Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since swapping my '07 cloth seats with '03 leather 8 way, I now have an airbag alarm light on the dash.

The only wires that do not have a home are:

Green wire from the car seat belt harness.

(2) Light Green wires from the seat.

I do not find a seat belt circuit diagram in the Honda diagrams. Also, the two light greens are sometimes referred to in forums as SRS and sometimes low heat.

I have tried each light green separately to green, and both light greens to green with no success. Either way, the error light does go out momentarily after key on, but then comes back.

The yellow airbag plug from the car and the seat hooked up fine.

Does anyone have any detail on these wires?

·
BRWNFLSH now
7,373 Posts
If the seat belt buckle wiring is not hooked up, that's your problem. I need to replace mine right now. The buckles are a common problem.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the seat belt light fixed, so the airbag reset sounded like a possible solution.

I went through the reset procedure, but the light came back.

·
'06 Coupe EX V6/6MT
1,603 Posts
Does the 03 seat even have an airbag? I was thinking that airbag didn't appear until 05 or so...

·
BRWNFLSH now
7,373 Posts
The 03 EX V6 does have airbags in the seats. Curtains too. Even if the buckle turns the seatbelt light off, it can still cause the airbag light to stay on (go out, then come right back on). I'm trying to figure those wires out right now, so I don't have to replace the buckle.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmmmm

The seat plug wires are integrated in the ten wire plug from the seat, and that is the cause for the wire confusion.

I could cut the wires again, pull the seat belt clasp from the stock seat and wire them as they were originally.

Then reset the airbag light again.

I do not think there is an issue with the in-seat bag as the side bag light does not light up.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did change the clasp (not easy, the bracket is different so the clasp has to come off the bracket and Honda uses tamper proof screws on them).

Now I have the same clasps and wiring as before the change. I reset the bag light display, but it still comes back on.

There is no issue with the side bag light, so the yellow plug and in-seat bag must be OK.

What else is there left?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not much to photograph.

I have matched the latched/not latched seatbelt wires, and supplied power to the two seat power wires. Those things work well. They are soldered and heat shrinked.

A past honda mechanic has mentioned that there is different resistance in bags over different model years due to vendor changes, but testing resistance can set off a bag.

I may have to swap the seat bags from the old and new seats. One would really hope that since the yellow bag plugs went together OK that those wires match.

If you have a wiring problem send me a note, I can probably help with that.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I put a bunch of time in to it this weekend.

From the Civic tuners boards I found that a 2 Ohm resistor can be inserted into the plug, and the computer will think there is a good airbag connected. A 2 ohm resistor is a bit of an odd item so I had to order them online. Gave it a try, but no change so I suspect the bags are OK.

There is a side impact sensor under the driver seat (green stripe and ground wire). I removed it from the stock seat and connected it to the harness - no change.

All the wires on the grey passenger seat occupant sensors plug match the car harness colors, so I thought these were OK. Then I noticed that the circuit boards on the left side of the seat are different - the '03 is made by NEC. So I set about cutting, soldering and heat shrinking the wires to the plugs that fit the '07. There are two sensors in the '07 that are inside the seat rails that I could not get out. They read 190K ohms, and the closest I had was 100K ohm resistors, so I stuck them in.

After each mod I reset SRS with the two wire method.

Still have the seatbelt light.

Today I went to Auto Zone and had them read the codes, but nothing showed up.

It looks like Honda is the only source that can read airbag codes so I am looking at having them look for codes.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Local Honda dealer said they would scan......... FOR ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS!!

Neighborhood repair shop got me in right away and ran diags with their "Launch" unit. It said there was no signal from the weight sensor in the drivers seat - for no charge.

I pulled the sensors that were in the rails of the originals seats out. They have reverse thread bolts, anti-tamper heads, threadlock, bolts with flat heads, and metal molded around the heads. Honda really does not want those to come out.

Will install tomorrow and hope they still give the correct output.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have the same thing after replacing cloth with leather seats from a V6. SRS light was on for years, I finally took it to the stealership and paid 99.95 to have them reset the passenger sensor (recalibrate the passenger weight sensor) So far light has not come on again.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I also did the leather swap into my cloth accord and have the srs light on. I have everything hooked up properly but I still have the damn light on. I may just take the car to the stealership and have them re-calibrate the weight sensor and reset the light. damn!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mounted the sensors on the seat frame and hooked them up.......... reset the SRS............light flashed ............... still have the damned error light....

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
I have the same thing after replacing cloth with leather seats from a V6. SRS light was on for years, I finally took it to the stealership and paid 99.95 to have them reset the passenger sensor (recalibrate the passenger weight sensor) So far light has not come on again.
Lucky thing you didn't have an accident. As long as that SRS light is on, no airbags will deploy.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This is what I need - found in another mgr forum.

Hi, I have been suffering since 2006 when I bought my E46 318iSE as the airbag light was always ON and I could not work out how to fix this issue.
In 2007 I was told that the problem is with my seat occupancy sensor (using scanner tool) but I was also told that the problem could be the sensor itself or the pad in the passenger seat.
In the UK, BMW dealers charge 40pounds for the sensor and 75 pounds for the pad itself+ about 3 hours labour at 150 pounds per hour so I had to pay around 600 pounds ($1200) to fix this problem.

Now I want to show you how to find out the problem with the pad or sensor. you usually get only one error for the sensor and do not know whether the problem is with the pad or with the sensor.

Do this:
After scanning the ECU and getting passenger occupancy sensor error:
make a circuit like this, you will need:
2 resistors 100 ohm each (or 200 ohm) not less than 100 ohm.
1 diode (rectifier) 1N4001 or 1N4002 or 1N4003 or 1N4004 or 1N4005 or 1N4006 or 1N4007

connect this circuit to your sensor (disconnect the seat pad's cable and connect it to the sensor [the little black box]) and CLEAR the error with your scanner tool. if the airbag light comes back then the problem is with your sensor NOT the pad. If airbag light does not appear then you have to change the pad in the seat (what I had to do....) and it is a great deal of pain but it worths to see the car is fixed! I found this circuit from a website and as I am doing electrical engineering I could easily work out what it does!

WARNING: This should never make you tempted to connect this circuit to your sensor just to have your airbag light off. In this case your airbags MAY or MAY NOT operate, I am not sure to be honest, but I am pretty sure that the sensor is actually disabled as it can not measure the variable resistance. Just simply order a new pad and on a weekend remove the seat and fix it (it took about 2 hours for me). It feels very good when something is DONE and DUSTED!

Another way of checking the pad is to measure its resistance (you need to have an ohm-meter) :
A faulty pad has higher resistance (mine had 13Mega Ohm) but usually the pad's resistance should be between 9- 10M Ohm with no occupant and when someone seats on it, it should drop to under 100 Ohm. That is the way the sensor can sense whether someone is actually sitting or not.
Attached Thumbnails

·
Registered
17 Posts
Looks like someone did the leather seat swap for me, i realize this because my car originally came with cloth and there is no cloth left in the car except for the center console armrest.

Anyways I scanned the SRS light myself and the odd thing is it isn't even telling me about anything having to do with the weight sensor in the passenger seat, instead its telling me increased resistance in the passenger belt tensioner. There is also a code for SRS unit failure, but ive read to diagnose any other issues first.

Im going to go to the stealership today and mention the lifetime warranty on the seat belts and start from there.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Because the cost is so low, I tried the resistors and diode fix that works on the BMWs. It did not work.

Because Honda holds the information on the occupancy sensor so close, and the calibration is proprietary to their equipment I do not think there is a workaround.

I spoke to the stealership and they are willing to recal the sensors, but since they are not connected to the forks in the rail I do not think, and they could not guarantee, any results. At a cost of $200 to scan and recal I am better off buying another electric seat bottom from an '07, swap the outsides, then recal. I have one on order.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
9 Participants
bobbo
Drive Accord Honda Forums
Drive Accord forum, a community where Honda Accord owners can discuss reviews, service, parts, and share mods.
Full Forum Listing