·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So, I've got estimates ranging from $1.70 to $75. Higher ones are said to be for high-security keys. Is my key one of them?

·
(ノ ̄д ̄)&#1
1,015 Posts
That's right. The guts are being swapped from the old key to the new key which is already programed.

Problem, though, is that the blank key is probably thicker than OEM and you may have problems. There's a pretty large thread about aftermarket Switchblade keys on the forum somewhere that I would recommend reading.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll search for that thanks. :thmsup: Do you know if these keys have a transponder?

·
(ノ ̄д ̄)&#1
1,015 Posts
Nope, need to move the old transponder as well, and depending on the key, you might have to move the transponder closer to the key's base.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:ugh: sounds more complicated than just switching out the internals...

<-- zero tools

·
Registered
44 Posts
I did this same thing, but for some reason my new key never did work to start the car. I transferred the internal button thing, and the transponder chip, had the new key cut at the dealership, but when I put it into my ignition and turn the key the car tries to start but never completely turns over. Had to put everything back into my original key, which thankfully still works! I wasted $20 on the new switchblade key. It won't work for me. I have a '07 Honda Accord. Never did figure out why it didn't work.

·
&#65288;&#12494;&#65507;&#1076;&#65507;&#65289;&#1
1,015 Posts
The two common problems when the key doesn't work is because the transponder is too far away from the ignition or the key's blade is too thick and would require filing it down a little bit.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hm, thanks for the advice. The key's blade fit fine, no problems there. I don't know how the transponder could be too far away from the ignition, it was right in the front of the key fob right where the other one was. It went in, turned, car sounded like it wanted to turn over, but just didn't. Then when I put the stuff back in the original key it started right up....I'm at my wits end! :(

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just don't understand. I bought the key fob. Took it to dealer, they cut it to match my original by the VIN # of my car, I opened my original, switched the buttons, took out the computer chip, and put them in the new one. Yet it still does not start the car. Put everything back in the original and that still starts the car fine. I simply don't know what I'm missing!

:headbash::headbash::headbash::headbash::headbash::headbash::headbash::headbash::headbash::headbash::headbash::headbash::headbash::headbash::headbash::headbash:

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmm... maybe the transponder just isn't working when you switch it?

Try switching everything back to the original key, but not the transponder. Do you get the same result?

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have the switchblade key and it works perfect to this day. All i did was switch out the "guts" from one of my spares and vwola! the only issue I can say i have is the fact that the switchblade key will not unlock my doors manually but at this time im not worried about it since the remote works fine. there is a thread on here as well with the basics and a walk through on how to switch out the keys + transponder.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts