Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

2010 auto V6 Coupe or 2015 Accord Sport Six Speed?

• Keep the V6 at 95k miles and drive it into the ground

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Buy the 2015 Sport w/ 6 speed manual

Votes: 4 50.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never been so conflicted in my life! I just found an effing unicorn of a Honda Certified 2015 Accord Sport w/ the super-rare 6 speed in damn near flawless condition for an amazing price.

I know I'm giving up 80+ horsepower BUUUUUUT I couldn't find a manual when I was looking for the 2010 and am waiting to see if Honda North America comes out with something to compete with the TRD Camry (LIKE ANOTHER LEGENDARY V6!).

I'm not going to ask "how do I get this thing to 225-250 horsepower" because I'll get flamed AND know how to use google. SO...

FELLOW ACCORD NERDS, THROW IN YOUR TWO CENTS! HALP!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Here is my 2.5 cents....

The V6 is fantastic, granted the last one I drove (not my own) was an 02 auto.

The Planet Nightmare I4 in the 9th gen is arguably (and in my personal opinion) one of the best engines Honda has ever made. I don't think you'll miss the v6. Maint and running costs will be lower, no timing belt etc. They are bulletproof, not that other Honda engines aren't.

The 6 speed is also just about the perfect transmission. Better than any CVT for sure and it really helps with the sensation of speed if nothing else.

If it were me, I'd probably pull the trigger if the price is right. But I'm just me. I have zero complaints about my car so this is just my honest feedback.

PS, the 6MT Sport isn't incredibly rare so there will be others that come along if you have any doubts.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I was in the same boat. I just could NOT imagine myself driving a 4 cylinder. Wife has had about every generation of CRV's and I just can't stand 4 cylinders. Notice my signature block. I waited...and waited...and waited....for a last year production, 2017, Honda Accord coupe, V6, in good shape. My dealer actually found this for me. I'd say, unless you need a 4 door, patience. Look around for a 2017 coupe. Here in about 3 weeks, they will drop in value a little because of age. If you got a good dealer, talk to them and let them know what you want, they will find one, just don't be in a hurry. Anyway, that's my .02
Oh, forgot to add....that model has the paddle shifters. I know it's not a manual, but once you get the art of paddle shifting down, like I trying to learn, it's a LOT of fun. I don't miss the stick at all.

·
new engine, new lease on life
16,934 Posts
Asking owners in the 9th gen forum to convince you not to buy one of the best Accords ever made is silly at best, foolish at worst.

That said, cant argue 34mpg highway, with no timing belt and low maintenance costs.

Only flaws that I see with the sport:
  • low-profile tires could make you more likely to blow out a tire when hitting potholes
  • 9th gen bluetooth is virtually useless. Bugs abound in the software/firmware.
Bottom line: :worthless:

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is my 2.5 cents....

The V6 is fantastic, granted the last one I drove (not my own) was an 02 auto.

The Planet Nightmare I4 in the 9th gen is arguably (and in my personal opinion) one of the best engines Honda has ever made. I don't think you'll miss the v6. Maint and running costs will be lower, no timing belt etc. They are bulletproof, not that other Honda engines aren't.

The 6 speed is also just about the perfect transmission. Better than any CVT for sure and it really helps with the sensation of speed if nothing else.

If it were me, I'd probably pull the trigger if the price is right. But I'm just me. I have zero complaints about my car so this is just my honest feedback.

PS, the 6MT Sport isn't incredibly rare so there will be others that come along if you have any doubts.
Thanks man! I was under the impression they were rare because out of all the 9th gen Accord sport models on AutoTrader, there were just a few 9th gen 6MT's listed nationwide (which obviously doesn't include private sellers, etc).

50k miles, Honda Certified, $14k. Carfax is clean as a whistle and the service records are immaculate.

I'm due for a timing belt in my V6 coupe, brakes sooner than later & probably both axles by summer. My warranty ends at 100k and I just hit 95k so this 2015 seems like the move until we hopefully get another V6 or something to compete with the TRD Camry, which I'm told holds the record for the most fake vents in automotive history.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've got a 2015 Accord Sport with a 6MT.
It's neat, the 6 speed lets you squeeze everything you can out of the motor and I agree with glanzera21, I think the earth dreams 2.4 is a great motor. Coming from your v6, this will have less getupandgo, but it's a nice transmission and I feel pretty engaged when I'm driving. The car is heavy and you'll feel it in turns and acceleration, but if you already knew that then yeah the car is a pretty fun sedan to drive. It feels like a nice comfy modern car, the interior is simple and easy to keep clean and the gas mileage is pretty ok.
But I also agree with glanzera21 in saying that the 6MT Sport is not a super rare combo, they do come along every once in while.

·
Registered
268 Posts
. My warranty ends at 100k and I just hit 95k so this 2015 seems like the move until we hopefully get another V6 or something to compete with the TRD Camry, which I'm told holds the record for the most fake vents in automotive history.
There are rumblings that Honda is nixing the manual for 10.5, I don't personally believe it but I honestly wouldn't be surprised.

I'll say this last thing and then I'll shut up. When I first read the review for the '13 Sport way back in in 2012, Car and Driver said something along the lines of "no one on staff wished it was a V6."

And if you've ever read anything they write, you'll know those fools complain about how slow a V6 is when reviewing a minivan or any car that was never intended to be quick.

The K24W is not gonna singe your eyebrows but it's honestly more than enough engine than anyone really needs.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Even though it is under 200hp, the car is not terribly heavy. There are many cars with worse power to weight ratio on the road. That and the dry coupling will make it a quick car around town.

I like the fact that it is a naturally aspirated engine. I really don't care for turbo as my commute is under 10 minutes. Just use top-tier fuel and you're golden. The only issue sticking to this engine like dog doodoo on wet grass is the infamous VTC actuator grind.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I'll guess I'll say something else.

I'm not all that technical but based on the dyno tests of the i4's, they may actually have closer to like 205hp.

I think VTC issues are more rare on these. Some people run them low on oil and start to have issues so actually having oil in your engine and good gas are preventative measures. I know Stiller has well over 300k and I don't think he's had issues so it seems possible to avoid.

·
16,934 Posts
I'll guess I'll say something else.

I'm not all that technical but based on the dyno tests of the i4's, they may actually have closer to like 205hp.

I think VTC issues are more rare on these. Some people run them low on oil and start to have issues so actually having oil in your engine and good gas are preventative measures. I know Stiller has well over 300k and I don't think he's had issues so it seems possible to avoid.
I have that VTC rattle on cold startup, FWIW. No resolution, still driving her like I always do...

·
16,934 Posts
Dang. If I could find my hat, I'd eat it.
It hasn't been that bad since the day I almost blew her up the second time.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks man! I was under the impression they were rare because out of all the 9th gen Accord sport models on AutoTrader, there were just a few 9th gen 6MT's listed nationwide (which obviously doesn't include private sellers, etc).

50k miles, Honda Certified, $14k. Carfax is clean as a whistle and the service records are immaculate.

I'm due for a timing belt in my V6 coupe, brakes sooner than later & probably both axles by summer. My warranty ends at 100k and I just hit 95k so this 2015 seems like the move until we hopefully get another V6 or something to compete with the TRD Camry, which I'm told holds the record for the most fake vents in automotive history.
Saw TRD Avalon at dealer last weekend, very tastefully done they had me until I saw that front grill. Waiting to see TRD Camry in person, like pic of that a lot.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was in the same boat. I just could NOT imagine myself driving a 4 cylinder. Wife has had about every generation of CRV's and I just can't stand 4 cylinders. Notice my signature block. I waited...and waited...and waited....for a last year production, 2017, Honda Accord coupe, V6, in good shape. My dealer actually found this for me. I'd say, unless you need a 4 door, patience. Look around for a 2017 coupe. Here in about 3 weeks, they will drop in value a little because of age. If you got a good dealer, talk to them and let them know what you want, they will find one, just don't be in a hurry. Anyway, that's my .02
Oh, forgot to add....that model has the paddle shifters. I know it's not a manual, but once you get the art of paddle shifting down, like I trying to learn, it's a LOT of fun. I don't miss the stick at all.
I actually wanted a sedan. I looked for a 2017 6/6 coupe and the only one I found was asking $31k. BWAHAHAHA!

In reality I'm only going to keep this car for a couple years and it's cheap so why not... the last thing I want to do is dump $2k into repairs and maintenance for this 2010 V6 once the warranty ends (as much as it'll probably outlive me anyway)...

·
Registered
283 Posts
I hear you...some of the '17's I found were still pretty pricy...that's why I said be patient. I got mine at the dealership in August last year, it was a trade in from a guy that had found out his wife was pregnant. Had 25K on it, factory warranty, primo shape and conditions, minus the small chips on the hood that Dr. Colorchips took care of, for 21K. Didn't hurt that I have purchased 4 brand new Honda's from that dealer over the years. On the timing belt issue, look around. There are a bunch of places that can do that belt and all the other internal replacement parts WAY cheaper than the dealership. Fact, all of my V6's have been done by a local mechanic and I've never had any issues. Curious, what to you mean by "both axles"? 100K miles, your just getting that V6 broken in!!! You also got to figure your insurance is going to go up with a newer car.

·
Honda Enthusiast
1,931 Posts
I have no issues with mine save for the transmission. The transmission feels like it’s made of plastic; flimsy. I’ve never owned a Honda with such a feeling. It is what it is, I’ll keep it and drive it for a while longer but I have no confidence that it would make it to 100K+ mi without work.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I have no issues with mine save for the transmission. The transmission feels like it’s made of plastic; flimsy. I’ve never owned a Honda with such a feeling. It is what it is, I’ll keep it and drive it for a while longer but I have no confidence that it would make it to 100K+ mi without work.
That's really unfortunate, I can't say I've had the same experience.

I will say that the one annoyance I do have is with 3rd gear. Every so often it takes just an extra half a millisecond to pop in but by the time my brain realizes it, my foot is coming up and I get a grind. What's odd is that my old 06 5MT did the exact same thing so I have to assume it's just a characteristic of Honda's transmissions. Or there is something wrong with me, which I'm certainly not ruling out.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts