Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i bought my 2012 i4 lxs, the dealership gave me only one key fob. finally got around to ordering a second one on ebay and i decided to go with something different. paid $10 shipped then my cousin who works at honda hooked it up with cutting and programming the key for $20. so pretty much paid $30 for a whole new key fob.

Attachments

·
Just here for the food
1,873 Posts
you lucky bastard. i have that exact fob... CUT! by a local locksmith, but not programmed. my honda dealership doesn't love me enough and i don't have a hookup haha :(

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you lucky bastard. i have that exact fob... CUT! by a local locksmith, but not programmed. my honda dealership doesn't love me enough and i don't have a hookup haha :(
how much are they trying to charge you to program? Heard its close to $100. Might be wrong tho

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I called like 4-5 dealerships and they said around 120-180 to program. Those thieves
Damn idk why they would charge that much. He said it's fast and easy to program. probably took 10 mins.

how much are they trying to charge you to program? Heard its close to $100. Might be wrong tho
$115... for an OEM one! I got heckled for wanting to get my flip key programmed, of course lol

honestly it's super easy. if you open your remote, there's only one piece that's a straight swap to the flip key. all you're changing is the housing of the remote.

·
Just here for the food
1,873 Posts
so it worked...

Been there, done that. Car will start but stalls a couple seconds after turning over. I know that the thing with flip keys is that if the transponder chip is too far away from the... thing in the... immobilizer thing in the steering wheel, the car will reject it. Like what's happening for me. Or it could be that the battery is weak and thus not producing a strong enough signal for the immobilizer to detect it. Or something. Idunno. I'm just bummed that I have that awesome frickin' key, CUT, programmed to lock/unlock the car but can't use it to start the car lol :( kinda gave up on the whole thing way back when. I wrote up a rant thread about it. Jen mentioned that there's something particular that has to be programmed at a dealership with their equipment or something, which makes complete ethical sense but also blows at the same time. I just wish I had a hookup like you do lol

Edit: Silly me. It worked............ I swear I tried swapping in the original remote waaaaaaaaay back when and it didn't work. I remember it like it was yesterday. It was a quite rainy evening, and I was sitting the car with the original key, flip key, and a my mini screwdriver+bits set in my lap. Put the original key into the ignition, "programmed" the flip key remote so it could unlock/lock the doors... thinking that that's all I needed to do. Put the flip key into the ignition, and the green key light on the dash stayed on and then flashed. I knew from the day I got the key cut that attempting to start the car wouldn't work because it'd just stall out. So then I figured, why not swap the remotes. Did that, and it didn't work. I thought I "over-stacked" the car's remote memory by not paying attention to all the "programming" I THOUGHT I was doing, because neither of the keys would lock/unlock the car at one point. But fortunately I was able to fix that quickly by carefully reprogramming both. Needless to say, that was when I gave up on the flip key and its been sitting in my drawer since then... and this was months ago.

Just a few minutes ago, I figured I'd try it all over again. I read up on different forums on how people got this flip key mod to work, and then re-read through this particular thread, and saw that swapping the remotes would make the most sense. I lost hope before, because I was hoping that I'd be able to use my original key as a spare without having to go to a Honda dealership and pay an arm and a leg for programming. Anyway, I put the original remote into the flip key and the non-programmed remote from the flip key into the original fob, turned the flip key to "ON" (II), and almost screamed out of excitement when I saw the green key light go off and not ever come back. I had to catch my breath lol. Then I started the car, and it cranked right up and stayed on. Let it run for about 10 seconds to see if it was playing a mind game, and it sure stayed on! To make sure everything was right, I cut the engine, took the flip key out and rotated it so the other side of the blade/remote was... y'know. That worked, too. So now I'm a happy flip key owner/user lol. I'm not happy, however, about only having one working key. The other remote works to unlock/lock the car, and that's it. So I need to get that and the other two remotes I have programmed, as well as the other two blank keys cut.. like.. asap. But I have no luck getting a break from Honda dealerships around here.

Oh the original key pretty much fell apart when I took the screw out lol. Its been hanging onto dear life for... almost a year now lol surprised it held on this long.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited by Moderator)
What about those with memory seating?
Idk about that. There's no memory seating button on my OEM key fob.

Been there, done that. Car will start but stalls a couple seconds after turning over. I know that the thing with flip keys is that if the transponder chip is too far away from the... thing in the... immobilizer thing in the steering wheel, the car will reject it. Like what's happening for me. Or it could be that the battery is weak and thus not producing a strong enough signal for the immobilizer to detect it. Or something. Idunno. I'm just bummed that I have that awesome frickin' key, CUT, programmed to lock/unlock the car but can't use it to start the car lol :( kinda gave up on the whole thing way back when. I wrote up a rant thread about it. Jen mentioned that there's something particular that has to be programmed at a dealership with their equipment or something, which makes complete ethical sense but also blows at the same time. I just wish I had a hookup like you do lol

Edit: Silly me. It worked............ I swear I tried swapping in the original remote waaaaaaaaay back when and it didn't work. I remember it like it was yesterday. It was a quite rainy evening, and I was sitting the car with the original key, flip key, and a my mini screwdriver+bits set in my lap. Put the original key into the ignition, "programmed" the flip key remote so it could unlock/lock the doors... thinking that that's all I needed to do. Put the flip key into the ignition, and the green key light on the dash stayed on and then flashed. I knew from the day I got the key cut that attempting to start the car wouldn't work because it'd just stall out. So then I figured, why not swap the remotes. Did that, and it didn't work. I thought I "over-stacked" the car's remote memory by not paying attention to all the "programming" I THOUGHT I was doing, because neither of the keys would lock/unlock the car at one point. But fortunately I was able to fix that quickly by carefully reprogramming both. Needless to say, that was when I gave up on the flip key and its been sitting in my drawer since then... and this was months ago.

Just a few minutes ago, I figured I'd try it all over again. I read up on different forums on how people got this flip key mod to work, and then re-read through this particular thread, and saw that swapping the remotes would make the most sense. I lost hope before, because I was hoping that I'd be able to use my original key as a spare without having to go to a Honda dealership and pay an arm and a leg for programming. Anyway, I put the original remote into the flip key and the non-programmed remote from the flip key into the original fob, turned the flip key to "ON" (II), and almost screamed out of excitement when I saw the green key light go off and not ever come back. I had to catch my breath lol. Then I started the car, and it cranked right up and stayed on. Let it run for about 10 seconds to see if it was playing a mind game, and it sure stayed on! To make sure everything was right, I cut the engine, took the flip key out and rotated it so the other side of the blade/remote was... y'know. That worked, too. So now I'm a happy flip key owner/user lol. I'm not happy, however, about only having one working key. The other remote works to unlock/lock the car, and that's it. So I need to get that and the other two remotes I have programmed, as well as the other two blank keys cut.. like.. asap. But I have no luck getting a break from Honda dealerships around here.

Oh the original key pretty much fell apart when I took the screw out lol. Its been hanging onto dear life for... almost a year now lol surprised it held on this long.

Glad it worked for you. I'm just glad I have two sets of keys now and not worry too much about losing one and not having a spare. This accord was my first used car purchase. Always had 2 sets + vallet with my previous purchases ('07 Cr-V and '10 RAV4)

·
Just here for the food
1,873 Posts
Yeah thanks man, I'm glad too! This is my first car period and it only came with one key, unfortunately. I'll get some extras situated eventually. Smh lol

·
Registered
12 Posts
Some dealers will cut your key for free i have the same exact one u bought from eBay all i did was transfer the internal chip to the switch blade key and it worked :wink

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm going to do this soon...I plan to go the route of switching internals to a blank key and taking it to a locksmith to cut matching my spare.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I bought a switchblade key from amazon hoping to have something smaller in my pocket than the Sword of a key which is stock.. the damn fob is HUGE, so I didn't use it and stuck with the OEM key.

·
2005 Honda Accord LX
32 Posts
for those who have gone to the switchblade style of FOB, did you find a location in the new FOB case to put the old RFID chip/transponder?

if so, do any of you have a picture of what the FOB looks like from the inside?

·
Just here for the food
1,873 Posts
for those who have gone to the switchblade style of FOB, did you find a location in the new FOB case to put the old RFID chip/transponder?

if so, do any of you have a picture of what the FOB looks like from the inside?
up until the 8th gen, the transponder chip and circuit board are separated. on the 8th gen remotes, the transponder chip is soldered to the circuit board.

with the switchblade fob (at least, the particular "iteration" that i have) has a slot for the transponder chip as well as a spot for the circuit board itself, of course. i'm pretty sure all of them have a designated slot for the transponder chip anyway.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts