Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Talked to a dealer today about getting a trans service today on my '07 V6 AT. He quoted me $160 for a flush. I asked him if that was a machine flush or a drain/refill/repeat flush. He told me that was for a machine flush - they don't do the drain/refill/repeat service, and that they have never had a problem with the machine flush. I asked him it they would do it the other way because I wanted my car serviced the way Honda says to in the manual. He kind of got snotty with me when I asked him that, and begrudgingly quoted me $240.

Not that I'm going back to these A-holes, but what SHOULD the drain/refill/repeat X3 service run?

I'm right at 40,000 miles, and the fluid is showing some darkening, but is not really nasty. I drive about 40,000 miles/year (I've put 20,000 miles on the car since I bought it 5 months ago), and want to stay ahead of any potential problems.

Everyone seems all over the board about what to do RE. the AT service in the threads I've searched/read - is there REALLY any definitive word out there on this subject?

BTW, I also asked the dealer guy about changing the trans filter, which he told me doesn't exist. I see guys talking about them, so unless they're talking about aftermarket external filters, he was BS'ing me again. How about that one, guys?

·
aka 'The Gif King'
803 Posts
Even for just a flush, $160 though? Are they going to have one of their female employees give you a happy ending?

Just do it yourself bro... trust, you'll save a GRIP, just do it once and you'll realize how freakin' easy it is to do it. Man I still never understood how people can charge hundreds just to do something that takes 10 minutes.

I remember one of my boys bought some Coilovers, went to the shop and paid almost 400 BUCKS to install them. Then I showed him how to do it, he was angry that he just threw away 400 bucks.

·
Registered
708 Posts
just wait for it to fail.. i had mine flushed, serviced, drained, refilled.. I BABIED MY TRANSMISSION AND LOOK WHERE IT GOT ME!

My 2nd burn.

·
Registered
388 Posts
You can get 2 cases/dozen of 1quart atf with that price. There is an external trans filter but Honda says you dont have to do anything with it so dealers just says that it doesn't exist. I changed mine for a peace of mind. I dont have the diagram but it's a special order part that ran me $28.
Here's a pic but its from a 4cyl.

Check this thread too.
http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=14699

·
Texas Ground Pounder
1,357 Posts
According to my owners manual, Honda recommends doing the 1st fluid replacement at 120K and then every 90K after. However, we all know this is just asking for trouble. Therefore, the intervals you choose to run with are up to you. Yes, your going to get mixed opinions on this one. Their is no proven data on the best intervals here so you'll just have to make your own best judgment. Personally, I do a D&R every 20K (I only do one D&R, not 3 like everyone suggest) and replace the filter every 40K. Just recently did a D&R at 120K. Original trans, Amsoil ATF, and I have a lead foot so I don't exactly baby her.

Yes, as the previous 2 post mention, their is a filter. Yes, Honda does not list this as a serviceable item and most technicians know nothing about it. Like namegoeshere pointed out with his link though, it is an internal filter on the V6 and that link shows you the part numbers for everything you need to get. Personally, theirs no way I would pay $160 for a D&R. It's as easy as doing an oil change. Now changing the filter is a bit more tricky, but doable. As for what dealers would charge for doing the 3x D&R, I can't say since I do my own work. I just know that I do it for around $20 (fluid only, no filter) and that's using high dollar Amsoil.

·
Registered
388 Posts

·
Carpe Diem
3,159 Posts
I do a single drain and refill every 15k and I change my tranny filter every 25k. It has worked out well for me so far. Still shifts smooth as butter and I'm fairly hard on it.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
My local dealer charged me $80 to do a transmission fluid drain and refill. I also brought 4~5 quarts of Honda atf in on my own since though so add perhaps another $30 or so. All in all not too bad.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
My local dealer charged me $80 to do a transmission fluid drain and refill. I also brought 4~5 quarts of Honda atf in on my own since though so add perhaps another $30 or so. All in all not too bad.
$80 to do 1 drain and fill, and you brought your own ATF? You got robbed man. It is literally removing 1 bolt, catching the fluid in a bucket, replace bolt, pour fluid in hole. takes less than 10 minutes

:(

·
Variable Cylinder Mgmt
253 Posts

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
$80 to do 1 drain and fill, and you brought your own ATF? You got robbed man. It is literally removing 1 bolt, catching the fluid in a bucket, replace bolt, pour fluid in hole. takes less than 10 minutes

:(
Well I know it wasn't cheap at all that's for sure. But it was an acceptable price to me since I didn't really know any other reputable shops around me (the one I used to visit often is closed) and I just didn't trust myself enough to do it on my own without screwing up anything (yet).

Now, I wouldn't mind if there is any DA user near me who'd like to help out on my fluid change next time. I'll even take ya to Starbucks after it's done! :D

·
aka 'The Gif King'
803 Posts
BINGO! Nailed it right on the head.

Well I know it wasn't cheap at all that's for sure. But it was an acceptable price to me since I didn't really know any other reputable shops around me (the one I used to visit often is closed) and I just didn't trust myself enough to do it on my own without screwing up anything (yet).

Now, I wouldn't mind if there is any DA user near me who'd like to help out on my fluid change next time. I'll even take ya to Starbucks after it's done! :D
It's fairly easy bro... i'm sure you can do it youself. Jack up the car, look underneath the driver's side, you'll see a bolt (randomly, you can't miss it) that's the bolt for transmission fluid. BAM unbolt that, catch the fluid and refill it up top where the dip-stick is at.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
BINGO! Nailed it right on the head.

It's fairly easy bro... i'm sure you can do it youself. Jack up the car, look underneath the driver's side, you'll see a bolt (randomly, you can't miss it) that's the bolt for transmission fluid. BAM unbolt that, catch the fluid and refill it up top where the dip-stick is at.
Thanks. Well, I guess what I need are some good jack stands so I can jack up the car and confidently work underneath the car (such as when I need to change the trans fluid). The thing is, I don't have any good tools for this at the moment and the good ones seem to cost quite a bit anyway.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts