Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you may know I've been waiting to get the Accord Hybrid. I'm not wanting to have sex with it and / or make my username out of the model number, but....

I've gotten quotes from several dealers. One price is enough to make me move on the EX-L. That's the model I've wanted all along. I could pay more for the Touring but I'm not sure I actually want or like it's features for $3,000 more. Until now.

The dealer can get the color I want in the Touring but not the EX-L. I may have to wait several months to get the one I want. But, I've been in the market for a new car on and off since last summer. I waited for the Hybrid to come out and now have to wait some more. Not sure how long I can wait.

Here's what the Touring has over the EX-L:

Hybrid Touring
Adding to or replacing features on the Hybrid EX-L

1. Honda Satellite-Linked Navigation System™ with Voice Recognition, FM Traffic and Interface Dial[13]
  2. Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC)[14]
  3. Illuminated Steering Wheel-Mounted Cruise, Audio, Phone, i-MID and Navigation Controls
  4. Hard Disk Drive (HDD) including 16-GB Audio Memory[15]
  5. LED Headlights with Auto-On/Off and Blue-Tinted Chrome Bezels
  6. Multi-Angle Rearview Camera with Dynamic Guidelines

The LED headlights might be something I like. Not sure ACC is a draw. I've heard the Navi isn't that hot, and have an iPhone and iPad.

I think the controls in the center look cleaner and simpler on the EX-L vs the extra knob and buttons below the climate controls. But maybe I'm not familiar enough with their day to day operation, maybe the Touring's are better.

Anyway, see if you can talk me into it!

·
Don't hate on my color!!
1,842 Posts
It sucks they don't put the multi-angle camera in the EX-L Hybrid like they do the gas version. If you want NAV, you're going to have to get a Touring. I hear the ACC and LED headlamps are nice as well.

They charge $2k for navi on the gas models, so $3k for the entire Touring package isn't a bad price IMO.

·
Banned
5,775 Posts
  1. Honda Satellite-Linked Navigation System™ with Voice Recognition, FM Traffic and Interface Dial[13]
  2. Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC)[14]
  3. Illuminated Steering Wheel-Mounted Cruise, Audio, Phone, i-MID and Navigation Controls
  4. Hard Disk Drive (HDD) including 16-GB Audio Memory[15]
  5. LED Headlights with Auto-On/Off and Blue-Tinted Chrome Bezels
  6. Multi-Angle Rearview Camera with Dynamic Guidelines
I'm sure your priorities are different, but just my opinion...

1.) NAV - you have an iPhone/iPad. no need
2.) ACC - cool, but really necessary? nah
3.) It's illuminated even on the EX-L, just without the NAV buttons
4.) HDD - not necessary. You can hook up a flash drive, iPod, etc with more capacity.
5.) LED - cool, I upgraded my Sport to the Touring LED headlights.
6.) CAM - my 1 angle standard rear view camera works great as is.

So out of all those differences, only 1 stands out to me, which you can upgrade later if you are into that type of thing. If not, no biggie, there are other good lighting solutions.

Save yourself $3000.

·
Registered
514 Posts
The dealer can get the color I want in the Touring but not the EX-L. I may have to wait several months to get the one I want.
umm, what? This needs a little more explanation…

The dealers can order whatever they want, supposedly. The ones willing to put in factory orders should be able to get any combo in 2-3 months, I thought. Depends on if they are willing to. Sounds more like they want to sell you the more expensive vehicle. :D

Did they ask for a deposit?

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I want Obsidian Blue EX-L. There are none to be found. I've confirmed this with multie dealers. Nobody in my region can find one in the region. One dealer looked far out and found just one that was 1,000 miles away. Cars.com has 8 blue Hybrids listed. [strike]All EX-L but one and it's 1,600 miles away.[/strike] Was supposed to read: 7 out of 8 Obsidian Blue hybrids were Touring models. Only one was an EX-L and it's 1,600 miles away

So, they can sell me a blue Touring for sure, on its way to dealer now. Or for $3,000 less I can have red, black, hematite or white in EX-L. I'm really stuck on Obsidian Blue.

·
Banned
5,775 Posts
Hold out for the color you want. It'll be worth it in the end if you can wait.

Assuming you are not in a rush and that you will be keeping the car for a while.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've never experienced the difference between LED headlights and standard ones. Can you describe it to me? Also, what does it cost to do that upgrade, ballpark?

·
Banned
5,775 Posts
I've never experienced the difference between LED headlights and standard ones. Can you describe it to me? Also, what does it cost to do that upgrade, ballpark?
The light output compared to the factory halogen lights is much improved. Visibility is definitely increased. The light is a much whiter color as well with a tiny hint of blue which makes for a more premium look/feel.

Aesthetically, the housing and design itself with the square projectors dramatically changes the front end of the Accord. It definitely separates your Accord from the rest of the crowd having those quad projector beam headlights. This was my primary reason for upgrading, not so much the light output.

Simply upgrading the factory halogen lights to a plug and play HID kit will significantly improve the light output of the halogen headlights almost to the point of the LED Touring headlights.

Then of course there is the INSTANT ON action of the LED headlights which is nice, especially the way I have mine wired for RAPID flashing.

Right now, the cost of upgrading is $1000+ for the headlights and $100+ for the harness. I made my own harness which cost significantly less.

You can see the headlights here
http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=129081

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
I'm sure your priorities are different, but just my opinion...

1.) NAV - you have an iPhone/iPad. no need Voice activation has bad reviews
2.) ACC - cool, but really necessary? nah FCW still works you just have to get on the brake yourself
3.) It's illuminated even on the EX-L, just without the NAV buttons
4.) HDD - not necessary. You can hook up a flash drive, iPod, etc with more capacity. I am using my old iPod Touch, at least 4 years old and works great
6.) CAM - my 1 angle standard rear view camera works great as is. The standard rearview camera is called Multi View. What's the difference?
I agree with everything above except the LED lights. They may be cool but they are expensive. The regular normal headlights work just fine. I would go with the EX L and pocket the difference to buy a few years of gasoline. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Save yourself $3000.
I would go with the EX L and pocket the difference to buy a few years of gasoline. :thumbsup:
I wish it were that simple (for me). As I mentioned I've been waiting a long time already. If I go forward with this I could have it within a week. If I go for the EX-L I'd have to wait til at least February or even March to get an Obsidian Blue one, or I could settle for a different color now.

The car is in transit to the other dealer. If I order it in time they'd simply transfer it to my dealer. Hopefully I'd be the one to sit in it first without the plastic covers and no yahoos would be test driving my new baby.

My current 2001 EX-L needs some brake work now. Will need new tires by the end of winter. It has some oil leaks developing. Hearing some suspension squeaks here and there.

Once I get some sleep I'll probably come to my senses. I can wait til March. Maybe I can find an EX-L in blue now if I look a little harder. Maybe I'll determine I like one of the other colors being offered.

:scratch:

edit to add: I've never seen this color combination in person on the hybrid. I've seen plenty of Obsidian Blue Accords with gray interior. I've seen the Sport in blue / black. I've been in a few black leather interior 9th gens. I've seen lots of pictures of this combo. Maybe that's why I found one. I've left a cars.com listing up that has lots of pics of the blue Touring model. Magnetic attraction :D

·
2014 V6 EXL Sedan
2,056 Posts
I wish it were that simple (for me). As I mentioned I've been waiting a long time already. If I go forward with this I could have it within a week. If I go for the EX-L I'd have to wait til at least February or even March to get an Obsidian Blue one, or I could settle for a different color now.

The car is in transit to the other dealer. If I order it in time they'd simply transfer it to my dealer. Hopefully I'd be the one to sit in it first without the plastic covers and no yahoos would be test driving my new baby.

My current 2001 EX-L needs some brake work now. Will need new tires by the end of winter. It has some oil leaks developing. Hearing some suspension squeaks here and there.

Once I get some sleep I'll probably come to my senses. I can wait til March. Maybe I can find an EX-L in blue now if I look a little harder. Maybe I'll determine I like one of the other colors being offered.

:scratch:

edit to add: I've never seen this color combination in person on the hybrid. I've seen plenty of Obsidian Blue Accords with gray interior. I've seen the Sport in blue / black. I've been in a few black leather interior 9th gens. I've seen lots of pictures of this combo. Maybe that's why I found one. I've left a cars.com listing up that has lots of pics of the blue Touring model. Magnetic attraction :D
What are you talking about. You've already made your decision. You obviously want the car now and don't want to wait, and want blue, so it's just a short bit more until you drop this charade and just spend the extra money :D

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What are you talking about. You've already made your decision. You obviously want the car now and don't want to wait, and want blue, so it's just a short bit more until you drop this charade and just spend the extra money :D
FINALLY! Someone is actually responding to the title of my thread. Thank you. :D:D:D

·
Banned
72 Posts
You just knew the man with name of your future car *and* one willing to have sex with it if it had privates would respond...

I vote for EX-L unless you car is going to break down yesterday which it isn't cause it is a Honduh..It seems you cannot justify the extra 3 grand strongly enough and I can't say I blame you.. ACC is nice if you take long jaunts or you do a lot of freeway driving and so you tend to use cruise a lot. Keep in mind that because this is a hybrid, FE and how you drive will be more important then flogging it and driving like you stole it kinda thing which is par course for V6 owners like me. That ACC might come in handy so you don't have to keep applying the brakes and gas like you have to do with normal Cruise Control. If these long drives or frequent long highway excursions do not apply, skip the ACC(the biggest feature of Touring next to LED head lights) and go for the EX-L. The LED headlights will help your car stand out and see better so if that is a priority, it will tilt the favor back to the Touring. Thems are the variables math magician.

·
Registered
608 Posts
ACC is a really great feature. It's technologically advanced and not an easy, if not impossible, thing to add on later. You just have to experience how well it works even in day to day commutes for 15+ miles on the freeway I say it's worth looking into.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think Honda's website is publishing inaccurate information about one feature: HomeLink.

http://automobiles.honda.com/accord-hybrid/price.aspx

You'll see that for the EX-L it is supposed to include "HomeLink® Remote System". But I've been in the Hybrid EX-L and didn't see it. Noticing in pictures tonight that it's not there on the Hybrid EX-L I drove and another I see online.

Hybrid EX-L:

Hybrid Touring:

·
Rhymes with **** & Quick
1,314 Posts
You know, a lot of people buy their desired car from a dealer hundreds (or even thousands) of miles away and have it shipped on a truck (or they fly in and drive it back home). The shipping cost is not that much, I believe. Certainly a fraction of $3,000.

If you really want the LEDs, Nav and ACC, $3,000 is a decent price to pay for the upgrade, in my opinion. On the other hand, if you don't care for one or more of those features, you might want to save some money. Remember, however, when you sell the car eventually, you would recover a fair percentage of the difference in price.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Any idea how much shipping a car costs? I've occasionally gotten online quotes and they work out to about $1 / mile. Maybe a little less per mile for longer distances.

Seems like not the best way to break in a new engine by driving it 1,000 continuous highway miles when it's brand new - but I'm not at all familiar with new car break-in procedures.

·
2014 V6 EXL Sedan
2,056 Posts
Look I think you are over-thinking this. It all comes down to how impatient you are. If you are concerned about money at all, then just wait till next spring when more inventory is available. If you can't sleep and all you can think about is getting this hybrid, and every day without its slightly-better-mileage-goodness is like an eternity, then just pay the price and get it today and make yourself happy! Everyone goes through this in some way when they buy any new car. Do I keep my old 7 year car now, with its warts and issues even though it is already paid for, or do I rationalize getting a brand new car NOW versus next month or next year?

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Any idea how much shipping a car costs? I've occasionally gotten online quotes and they work out to about $1 / mile. Maybe a little less per mile for longer distances.

Seems like not the best way to break in a new engine by driving it 1,000 continuous highway miles when it's brand new - but I'm not at all familiar with new car break-in procedures.[

Fly to the nearest city and the dealership will pick you up at the airport and drive the car home. I drive my cars for many years and I buy what I want. Ten years for now you won't remember how much you paid for the car only the enjoyment it has given you.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts