Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Joz
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just took off my summer tires, and I realized that there are small little bumps in the inner park of the tire. I don’t know if this means that my suspensions are going, but there are no signs of oil leakage from the coilovers. This issue is apparent on both of the back wheels, but not a problem in the front. I didn’t notice this until I took off the rims this weekend.

Would this be an suspension issue, or an alignment issue?

I have outlines some background of my car below:

I lowered my car with BC Racing coilovers (60,000 KM on them/2.5 years), and I have about half an inch gap between the wheel well and the tires. My rims are 9 inches all around, and the tires (old 2009 tires) are a little stretched. There are no apparent camber wear, but there are small little bump all around the inner part of the tire. (1/5: bumps all around, 3/5: even wear, 1/5: not touching the ground). I do not have a camber arm installed, but there are no noticeable camber wear….just the bumps

The coilover setting is 8/32 in the front and 7/32 (1 being the softest) in the back.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
it sounds like you have cupped tires. certain brands are more susceptible to cupping than others but a bad toe alignment is usually the culprit. if you lowered your car without a 2 or 3 piece adjustable setup you likely cannot get back to alignment specs, thus the abnormal wear you are experiencing.

i'll let you research further on your own but in short cupping is an out-of-round wear pattern in which the outer portions of your tire (inner or outter edge) feather and wear unevenly causing the tread grooves on your tire to alternate between high and low. instead of ~~~~~~ you may have ~~~__~~~__~~~ due to the rear tires actually hopping as they are pulled down the road. the problem gets worse as the wear continues and may manifest as noise and vibration. once a tire's wear pattern has been established there is no going back; so i'd pursue camber arms asap and replacement tires (less urgent).

·
Joz
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it sounds like you have cupped tires. certain brands are more susceptible to cupping than others but a bad toe alignment is usually the culprit. if you lowered your car without a 2 or 3 piece adjustable setup you likely cannot get back to alignment specs, thus the abnormal wear you are experiencing.

i'll let you research further on your own but in short cupping is an out-of-round wear pattern in which the outer portions of your tire (inner or outter edge) feather and wear unevenly causing the tread grooves on your tire to alternate between high and low. instead of ~~~~~~ you may have ~~~__~~~__~~~ due to the rear tires actually hopping as they are pulled down the road. the problem gets worse as the wear continues and may manifest as noise and vibration. once a tire's wear pattern has been established there is no going back; so i'd pursue camber arms asap and replacement tires (less urgent).
Hi,

I did some more research and you are correct. The proper term is “cupping”.

I haven’t aligned my car since 60k KM ago. Are you saying that cupping happens because my toe is not set to zero? I can get an alignment to make sure that the toe is set to zero, but will have to live with the negative camber. I should be getting rid of the car in a year or so, so there is really no point of investing in a camber arm. I just want to make sure that I don’t ruin my winter tires the same way I did the Summers.

In short…are you saying that I don’t have to change out my coilovers?

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Hi,

I did some more research and you are correct. The proper term is “cupping”.

I haven’t aligned my car since 60k KM ago. Are you saying that cupping happens because my toe is not set to zero? I can get an alignment to make sure that the toe is set to zero, but will have to live with the negative camber. I should be getting rid of the car in a year or so, so there is really no point of investing in a camber arm. I just want to make sure that I don’t ruin my winter tires the same way I did the Summers.

In short…are you saying that I don’t have to change out my coilovers?
considering your coilovers aren't leaking and you will move on from the car soon i can see the case for not doing anything. in the meantime i'd get an alignment to hedge off any premature wear on your winter set and possibly bring your setup back within stock specs (with success being dependent upon how low you are).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts