Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping someone can help me, looking for a solution other than "Remove and Trash". The "Cabin Drone" with this exhaust will make your ears bleed, wondering if there is any way to "Save" the investment. :frown

Probably easiest to just post the email I sent to aFe: (no reply yet, don't expect much as when I talked to tech support their basic attitude was Oh Well)

I’ve installed the 304SS Cat-Back Exhaust on my 2012 Accord Coupe V6, the “Cabin Drone” is so incredibly loud and annoying you can’t hear yourself think… I’m finding it hard to believe the product was intentionally designed for this result. I’ve had my installer try adding various additional resonators before the Y-pipe to the mufflers and have managed to reduce the drone somewhat but no where near tolerable.

I’ve had many different Catbacks on both Honda’s and Acura’s for years and have never experienced anything like this… Any suggestions?

Thanks-
I would much appreciate and input and recommendations. Thanks all...

·
Registered
455 Posts
think louder.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
409 Posts
Dampen/deaden the inside of your trunk spare tire well as well as the floor pan inside the cabin. The trunk acts as a giant resonator, so changing the natural frequency of the trunk should theoretically help in getting rid of some drone. I've done this to my STI with great results.

·
8th Gen 6-6 Red Coupe
282 Posts
I have a magnaflow catback for now, and it drones at specific RPM's. This is just how a v6 is with the type of exhaust we have, which is part of the reason it's so restrictive in the first place, boasting two resonators in a row, branching off into two very large, dense, and heavy mufflers.

As far as fixing it goes. If you already have had the exhaust shop try different resonators, then it's a muffler issue not keeping down the drone, and they are what needs to be replaced. Unfortunately I understand this defeats the purpose of having the catback, but as far as I know I don't see any other way. I don't know many of us that have the takeda exhaust that would know, but maybe someone will post.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dampen/deaden the inside of your trunk spare tire well as well as the floor pan inside the cabin. The trunk acts as a giant resonator, so changing the natural frequency of the trunk should theoretically help in getting rid of some drone. I've done this to my STI with great results.
Thanks I might give that a try.

I have a magnaflow catback for now, and it drones at specific RPM's. This is just how a v6 is with the type of exhaust we have, which is part of the reason it's so restrictive in the first place, boasting two resonators in a row, branching off into two very large, dense, and heavy mufflers.

As far as fixing it goes. If you already have had the exhaust shop try different resonators, then it's a muffler issue not keeping down the drone, and they are what needs to be replaced. Unfortunately I understand this defeats the purpose of having the catback, but as far as I know I don't see any other way. I don't know many of us that have the takeda exhaust that would know, but maybe someone will post.
I think you're probably right, may just have to trash it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I gave this a try and covered every square inch of the trunk with dynomat, it didn't make a bit difference so this POS is going in the trash.

I ordered:
ATLP Quad-Tip Cat-Back Exhaust (ES0008)
ATLP V2 J-Pipe (ES0009V2A)
ATLP Hi-Flow Cat (ES0009HF)
ATLP Magnaflow Resonator (Magnaflow 10436)

Think this will fix the problem. Will have it in 10-14 days and we'll know...
Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fixed! Installed the ATLP Quad-Tip Cat-Back Exhaust (ES0008) today. All the "Ear Bleeding Drone" @ 1800-2400 rpm is gone... Very happy with it now. :wink

·
Blow The Carbon Out
190 Posts
Good to hear. And the quad tips look awesome as well, while maintaining a decent sound level at cruising speed and a throaty growl during acceleration

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good to hear. And the quad tips look awesome as well, while maintaining a decent sound level at cruising speed and a throaty growl during acceleration
Hey kevtheo, how do like your 91 Octane Ktuner Flash? What did it do for you? Thanks-

·
Blow The Carbon Out
190 Posts
To be honest I don't notice a huge difference currently other than some mid range pick up and quicker, tighter shifts. I plan on doing what everyone else does and get a true tune rather than a base tune, because that is where you really notice the difference. Gas mileage has also picked up a 1 or 2 as well on the highway in my opinion.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts