Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2014 Honda Accord V6 coupe, 27k on it. I'm maintaining even pressure on the pedal but the motor is surging in 200rpm increments between 2000-3000. Does it with Eco mode on or off, level ground or uphill. Driving me nuts... anyone else have this issue?

·
Old DriveAccord Soul
1,811 Posts
2014 Honda Accord V6 coupe, 27k on it. I'm maintaining even pressure on the pedal but the motor is surging in 200rpm increments between 2000-3000. Does it with Eco mode on or off, level ground or uphill. Driving me nuts... anyone else have this issue?
Do a 3X drain and fill of your transmission fluid with DW1. Should solve the issue, please report back.

·
Runnin' in the 90s
6,035 Posts
^ +1 Check your intake hose for cracks and such.

·
Elvira
3,841 Posts
Have you recently cleaned the TB?

Did you clean it correctly as by turning key/button to start position (without starting the engine) and stepping on gas to open throttle plate?

You might have a TPS module going bad. That'll cause surging and RPM changes on the expressway at those RPM's.

Reactions: slimm1469

·
Registered
2 Posts
Do a 3X drain and fill of your transmission fluid with DW1. Should solve the issue, please report back.
I've experienced this surging in both my 2013 and 2014 Touring sedans. A couple weekends ago I bought a case of DW1, Plews 76-068 funnel and 5-pack of 18mm trans washers from Amazon and did the 3X drain/refill (along with an engine oil change) on the '14 with 56K. I was able to drain exactly 4 quarts from the transmission each time and used the entire case of 12 quarts to complete the job. This is a very easy DIY job just remember you'll need a 5 gallon container to capture all of the used oil and take to your local auto parts store for free recycling.

To my complete astonishment, this eliminated the surging during acceleration. This will be a routine maintenance task at every 30K miles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Question - I am having this same issue with my 2014 Accord EX-L v6 - to confirm your suggestion, I should drain the original ATF, then refill/drain 3 more times with a 4th fill being the last or should the 3rd fill be the last? Wasn't sure if the 3x drain you outline includes the initial draining of the ATF fluid - just trying to detemrine how any quarts of DW1 I need to purchase. Thank you for your advice!

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Question - I am having this same issue with my 2014 Accord EX-L v6 - to confirm your suggestion, I should drain the original ATF, then refill/drain 3 more times with a 4th fill being the last or should the 3rd fill be the last? Wasn't sure if the 3x drain you outline includes the initial draining of the ATF fluid - just trying to detemrine how any quarts of DW1 I need to purchase. Thank you for your advice!
Just get a box of 12 bottles, that should be fine for you. Check if v6 auto trans TSB applies to your year/VIN. Warranty runs on that if I am correct for 8 years or 80K miles. They update software and do drains and fills as part of that tsb.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just get a box of 12 bottles, that should be fine for you. Check if v6 auto trans TSB applies to your year/VIN. Warranty runs on that if I am correct for 8 years or 80K miles. They update software and do drains and fills as part of that tsb.
Many thanks - I looked on the NHTSA.gov website and didnt see a TSB directly related to my symptoms. I see several about the judder/torque converter issue and then 1 for the CVT but my car doesn't have the CVT. Either way, I am going to contact my Honda Dealer to confirm if there is a TSB that applies.
Again I appreciate your quick response - wish I could buy you a beer!(y)🍺

·
Registered
2017 Accord LX 6MT Modern Steel Metallic
244 Posts
does the 2014 V6 have VCM? That wreaks havoc with the torque converter clutch (and the fluid). If it does, consider something like S-VCM

·
Registered
2017 Accord LX 6MT Modern Steel Metallic
244 Posts
Many thanks - I looked on the NHTSA.gov website and didnt see a TSB directly related to my symptoms. I see several about the judder/torque converter issue and then 1 for the CVT but my car doesn't have the CVT. Either way, I am going to contact my Honda Dealer to confirm if there is a TSB that applies.
Again I appreciate your quick response - wish I could buy you a beer!(y)🍺
After checking with dealer, if no longer in warranty, consider switching to a synthetic transmission fluid like Valvoline MaxLife. You can search and read on that accordingly. The synthetic does not break down as easily with heat. It might change some of the shift characteristics but many like it better.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts