Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Ok, help me understand here. Understand that I am coming from the GM world. This is my first Honda. I know Hondas are good cars and have been good cars, but I've never owned one.

I'm used to not really a "floaty" suspension, but one that's a little more dampening I guess you could say.

My 2010 Honda Accord has a pretty stiff suspension. I like the stance and the small amount of rake the car has...always been a fan of that look. When it comes to cars, I don't like the level look or the "cali-lean" look. I think that as long as it's not overdone, a small rake looks aggressive and pretty cool.

That being said, I am not sure what I'm feeling. The car has 39k on it and is a 2010 LX-P. It feels good around town, but on the highway, it's just really stiff. I'm not sure if that's just the way these suspensions are, and if it is, what I can do about it to dampen the ride a bit more. I understand that to some extent, that's what you want on the highway. I do understand that and in fact, I do like the tightness of the handling on the highway. I just wish that it would dampen the bumps a bit more.

Is it just a Honda thing and I'm just going crazy, or can I get a bit more of a "cushy" ride.

I like the car well enough, I just want to see about a better ride quality.

·
Yes, I'm a girl.
1,649 Posts
A Honda is going to be stiffer than most of your GM cars, and that's not going to change much. What you can do, is put some slightly cushier tires on depending on what you have on it now.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I was thinking. It's not horrible, just not used to it I guess. Part of me likes it, the other part of me says "wow, this is different than anything you've ever owned." HA

Yeah, I may try some higher end Michelins or something. It's got Cooper Lifeliners right now. Don't know much about them, but I think they're Cooper's mid-grade tire. I like Cooper's truck tires...have some on my Tahoe and love them. But don't know much about their car tires.

·
Low Gear
2,934 Posts
Honda suspension has pretty much one-size fits all. That can be a good thing or bad thing.

Most felt it handles great right out of the box.

Some felt it's generally too stiff so they buy a Toyota Camry instead.

The 9th gen Accord has taken the "softer" approach IMO, with taller tires. But none the less, it's still one-size fits all.

If you are coming from a different brand, it may take some time, unless you live on a rural country road. Then the stiffer suspension can be a chore. For me, it would be the other way around where all other cars feels "too soft" generally out of the box.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's not horrible, just different. Of course, I have 285/70's on my Tahoe and this little Accord is running 205/65's. Definitely not a tall tire for sure. I'm sure that's probably the most of it. I can probably get used to it. I do like the stiffer feeling on the highway. I think it's just these Texas roads where they just lay some tar down and then throw gravel on top. It's loud! But the steering feels great and almost sports car like. It's growing on me...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would think if I pumped the tires up that much, I could feel every bump in my molars. I was hoping to make it more cushy. I'm used to GM!!

·
Registered
195 Posts
I would think if I pumped the tires up that much, I could feel every bump in my molars. I was hoping to make it more cushy. I'm used to GM!!
I've been at 37-40psi 24/7 and I don't even notice it now. The car definitely handled differently when the dealer drops the PSI to 30 though. Feels like you're almost driving a boat, very noticeable squish with the tires, especially with 225/60R16's... For me, the increased pressure reduced wear on the tire edges, increases MPG a little, and yea maybe it does cause a little bit more feel in bumps in the road but for me, its worth the better ride.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll play around with the tire pressure and see where I like it. It's more than likely just me needing to get used to something "different." I'm not good with change. The struggle is real!!

·
Low Gear
2,934 Posts
But the steering feels great and almost sports car like. It's growing on me...
Some people say they don't like to drive a minivan. I say go drive an Honda Odyssey Touring. It drives very much like an Accord. Like a car that should be 1,000lbs lighter.

It's not the same "chore" as driving a minivan from Chrysler, Dodge, or Toyota, which are sprung softer and with a less controlled feel.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts