Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You guys think its good idea to switch from OEM Honda oil to castrol high milage oil? my car just hit 112k and I've changed oil consistently every 3k miles since it was driven off the lot. Im just wondering if it'll make my engine last longer.

·
Low Gear
2,935 Posts
I used it a few times when I had my 97 Civic (110K+). Never noticed any different or benefit. Of course I would not noticed. So I went back to "what-ever-brand-that-is-on-sale" brand regular oil.

IMO, hype marketing.

If you been doing the same thing for 112K, and it works for you, keep on doing it. The most important thing is change. Not brand.

·
Registered
646 Posts
You guys think its good idea to switch from OEM Honda oil to castrol high mileage oil? . . .
If by "OEM Honda oil" you mean the motor oil sold under the Honda brand name, it is, in fact, Mobil Clean 5000 (MC5K), bottled for resale by Honda dealers. (You can read that on the bottle.) And, if you go to link below, you'll see that MC5K is pretty stout, among the best conventional oils you can buy. So is Castrol High Mileage. In other words, there's really no significant advantage to one over another, particularly if you are changing motor oil every 3k miles. But you can judge that for yourself from the linked data. http://www.pqiamerica.com/testresults3a.html

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If by "OEM Honda oil" you mean the motor oil sold under the Honda brand name, it is, in fact, Mobil Clean 5000 (MC5K), bottled for resale by Honda dealers. (You can read that on the bottle.) And, if you go to link below, you'll see that MC5K is pretty stout, among the best conventional oils you can buy. So is Castrol High Mileage. In other words, there's really no significant advantage to one over another, particularly if you are changing motor oil every 3k miles. But you can judge that for yourself from the linked data. http://www.pqiamerica.com/testresults3a.html
This is exactly the answer i was looking for :thmsup: looks like im sticking to old faithful. thanks for all.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Highercal: I have an update, and this gets a little complicated. Please bear with me.

The second item in this link -- http://archive.constantcontact.com/fs003/1100412198756/archive/1103648730907.html -- indicates that American Honda Motor Company (AHMC) has a new oil supplier for its factory fill and its bottled oil products, ConocoPhillips (CP). It will be several months before CP's products begin to appear at Honda dealers as "Honda Motor Oil," but it will happen.

ConocoPhillips, as you may know, has several motor oil products in addition to those sold under its own name. Those products include Motorcraft (bottled for the Ford Motor Co.) and Kendall Motor Oil. So, the question now is whether CP will simply repackage Motorcraft motor oil and distribute it as Honda Motor Oil -- which I think is likely -- or sell one of its other products as Honda Motor Oil.

The reason I believe CP will repackage Motorcraft as Honda Motor Oil is because Honda's factory fill is 5W-20 weight oil, which is also what Honda recommends for most of its cars. (The exceptions are Civic Si's and Acura's RDX. Honda recommends 5W-30 weight oil for the Si's and 5W-30 synthetic oil for its turbocharged RDX.)

But this is where it gets interesting. Motorcraft's 5W-20 weight oil is a semi-synthetic oil, and a very good one. So, if that's what CP supplies as "Honda Motor Oil" it would be a significant upgrade from Mobil Clean 5000, which is a conventional oil.

Thus, if that's how this plays out, you'll be a beneficiary of the Honda's changed oil supplier if you continue to buy the Honda's bottled oil.

Let me add one thing. What I've said here only applies to the bottled Honda Motor Oil. It does not apply to the bulk oil that Honda dealers are free to buy. The latter, bulk oil, can come from any supplier, and bulk oil typically is what Honda dealers use for customer oil changes unless the customer specifically asks for "Honda Motor Oil."

·
Banned
578 Posts
Highercal: I have an update, and this gets a little complicated. Please bear with me.

The second item in this link -- http://archive.constantcontact.com/fs003/1100412198756/archive/1103648730907.html -- indicates that American Honda Motor Company (AHMC) has a new oil supplier for its factory fill and its bottled oil products, ConocoPhillips (CP). It will be several months before CP's products begin to appear at Honda dealers as "Honda Motor Oil," but it will happen.

ConocoPhillips, as you may know, has several motor oil products in addition to those sold under its own name. Those products include Motorcraft (bottled for the Ford Motor Co.) and Kendall Motor Oil. So, the question now is whether CP will simply repackage Motorcraft motor oil and distribute it as Honda Motor Oil -- which I think is likely -- or sell one of its other products as Honda Motor Oil.

The reason I believe CP will repackage Motorcraft as Honda Motor Oil is because Honda's factory fill is 5W-20 weight oil, which is also what Honda recommends for most of its cars. (The exceptions are Civic Si's and Acura's RDX. Honda recommends 5W-30 weight oil for the Si's and 5W-30 synthetic oil for its turbocharged RDX.)

But this is where it gets interesting. Motorcraft's 5W-20 weight oil is a semi-synthetic oil, and a very good one. So, if that's what CP supplies as "Honda Motor Oil" it would be a significant upgrade from Mobil Clean 5000, which is a conventional oil.

Thus, if that's how this plays out, you'll be a beneficiary of the Honda's changed oil supplier if you continue to buy the Honda's bottled oil.

Let me add one thing. What I've said here only applies to the bottled Honda Motor Oil. It does not apply to the bulk oil that Honda dealers are free to buy. The latter, bulk oil, can come from any supplier, and bulk oil typically is what Honda dealers use for customer oil changes unless the customer specifically asks for "Honda Motor Oil."
All speculation, isnt it? And really...I dont think it makes a hill of beans difference.

·
Registered
646 Posts
All speculation, isnt it? And really...I dont think it makes a hill of beans difference.
Speculation? No, it's a fact that ConocoPhillips is now HMC's motor oil supplier. As for whether it "makes a hill of beans," you can say that about most of what you read on any automobile website. I mean, do you really care that someone puts 18" wheels on his or her Accord sedan, or chooses to black-out the trim surrounding his windows?

On the other hand, I think many Honda owners who visit this site do care about the motor oil products they put in their cars. (The OP does. That's why he asked his questions.) Some oil products simply are better than others. MC5K, for example, is a better product than the XOM's Superflo for a host of reasons. I can't speak for you of course, but if it works out (as it may in this instance) that Honda owners will get a premium product at no additional cost, that too (IMHO) is worth knowing.

Additionally, if you care about the industry -- and perhaps trade HMC, XOM, RDS-A, COP, etc., as I do -- the fact that XOM is no longer a supplier to AHMC is worth knowing, particularly on a day like today when the market is up 200+ points.:thmsup:

·
Registered
1,819 Posts

·
Old Bird...sometimes wise
13,914 Posts
Stick with what you have been doing. I think 3,000 mile oil changes are 1960's thinking but it has worked well for you. Stick with the oil and change interval you have been using.

·
Registered
156 Posts
quick question(not to thread hijack here but hey it is related - kinda). Just bought a 95k 03 accord v6. I'm going to be doing all my own service on it. However 5w20 is the manufacturer recommend weight. Should i stick with it here in colorado or go for something heavier like 5w30. Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
oil

I have a Honda Accord 2000 used in Canada, and it is indicated "5w30" on the oil cap. Why would you state otherwise...

btw, i am not a mechanic.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I have a Honda Accord 2000 used in Canada, and it is indicated "5w30" on the oil cap. Why would you state otherwise...

btw, i am not a mechanic.
007, this thread is ten months old. It dealt with the issue of 20 weight motor oil and which oil manufacturer was (and is currently) the supplier of American Honda's bottled oil products. It isn't relevant to your model year Honda, nor was there any mention of it.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I'm using Mobil 1 HM 5w30 now. I just had the oil pan gasket and crankshaft seal replaced. With 154k miles, I figured the added ZDP may be a good thing along with a bit more cleaning/seal conditioners. HM oils are sort of a mystery though because they are not specific about what type of seal conditioners they are referring to. It has always been thought that it's just an added bit of ester to get the seals to swell up a bit.

* I do not think most Honda owners need such an oil though. Only engines that may have been neglected a bit.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts