Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
21 - 40 of 1422 Posts

· Registered
54 Posts
Yes that is it. Yes use the factory end links. They seem beefy enough IMHO.

The sound of your car will not change from upgrading the sway bar. There are only positives to this upgrade. Looseness as in the chassis is not stiff like many European cars or some sports cars.

If you feel like you need adjustable spherical end links, the ones from Progress Suspension will fit.

If you feel like you need a bigger rear sway bar, the 22mm and 24mm rear sway bar from Progress Suspension will fit, however will induce oversteer even more so without a front bar upgrade.
Thank you!

What i was getting at was, the looseness you describe, what gives that impression if not a sound?

· Registered
54 Posts
Gqneo, you can google what a sway bar does but basically it makes the wheels stop behaving independently of each other. Having a 22mm bar on mine does make the back end feel more planted when doing 75 mph sweeping interstate exits (where it doesn't feel like the backend is about to jump when I hit a bump or sway side to side), but the downside is that speed bumps and turning onto my driveway I feel a pretty significant jolt.
I know what sway bars do, i know it tightens up the handling, thats why i was asking about the "looseness" On2 is mentioning. I have had aftermarket sway bars (eibach, whiteline, progress) on every vehicle ive owned. And the only negative was on one of them, my mazdaspeed3, ere was a horrible squeak from the bushings in cold temps, lubed or not.

· Registered
3,125 Posts
I would be very careful of putting a 20+mm in the 2013 Accords . While they are using a similar rear suspension , the front is struts now with 10mm smaller front bar than 8th gen . that is huge change . I guessing they have firmer struts compared to the older setup due to being struts now . spring rates it probably higher with this setup .

Make sure for ones using this you test it out "good" to make sure oversteering will not be problem in wet/dry, when throttle lift on turns etc .
Oversteering is worse than under when it goes to far . Good thing the VSA will try and kick it but you don't want that happening if at all possible .

Looking at specs I would think the 17mm tsx would be good match with front .

· Registered
50 Posts
I know what sway bars do, i know it tightens up the handling, thats why i was asking about the "looseness" On2 is mentioning. I have had aftermarket sway bars (eibach, whiteline, progress) on every vehicle ive owned. And the only negative was on one of them, my mazdaspeed3, ere was a horrible squeak from the bushings in cold temps, lubed or not.
The squeaking is from the urethane bushings that aftermarket bars use. Factory bars use rubber bushings.

· Banned
6,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I would be very careful of putting a 20+mm in the 2013 Accords . While they are using a similar rear suspension , the front is struts now with 10mm smaller front bar than 8th gen . that is huge change . I guessing they have firmer struts compared to the older setup due to being struts now . spring rates it probably higher with this setup .

Make sure for ones using this you test it out "good" to make sure oversteering will not be problem in wet/dry, when throttle lift on turns etc .
Oversteering is worse than under when it goes to far . Good thing the VSA will try and kick it but you don't want that happening if at all possible .

Looking at specs I would think the 17mm tsx would be good match with front .
I had the same concerns before doing this modification, but for the price I had to try it knowing that I could always reverse the modification or go with a thinner bar.

Also, I did extensive research on the 8th generation forum where this modification is popular as well as other Accord forums. Other owners do not have any oversteer, or snap oversteer problems even when going with the even thicker 24mm Progress rear sway bar. I understand that they have a thicker bar up front from the factory to equalize with the rear, but continued based on knowledge about other vehicles with similar suspension setups and aftermarket rear sway bars.

While your concerns are valid, I do not believe this to be an issue as I have over 3,000 miles on this modification and do not feel any adverse effects thus far.

I have pushed the car hard through corners and have tried to purposefully make the car snap oversteer by throwing the weight around on and off the throttle hard. I put the car in situations that I normally would not do. I could only get the VSA to come on a few times. The car pushes through corners and just rotates much better. You can feel the oversteer coming on slowly as you push harder.

Many 8th gen owners went with the 17mm bar initially and felt some difference, but many wished they had gone with the 20mm bar in the end once people started finding out that it fit. And now Progress Technology has a 22mm and 24mm rear sway bar available. The only concern so far is that the rear sway bar mounts are not very beefy from the factory and some owners with the larger bars have broken said mounts. Also, the end links may start to fail when used with the larger bars. Aftermarket solid spherical end links are available from Progress Technology.

I'm currently searching for a front bar that will fit to balance out the car even better. A common upgrade for 8th gen owners was the TL AWD front bar, but our front suspension being different now requires different solutions.

· Banned
6,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
altima vs. accord?
i smell a shootout.
thats exactly what is in my driveway. my wife has a '13 altima. and i hate how it handles.

nice work with the swaybar mod though!
I test drove the 2013 Altima SV recently as my brother was interested and since it was in the same ballpark ($$$) as my Accord Sport.

I am usually biased towards Nissan products having owned many in the past however I was left very disappointed or maybe I am just spoiled by my new Accord.

The Altima seats feel cheap and econo regardless of the NASA marketing mumbo jumbo they want to exclaim. The reverse camera monitor is small and not in the optimal position and looks cheap (which reminds me of the EX and up i-MID touchscreen display). The exterior styling looks strange and not cohesive. The rear taillights droop down and looks "sad". The only nice thing I liked was the triple layered glovebox and double layered center console and the nicely lit gauges. The Altima drives nice and has good feel and feedback however the CVT feels rubber bandy unlike the Accord's more traditional transmission feel. Also, no vanity mirror lights, no paddle shifters, no 18" wheels. Dollar for dollar the Accords wins by a huge margin in my book. But at least the Altima is loads better than that vanilla Camry.

· Banned
6,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·

· Banned
6,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
The factory sway bar specifications are as follows for the 2013 Accord sedan

4 cylinder - 17mm front, 14mm rear
6 cylinder - 19mm front, 15mm rear

The factory sway bar specifications are as follows for the 2013 Accord coupe

4 cylinder - 18mm front, 16mm rear
6 cylinder - 19mm front, 16mm rear

21 - 40 of 1422 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.