Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 1419 Posts

·
Banned
5,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone look underneath their cars yet?

The 4-cylinder models have itty bitty sway bars.

I noticed on the Honda website that the V6 models have thicker sway bars front and rear.

That would be an upgrade I presume or we can wait for aftermarket.

·
'13 Accord Sport
239 Posts
The thicker sway bars are added on the V6 model because of its heavier engine and transmission. I guarantee you there is probably no noticeable difference between the driving setup of the i4 vs v6. If' you're going to upgrade them, wait for aftermarket ones. They're almost always better.

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
Tiny battery and oil filter too. Tha Accord handles better than competition (flatter cornering IMO) and any increased thickness will likely be unnoticed as stated.

Changing to more aggressive summer tires will make a much larger difference than a couple mm of sway bar thickness. No need to wait for the aftermarket there.

·
Banned
5,775 Posts
DONE! No more teeny tiny 14mm rear sway bar. Hello 20mm rear sway bar.

No more understeer, but slight oversteer if pushed.

The car (Sport sedan) corners much flatter and is much more willing to rotate through corners.

Could really use a front sway bar to corner even flatter and reduce the oversteer, but could cause understeer to come back depending on bar thickness.

Right now the rear bar is thicker than the front bar which doesn't seem right.

Best part? Less than $80.00 shipped and took me only an hour to swap it out.

The factory bushings were not greased therefore I did not grease the new bar/bushings. I did not hear any noises during my test drive.

You can definitely feel the significant differences right away and it puts a smile on your face as soon as you take your first sweeper hard.

The bad effect though is that you now feel how loose the chassis is. Some chassis stiffening under braces are much needed.

Rear on v6 is the same ... Front is only 2mm thicker. Wait for aftermarket!
Rear on V6 is not the same. It is 1mm thicker.

Tha Accord handles better than competition (flatter cornering IMO) and any increased thickness will likely be unnoticed as stated.
Really? Ever test a 2013 Nissan Altima? Stock for stock the Altima handles better and corners flatter. Ever test a 2012 Mazda6? It also handles better and corners flatter. I imagine the 2014 Mazda6 coming out will be even better.

Have you even seen the factory sway bar? 14mm is very thin. Increasing the thickness will significantly increase the torsional stiffness of something so small to begin with. In my case over 300% increase in stiffness and very noticeable.

Changing to more aggressive summer tires will make a much larger difference than a couple mm of sway bar thickness. No need to wait for the aftermarket there.
Sure, changing tires from factory all-season to summer tires will make a larger difference. That's a well known fact, but we are on the topic of flat cornering and understeer/oversteer, not the amount of grip/traction the car has on the road.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Where did u get it? If it online, could u link it!!, I want to replace mine, too.

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
Nice mod. I might appreciate the thicker roll bar if I felt there was a deficiency-may be a case of "you don't know what your missing"

I drove the '13 Altima SL and it felt fine in all but a 65 MPH off ramp under braking where I did a series quick right left moves of the steering wheel and the rear end felt very skittish. Not as much a twitchiness but the suspension was upset and seemed as if the rebound and compression were out of sync with the direction the car was attempting to go. The Accord was rock solid on the same ramp under the same circumstances.

Corners flatter is what it is supposed to do. Any impact on impact harshness or road noise. My 750 had hydraulic roll bars that were decoupled when going straight (giving a smooth ride with effectively no roll bar) and increased stiffness depending on lateral G.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Beware of unintended consequences. I installed a stiffer roll bar on my 1G TSX. It made a nice impact on the handling. But about 4 years later i start to hear a clunking sound coming from the rear and the handling is bad. The new bar put too much stress on the attach fitting and it eventually cracked through. I found a suspension guy to weld in a patch, it was not a major repair, but the stock attach points might not be up for the added stress. You might want to check for cracks after a year or so.

·
Registered
11 Posts
fantastic idea

Swapping out the factory sway bars for larger diameters ones was one of the best mods I did for my 97' Accord back in the day....can you provide us with info in regards to where you purchased yours? Its for a V6 model? I'd rather pay $80 for a Honda product than $200 for something from Eibach...

·
Registered
31 Posts
....I drove the '13 Altima SL and it felt fine in all but a 65 MPH off ramp under braking where I did a series quick right left moves of the steering wheel and the rear end felt very skittish. Not as much a twitchiness but the suspension was upset and seemed as if the rebound and compression were out of sync with the direction the car was attempting to go. The Accord was rock solid on the same ramp under the same circumstances......
Anyone look under the car and check out the rear suspension design? It appears to me that Honda may have designed it with the ability to add all wheel drive. Is this design shared with any other Honda products? There seems to be room under the rear strut for a half-shaft. Just wondering. I noticed that when I was looking around for the rear jack point. Put the snow tires on the car Friday.

·
Banned
5,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Anyone look under the car and check out the rear suspension design? It appears to me that Honda may have designed it with the ability to add all wheel drive. Is this design shared with any other Honda products? There seems to be room under the rear strut for a half-shaft. Just wondering. I noticed that when I was looking around for the rear jack point. Put the snow tires on the car Friday.
You hit the jackpot. Acura TL SH-AWD. Now you all know where the sway bar came from. ;)

The rear end is also shared with the TSX and 8th gen Accord.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I took my sport 6mt on my favorite back road test drive. It has several high speed (60+mph) sweepers and several 45 degree turns.

There is a significant pucker factor on high speed sweepers as the rear end wants to move around too much. A rsb can often cure this and I'm looking forward to tying this part.

1. Part numbers and where did you order from?

2. You mentioned oversteer so I'm wondering if you reached the chassis limits to the point the TCS system kicked in.

This car is quiet and feels very stable at 80+mph. You have to drop down from 5th to 2nd or 3rd to keep it in the power band to pull hard out of a corner.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Is it the ...

52300-TK5-A02 SPRING, RR. STABILIZER
[TL | 2011 | 4DR TECH (AWD) | KA 6MT

Can you re use the factory end links?

And On2, if you could explain what you are experiencing for chassis "looseness". I we talking creaking, shifting? Just looking to know if ill regret the upgrade based on it making the car feel or sound cheaper.

·
Banned
5,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Is it the ...

52300-TK5-A02 SPRING, RR. STABILIZER
[TL | 2011 | 4DR TECH (AWD) | KA 6MT

Can you re use the factory end links?

And On2, if you could explain what you are experiencing for chassis "looseness". I we talking creaking, shifting? Just looking to know if ill regret the upgrade based on it making the car feel or sound cheaper.
Yes that is it. Yes use the factory end links. They seem beefy enough IMHO.

The sound of your car will not change from upgrading the sway bar. There are only positives to this upgrade. Looseness as in the chassis is not stiff like many European cars or some sports cars.

If you feel like you need adjustable spherical end links, the ones from Progress Suspension will fit.

If you feel like you need a bigger rear sway bar, the 22mm and 24mm rear sway bar from Progress Suspension will fit, however will induce oversteer even more so without a front bar upgrade.

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,057 Posts
Gqneo, you can google what a sway bar does but basically it makes the wheels stop behaving independently of each other. Having a 22mm bar on mine does make the back end feel more planted when doing 75 mph sweeping interstate exits (where it doesn't feel like the backend is about to jump when I hit a bump or sway side to side), but the downside is that speed bumps and turning onto my driveway I feel a pretty significant jolt.

1 - 20 of 1419 Posts