime soon in the states. It's been done overseas with gains that are about equal to the v6, but that's about it. Kits you may find I doubt will work, which most likely are the universal ebay kits which I would stay away from.

I mean do you have like 7k+ to spend? That's about what it would run you to custom fab / fit and tune one. And if the car is in your name, you pay for it etc .. you should be able to do whatever you want with the car, no matter what the folks say. But perhaps you live under their roof so you have to respect their rules.
I don't have quite that much. Those universal kits don't look too trustworthy, just gathering information at this point. Haha I do live with them while in school, keeps my expences low.

I am not too familar with the gen8 motor so that is why I ask. If there is next step is how much power and how much money you want to put in? For the Turbo everything has to be custom made so your looking at 4-5k. For it to spool faster you want a small turbo but that limits your opinion on how much power you want to make. However, the smaller turbo might be better for lowend and midrange power. for a larger turbo it takes longer to spool but has a good amount of midend and tons of top end power.
I'm not to familiar between turbos, what's a small turbo? Also, what does EMS stand for? Just from the general feel of reading your post, I would prefer a small turbo as compared to a large turbo. How much, aprox. do you think a small tubro would run me? I'm just gathering info at this point in time, no rush to make any decisons in the near future. Is 50HP possible with a small turbo? How much is a transmission cooler cost?

·
Sugar coating for you ..
4,212 Posts
Small turbo, he's just talking about the actual size of the turbo unit.

And you can't just slap on a turbo and call it a day. You'll need an intercooler I assume, and you'll have to find room in your already full engine compartment to mount the intercooler and run all the piping. There is a lot of work involved in turbo/supercharging a vehicle. 50hp is not really much. What is the i4 190hp? Another 50 is still less than a V6. But you might be able to get quicker numbers obviously because it's boosted.

I mean it can be done .. it's a matter of how deep your pockets are.

EMS is engine management system which basically lets you customize particular things that you engine does I believe.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Put a "50 shot" of Nitrous on it. The mechanics should hold and it's a lot cheaper than fooling around with Turbo or Super charging.
Today 12:49 PM
What does this cost, and how much would it cost to install, also, how much does it cost to refil? I'm just looking to have more power in general, not really racing material.

nd you can't just slap on a turbo and call it a day. You'll need an intercooler I assume, and you'll have to find room in your already full engine compartment to mount the intercooler and run all the piping. There is a lot of work involved in turbo/supercharging a vehicle. 50hp is not really much. What is the i4 190hp? Another 50 is still less than a V6. But you might be able to get quicker numbers obviously because it's boosted.

I mean it can be done .. it's a matter of how deep your pockets are.
How much do you think this would cost? Aprox number? Do you know of anyone who's done it before? With a 4 cylinder automatic coupe?

·
Stanced 8thGen Accord
3,395 Posts
Deity,

Sorry man i don't want to Close your doors man,

But there is not Turbo system for our cars, even if you have a I4 for.. If you don't have at least 7k saved up for a Custom Stand alone System Program, Custom turbo setup your best bet would be to get Bolt On power parts..

Check out ..

WWW.THROWDOWNPERFORMANCE.COM

He is a Forum sponsor..

Right now your options are

1- Exhaust System Cat-back
2- UR Pulley kit
3-P2R- Throttle Body spacer "i believe"
4-P2R- Ported Intake Runners.
5- Short or Cold Air intake system
6-Sprint Booster"doesn't add HP but increase throttle response"

If i am missing parts sorry, i only keep up with V6 parts since i have every part on the market on my car lol

MARK at ThrowdownPerformance will be able to help you with ever you need..

Shoot him a Pm with what your looking for i'm sure he can help you out..

·
Old Bird...sometimes wise
10,137 Posts
In short...........IF you have unlimited funds anything can be accomplished. By the time the huge amount of money is spent you could have purchased a turbo Subie, a Mustang, Camaro, or whatever. Any of those would slap a turbo four banger Honda silly. It's a fools errand so why spend the money to get an experimental turbo 4 that you would have a tough time getting rid of? Not sensible, not one bit. Nice dream? You bet it is but the practicality of the project is not realistic.

·
Honda owner since '84
111 Posts
What does this cost, and how much would it cost to install, also, how much does it cost to refil? I'm just looking to have more power in general, not really racing material.
A complete kit installed would prolly run in the neighborhood of 4-5 hundred...though if you "know" someone in the business, you could get by for a lot less.

It costs about 50 bucks each time for a refill on the bottle.

It's "power on demand", instead of always being on, as would be the case with a turbo or supercharger, constantly stressing the stock motor.

I feel your "pain" but personally, I wouldn't bother, even with the Nitrous. YMMV

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A complete kit installed would prolly run in the neighborhood of 4-5 hundred...though if you "know" someone in the business, you could get by for a lot less.

It costs about 50 bucks each time for a refill on the bottle.

It's "power on demand", instead of always being on, as would be the case with a turbo or supercharger, constantly stressing the stock motor.

I feel your "pain" but personally, I wouldn't bother, even with the Nitrous. YMMV
Haha I really do appreciate the info, I think i'll take your advice and pass on the nitro.

In short...........IF you have unlimited funds anything can be accomplished. By the time the huge amount of money is spent you could have purchased a turbo Subie, a Mustang, Camaro, or whatever. Any of those would slap a turbo four banger Honda silly. It's a fools errand so why spend the money to get an experimental turbo 4 that you would have a tough time getting rid of? Not sensible, not one bit. Nice dream? You bet it is but the practicality of the project is not realistic.
I think i've got the picture, haha i've banished the idea already, was just curious, thanks for the help :)

Sorry man i don't want to Close your doors man,

But there is not Turbo system for our cars, even if you have a I4 for.. If you don't have at least 7k saved up for a Custom Stand alone System Program, Custom turbo setup your best bet would be to get Bolt On power parts..

Check out ..

WWW.THROWDOWNPERFORMANCE.COM

He is a Forum sponsor..

Right now your options are

2- UR Pulley kit

If i am missing parts sorry, i only keep up with V6 parts since i have every part on the market on my car lol
Thanks, I don't really want to invest that much money into it, as RTexasF said it would be tough to get rid of it if I did, not really sensible to invest that much money in an Accord for me anyways.

2- UR Pulley kit
If you don't mind me asking, (can PM me if you don't want to share on the forum if you want to share) how much did this cost? Also, how much horsepower does this add?

·
Registered
786 Posts
Ported intake runners with the thermal gasket
Under drive pulleys with the new smaller belt
sprint booster
All of this will run you about $1000 without install. the sprint booster is simple to install. The other stuff is a little more difficult. It can be done but just know if u mess up its on you lol.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ported intake runners with the thermal gasket
Under drive pulleys with the new smaller belt
sprint booster
All of this will run you about $1000 without install. the sprint booster is simple to install. The other stuff is a little more difficult. It can be done but just know if u mess up its on you lol.
that ust for the ported intake runners, sprint boosters, under drive pulleys?

·
Registered
786 Posts
that ust for the ported intake runners, sprint boosters, under drive pulleys?
V-belt $45

http://throwdownperformance.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=219_1_2_4_76&products_id=1198

Ported intake runners $325

http://throwdownperformance.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=219_1_2_4_76&products_id=2830

Thermal intake manifold gasket $39

http://throwdownperformance.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=219_1_2_4_76

Under drive pulley set $273

http://throwdownperformance.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=219_1_2_4_76&products_id=276

Sprint booster $330

http://www.sprintboostersales.com/detail.cfm?year=2008&make=Honda&model=Accord&engine=Gas

Total = $1012 plus install. And if your from jersey youll get taxed on the things from throwdown but you get free shipping. getting HP aint cheap...

EDIT just realized your from canada so shipping wont be free.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Haha yeah, get charged a duty too, even with the duty a lot of things are cheaper in the states, epecially if they're made in the US, falls under NAFTA

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm not sure if it'd be cheaper or more efficient... but couldn't you just drop in a V6 motor?

·
out of control
1,611 Posts
Deity, the parts bpearl2010 listed are the best you can do. I would advise against a turbo/supercharger setup because the auto tranny can only handle up to 250whp and it's already problematic for stock v6's (200whp). Even If you do boost, you're still losing a lot of power thru the auto trans.

If I were you, I would just get bolt-ons and those alone should be satisfying. Then I would lower the car and throw on some 19x10's or wider and call it a day.
You should just make your car look nice and buy a fast one later. I was in your situation 4 years ago. I had the exact same car except it was a 2007 and I was not allowed to sell mine despite that I was paying for it. Well, being 21 now, I had saved up almost $3,000 in a few months of worked and took the bite. I went to the dealership and traded in. Just enjoy what you have now and buy what you want later. Best of luck to you.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts