Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I've decided it's time to buy a real polisher. I currently own a cheap Walmart buffer. I've been researching/shopping and the griot's can be had for $100 from advance with online coupon. Does everything I need, and that's a great price. Obviously, there's another $100 worth of pads to buy on top of that, plus product.

Here's the problem... I tend to be an all or nothing guy. I want the best. Spending the money for a flex probably isn't the greatest idea but it won't cripple me. I have a recent case of severe penis envy seeing pics of wet sanded cars. I don't just want, but am determined to have my car look like that. If a Flex will help me do that, it's worth it. I'm hoping to not have to put sand paper to my car, though.

My accord is my first ever new car, so I baby it. I want it looking pristine and it has become a full blown obsession.

Thoughts?

·
Retired from Car Biz....
9,539 Posts
If I was only going to own only one orbital it would be a griiots, not a flex. The flex is for heavy correction of paint. And you don't have that on the Honda , and the griots is lighter , more effective and a great polisher with a great warranty. I have two and the first one still works fine it was just really dirty and so I gave it to a friend. I also own a flex rotary

·
Old Bird...sometimes wise
13,851 Posts
The Flex is a marvelous piece of machinery no doubt about it....... but considering the soft and easily correctable paint on a Honda buying the Flex is like taking a Howitzer to a fistfight. The Griot's machine will exceed your expectations for this particular use, just cough up for the 25' power cord and a backing plate for 5.25"-5.5" pads. Learn how to use it properly and you'll never think about wet sanding again.

·
Fear The Turtle!
2,166 Posts
I have a Griots and love it. I use it with a special pad for cleaning showers and all sorts of things, so I get more use out of it than just the car. I got the longer cord version so I don't have to get an extension cord every time I want to use it.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Agree with all of the above. Get a Griots. If you ever got into detailing other cars, then maybe a Flex would be a good thing to have. I do other peoples cars though, and I have never needed more than the Griots, the right pads, and the right compound/polish.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok. All good responses. I think I've come to my senses. Think I'll end up buying the Meguiars m105/205 bundle on AG. pretty good price for what you get.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I would recommend M101 over M105. Much more user friendly. Also, Megs Ult Compound and Ult Polish are 2 good products to start with when you are learning to use the polisher.

Also, if you get the griots, get a 5 inch backing plate and go with the 5.5" pads. I prefer the lake country flat pads. If you buy a kit from autogeek or autopia, you can call them and have them switch out the 6.5" pads for 5.5" pads.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What's difficult about the 105?

Also, microfiber cutting pads seem to get high marks. Anyone have experience with them?

Well it's no fault of you guys, but I just ordered a flex.

Can't explain it, but just decided that's what I wanted. Ordered the Wolfgang bundle, LC pads, some mf cutting pads, Clay and iron x. My 30th bday is next week so I guess this is my celebration.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Note to self, don't respond when somebody asks....rtexas is right, the flex is so much overkill....will be interesting when you "celebrate" right thru the clear with an mf cutting pad and a flex....
Why so butthurt?

I dont know who pissed in your cereal but it wasnt me.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have a Griots, and for the weekend warrior it's great. I've used the 6.5" and the 5.5" pads on the Griots and they both will work (in fact I've done more polishing with the 6.5" than the 5.5").

I've used M105 with the Griots and it didn't seem that hard to use. My first experience using it was rather hilarious as I put way too much polish on the pad the first time and it splattered everywhere. Let me tell you, you do not want to be cleaning up a million little dried up specks of M105 off of everything, so start with too little and add as you go.

If you do get M105, be sure to use M205 (or some other mild polish) afterwords to really polish out the finish. You've probably already been reading all about this, but be sure to use a less coarse pad with the M205.

Heck you might even be able to skip the M105 and use M205 if the swirls are light enough. As they say, always do a test panel with the least abrasive pad and polish combo possible. If the swirls are still there, then switch to a more aggressive pad, and keep the polish the same. If that doesn't do it, switch to the more aggressive pad/polish combo.

Check out the autogeek.net forums to learn more than you ever wanted to know about polishing, LOL! And hold on to your wallet - it's easy to get pulled into world of detailing - there's always some new fancy, hi-tech wax, sealant, or other doohickey that will sound cool to order. But the next thing you know you've got 8 polishes, 10 waxes, 4 sealants, multiple buckets, and enough microfiber towels to open a bed and breakfast.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh its definitely a dangerous rabbit hole. Im alright about not ordering tons of different products. I bought pads i probably wont need but thats ok. Ill do my family's cars when i go home later in the summer so ill get a chance to give this thing a good work out. Gf just bought a new car, so ill give it a light polish and get it sealed up. Should be fun.

The bundle came with wolfgangs compound, polish and sealant so my bases are all covered.

My plan is to get mine polished to a high mirror shine and do a couple coats of cquartz.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Note to self, don't respond when somebody asks....rtexas is right, the flex is so much overkill....will be interesting when you "celebrate" right thru the clear with an mf cutting pad and a flex....
Spot on Glen. Given I have been able to correct a TRASHED black Accord with just a GG6, Orange CCS (6.5" mind you), and Ult Compound, there is just no need to use Flexes, MF pads, or a heavy compound like M105 on these soft paints.

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Used a PC DA till it died. Replaced it with a $55 HF variable DA orbital. As I only use it once, maybe twice a month, I'd rather spend the money on other vices.

Be careful with the Flex. Honda paint soft.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts