Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are long time Honda Accord owners and contemplating switching to an Acura TSX w/ 4cylinder and without the tech package. Our current Accord EXL now has 200K miles and it is time for a new one. The closest Acura dealership is ~2hrs away and so service during the warranty period is certainly a concern. I also find that the Acura dealerships are looking to make a BIG profit on the Acuracare extended warranties. Does anyone have any insight on the following:

1) The dealership markets a "lifetime loaner vehicle" when in for service...regardless of duration...2hrs or 2 weeks. Does anyone have any experience with a similar program at an Acura dealership?

2) Comments, good or bad, regarding the TSX are welcome...

3) Are the parts more expensive in comparison to Honda Accord parts?

4) Any other comments are also welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Chevydude

·
Banned
259 Posts
Congrats, I don't think you should get the extended warrenty because you are buying a new car and It would be a waste of money. The new TSX are sweet but the V6 is way overpriced. I never had an Acura but i'm guessing the parts will be more expensive but not by much. Good luck with the new Acura TSX.

·
Old Bird...sometimes wise
13,915 Posts
We are long time Honda Accord owners and contemplating switching to an Acura TSX w/ 4cylinder and without the tech package. Our current Accord EXL now has 200K miles and it is time for a new one. The closest Acura dealership is ~2hrs away and so service during the warranty period is certainly a concern. I also find that the Acura dealerships are looking to make a BIG profit on the Acuracare extended warranties. Does anyone have any insight on the following:

1) The dealership markets a "lifetime loaner vehicle" when in for service...regardless of duration...2hrs or 2 weeks. Does anyone have any experience with a similar program at an Acura dealership?

2) Comments, good or bad, regarding the TSX are welcome...

3) Are the parts more expensive in comparison to Honda Accord parts?

4) Any other comments are also welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Chevydude
Loaner is "when available", keep that in mind. They may have only two which can make for a long wait.

TSX does require premium fuel, does it not?

Acura is a "premium" brand so even interchangable parts with Honda will have a higher price tag.

Two hours each way for simple warranty service is a deal killer, think about it.

·
Sugar coating for you ..
6,119 Posts
Loaner is "when available", keep that in mind. They may have only two which can make for a long wait.

TSX does require premium fuel, does it not?

Acura is a "premium" brand so even interchangable parts with Honda will have a higher price tag.

Two hours each way for simple warranty service is a deal killer, think about it.
Recommended for 4cyl, required for v6.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I am also thinking of going with an acura but the TL with all the bells! I sit down with them on Monday or Tuesday to work out the deal.

·
13,915 Posts
Recommended for 4cyl, required for v6.

Good point there. If you paid the premium price for an Acura, even the four banger, would you not want the best performance and full horsepower you paid for? That means premium fuel for what its worth. Just another item to consider.

·
Registered
410 Posts
My bro has the TSX and it's a basically a minor upgrade to the Accord IMO. The only 3 difference that I really cared for was the more comfortable seats, memory seat, and bluetooth (though the '11 Accord EXL will include the last two). The TSX felt quicker than my car but I didn't care too much about that, these cars aren't built for racing.

The one thing I hated about the TSX is the 2 back doors. Though it doesn't affect you, the driver, those doors are seriously too small. I've banged my head on the roof/door so many times trying to get out and I'm not a tall person at all.

·
mobiless2
2,200 Posts
TSX is nice, cost about 2k more, & has 11 hp more. Accord warranty 3/36, Acura 4/50, Powertrain Warranty Accord 5/60, Acura 6/70, hope this helps.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
970 Posts
Acura TL SHawd or MDX or RDXturbo are good but TSX is another accord junior!
I would rather look at G25 or G37 from infinity!!!

·
Registered
188 Posts
^ couldnt agree with you more...

esp since they look like crap IMO.....the front end at least

·
whataaa?!?
178 Posts
The "G" sedans are x100 better than the TSX but they're a bit pricier. The TSX got face raped in 2010.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Im pretty sure the TSX says to put in 91 (required)

My dad drives that model your going to buy (4 cyl w/ Tech) he always puts 87 but when he wants me to go fill it up; i put 91 and the car just feels incredibly better..

08+ Accord 2.4L is @ a 10.5:1 compression ratio while the 09+ TSX is @ a 11.0:1 compression ratio, so yes, you should put 91

As far as ride quality, it is much like the accord, just a bit more firmer (in a good way) as you feel more control over the car (stock vs stock). Definitely a great choice for the price range

As someone said before about rear doors, I agree, they do feel really small, I felt like the 08+ Accord Coupe has more room than the TSX

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
TSX vs Accord

Thanks for the input. The brochure states that 91 octane is required for the V6 model but states that 91 octane is recommended for the 4 cylinder model. I have read much about the 91 octane debate, but if Acura truly wanted the consumer to run 91 octane the brochure should specify required. The salesman also told me the same thing....but would we expect anything else from him except to state what the brochure says.

Being long time Accord owners I find that the TSX rides much better than the Accord, the road noise is MUCH less, the steering is much tighter, but I do agree that the backseat is tighter....which is not a concern for my wife and I. Our back seat days are long gone.

Keep the info flowing...love to hear the comments.

·
13,915 Posts
Im pretty sure the TSX says to put in 91 (required)

My dad drives that model your going to buy (4 cyl w/ Tech) he always puts 87 but when he wants me to go fill it up; i put 91 and the car just feels incredibly better..

08+ Accord 2.4L is @ a 10.5:1 compression ratio while the 09+ TSX is @ a 11.0:1 compression ratio, so yes, you should put 91
Nope,
DanielC and Chevydude are both on the money.........straight from the horse's mouth:

http://www.acura.com/Engine.aspx?model=TSX&modelYear=2010

Just because a car has an 11:1 compression ratio does not mean it requires premium fuel.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Required vs recommended

Nope,
DanielC and Chevydude are both on the money.........straight from the horse's mouth:

http://www.acura.com/Engine.aspx?model=TSX&modelYear=2010

Just because a car has an 11:1 compression ratio does not mean it requires premium fuel.
Thanks again...I understand the possible performance upsides from using 91 octane, but should an owner go with lower octane in the 4 cylinder it seems that Acura is ok with it. Kinda like your daily "recommended" limit of potassium....jk.

Thanks again

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
The TSX has EPS (electronic power steering ) like civic SI and other Acura's so that's why steering is probably better .

On fuel thing , I read many TSX were having ping issues with 87 , not sure on yr/model and I think there was a firmware update but again don't know how much it fixed it .
I would expect 91 while not mandatory, should be used ,Acura always tunes for 91+ .
Even the Smart car is using 91 :D

·
Super Moderator
3,434 Posts
The one thing I hated about the TSX is the 2 back doors. Though it doesn't affect you, the driver, those doors are seriously too small. I've banged my head on the roof/door so many times trying to get out and I'm not a tall person at all.
I noticed this, too. And once you're in there, the vertical door pulls don't allow you to fully use the arm rest and block the power window controls.

On that note, the big down side for me was the overall interior. I like the size of the car and didn't mind that it was snugger than my Accord, but the way the dash and door panels are shaped, it seemed like I was always bumping into something. Like the current Accord, the interior is not one of Honda's best. Quality of materials, yes, they're great. But overall functionality I felt was ... meh. The little half needles bother me. Again, less functional and more of a design statement. They especially bothered me because I could never see them. When the wheel is adjusted comfortably for me, I couldn't see from ~40MPH thru 80MPH - where I would most likely be driving 90% of the time.

As for performance . . . that engine and the 6MT are awesome. I would use premium fuel and be fine with it ... an extra $3/tank is worth it. The ride handling combination was fantastic. Features for the $$$, very good. I personally would spring for the Tech package because Honda's NAVI totally changes how you interact with the car. The additional info that's displayed on the NAVI screen is create and the voice commands are cool. And of course the NAVI itself is hands down one of the best out there.

The deal breaker was the interior for me - where you spend all your time. The seats are some of the best I've sat in but the headrests bothered me way more than they did in my 08 Accord (tilted too far forward to allow you to sit up straight.) I would suggest an extended test drive if possible and picture yourself sitting in the car for a 10 hour road trip. I did and it just didn't click for me. Great car but some of the details lost me.

·
Honda Nation
2,184 Posts
As far as the engine goes, the K24a in the TSX is a derivative of the K20 in the RSX Type-S from 2002-2004. This is a very good engine (like most if not all Honda engines). Simply follow the maintenance guidelines and you should have 200,000 miles of trouble free driving.

And, no timing belts to change :yes:

I love my Accord coupe, but if I had it to do all over again, I would have given the TSX more of a look when I was looking for a new car. I was so fixated on getting the V6 and 6 speed manual for a car in my price range, but I know now the TSX is an excellent performer with the manual transmission. Not to mention bluetooth, HIDs, power passenger seat, and the really cool floating needle gauges, none of which are on my Accord.

I never even drove one, and I wish I had.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
As far as the engine goes, the K24a in the TSX is a derivative of the K20 in the RSX Type-S from 2002-2004. This is a very good engine (like most if not all Honda engines). Simply follow the maintenance guidelines and you should have 200,000 miles of trouble free driving.

And, no timing belts to change :yes:

I love my Accord coupe, but if I had it to do all over again, I would have given the TSX more of a look when I was looking for a new car. I was so fixated on getting the V6 and 6 speed manual for a car in my price range, but I know now the TSX is an excellent performer with the manual transmission. Not to mention bluetooth, HIDs, power passenger seat, and the really cool floating needle gauges, none of which are on my Accord.

I never even drove one, and I wish I had.
Gen2 TSX uses K24Z3 just like Accord , it's basically same engine design with higher CR and slightly different cam's AFAIK.

Its not like K20a/24a2 with Vtec on both intake an exhaust valves , even though the power is up there with the 09+ .

1 - 20 of 22 Posts