Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i think my wife's factory (2008) battery is dying, it's not holding charge overnight during a recent stretch of cold weather (about -20 C, though it's really not THAT cold).

so i'm looking into replacements, and i'm considering an AGM. but i've read that the charging characteristics are slightly different, and at least on some other cars, the car needs to be 'reprogrammed' to accommodate the different charging characteristics?? is this true of the accord v6?

i think this is necessary on bmws.

also, suggestions for good batteries that can be purchased readily in canada?

thanks

·
Super Moderator
7,853 Posts
AGM batteries are not cheap, for my money, I would rather buy the Canadian Tire 4-year free-replacement warranty Eliminator series battery, seems the best price point when everything is factored in, and that's what I did last Nov.

It had no problem at all starting during the last few weeks when the temperature dipped down to -20C.

I had bought a highly praised Kirkland battery from Costco 3 years ago, it became very weak last Nov, load test showed it needs to be replaced, I only got 30% of the money back because I was 1 month past the 50% refund time frame, will never buy a Kirkland battery again.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i originally looked at the CT eliminator batteries, but it would be $120 compared with the $155 AGM for the 24F group...i guess that's nearly 30% extra.....i got sucked into the marketing i guess...want to make sure it's reliable, it's been a pain boosting the car every day this week and i think the battery is in bad shape.

the reviews on the CT site for the AGM were much more encouraging than the ones for the eliminator batteries

if i wanted to go AGM, is there anything other special procedure other than installing it?

i don't even know where else ot buy batteries, other than walmart, CT, and costco....who sells batteries these days?

·
Super Moderator
7,853 Posts
Parts Source, NAPA, UAP, almost all dealerships and independent garages do.

But you can't beat the convenience of Canadian Tires.

Feel free to go the AGM route as it has 5 years free replacement warranty before the pro-rating calculation kicks in, and if Canadian Tires sell the battery to you based on their own listing, and does not tell you what needs to be changed in YOUR car model, then I would imagine they are on the hook.

As an aside, I am 99.999999% certain there is NOTHING you can do with how your car charges a battery, I have never read it in the past 7.5 years of owning my car, and nothing in the factory service manual about it, plus I would also imagine the manufacturer of AGM batteries would factor in that the majority of automotive manufacturers have not designed in any special mode for AGM battery charging, so the AGM batteries have to be designed with the highest common denominators in mind.

Finally, how long do you plan to keep this Accord? The warranty is not transferrable to another car or owner.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
part source is basically canadian tire, they're having a promotion on exide edge batteries (which i think is a rebranded eliminator ultra), pretty much same price but 4 year warranty. NAPA i think sells something by johnson controls, and dealership and independent mechanic will mark up...i'm hoping to avoid the markup and use the extra money to buy a better battery

if the AGM wasn't on sale, it would be almost 200, in which case i'd have gone with the regular eliminator at 120. but my concern is that my wife usually just makes short trips, and i've read that AGMs aren''t as tolerant as flooded batteries with partial charges...???

we're not planning on selling the car ever, it's my wife's car, she's had it from new in 08,and it's only got 40,000km on it. she's attached to it, it looks pretty much new, so transfer of the warranty isn't really a concern

·
Wisdom Born of Age
1,750 Posts
There are different kinds of AGM's depending on usage and unless you have or plan to have a killer stereo system stick with a conventional battery and don't waste your money

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm so my battery finally died while I was at Canadian tire... They didn't have the eliminator battery so I got the agm. Luckily I had the foresight to bring a 10mm socket and ratchet. I was just about to install it in the parking lot when I noticed the positive was loose from having removed the battery the night before.

Anyway, I had just enough juice to get home. I'll install the new battery tomorrow cause if got dark and had you get dinner cooking, lol.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts