Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was surprised to hear the new Accords do not come come from factory with synthetic oil. My '06 BMW used it and so does my '08 Mustang GT. Is it ok to start using synthetic when I change my oil for first time? I know the regular oil is 0W-20. And did many of you switch to synthetic yet?? Thanks

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
I was surprised to hear the new Accords do not come come from factory with synthetic oil. My '06 BMW used it and so does my '08 Mustang GT. Is it ok to start using synthetic when I change my oil for first time? I know the regular oil is 0W-20. And did many of you switch to synthetic yet?? Thanks
Yes, you can switch to synthetic with no problems. I ran my factory fill to 10% and then switched to Quaker State Full Synthetic.

Jay

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
My Honda dealer has told me that they only replace the oil with full synthetic oil. I haven't changed my oil yet because I only have 3,300 miles.

·
Registered
492 Posts
0W20 that is required by the Accord only comes in synthetic blend or full synthetic. what did the dealer say it came with?

·
Fail Zero bcg
536 Posts
synthetic for sure as it does not have any negatives compared to dino oil except for being a few dollars more expensive.

·
Old Bird...sometimes wise
10,163 Posts
0W20 that is required by the Accord only comes in synthetic blend or full synthetic. what did the dealer say it came with?
That is correct and only two brands that I am aware of come in semi synth (blend) form.....Honda and Castrol makes one. It would be difficult to buy a 0W20 that is not full synthetic.

·
Bout it, Bout it
738 Posts
Quality synthetic oil is so reasonably priced at Wally World that I see no reason why one wouldn't run it.

·
1,655 Posts
Honda's factory fill oil is supposed to have a very high molybdenum (moly) loading to facilitate break-in. The topic of break-in is nearly as controversial as whose synthetic is best. Many argue that today's engines are so well-made leaving the factory that break-in really are moot. At the other end is this article I found. It's pretty anal, which is what you might expect from a BMW forum, which is where I found it.

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/sh...90&postcount=4

If you live in a cold climate, synthetic has a huge advantage in terms of easier cold cranking and in initial lubrication - less engine wear in the first few seconds.

I consider synthetic a very inexpensive insurance policy for a long engine life. It is necessary for a long engine life? Probably not. But it's cheap insurance, for sure.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Synthetic oil is what I prefer.

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
I always use Mobil one in everything, Wally World has it for the cheapest price.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I always use Mobil one in everything, Wally World has it for the cheapest price.
Hi Greg what is Wally World? I tried on google. Couldn't find it. But I got 5 quarts container mobil1 5w-20 at Walmart for $25.17.

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
You got it, Wal Mart, the cheapest place to buy Mobil One.

·
24th Gear
1,233 Posts
I get my Mobil 1 at work (Advance Auto) they have it on sale every few months, $30-35 for 5+ quarts (reg $38) and a Mobil 1 filter(reg $13).

·
Registered
139 Posts
I get my Mobil 1 at work (Advance Auto) they have it on sale every few months, $30-35 for 5 quarts and a Mobil 1 filter. (Regular price for the same is about $65)
Walmart, 23.95 for 5+ quart jug mobil 1.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I get my Mobil 1 at work (Advance Auto) they have it on sale every few months, $30-35 for 5+ quarts (reg $38) and a Mobil 1 filter(reg $13).
Walmart has 5 quart for $25.17. They don't have 5+.

You got it, Wal Mart, the cheapest place to buy Mobil One.
Great:thmsup:. I didn't know that Walmart is also called as Wally World. I was actually pleasantly surprised when I saw synthetic 5 quart jug for $25.17. Bought one immediately. That's where I will buy my oil from here on unless I see Autozone or Advance Auto sell that oil at a better price than Walmart.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought my first Honda (97 EX Coupe), but for every vehicle I have owned I have run Royal Purple Motor Oil. I don't know what I should use yet for my Honda because I know it burns a little right now.

·
24th Gear
1,233 Posts
I just bought my first Honda (97 EX Coupe), but for every vehicle I have owned I have run Royal Purple Motor Oil. I don't know what I should use yet for my Honda because I know it burns a little right now.
I've heard bad things about Royal Purple and Hondas... no first hand, just stories of engine blowing up/seizing.

How many miles are on it? I'm assuming a 97 has pretty high mileage, I don't think it'd be worth it to start running Synthetic, prolly be better off with a High Mileage oil.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi yank1, it is ok to switch back and forth from synthetic blend to full synthetic oil. We recommend using our *******. It should help improve performance while giving you the benefit of better cleaning and resistance to mechanical breakdown. - The ***** Team

1 - 18 of 18 Posts