· Registered
1,745 Posts
The factory sway bar specifications are as follows for the 2013 Accord sedan

4 cylinder - 17mm front, 14mm rear
6 cylinder - 19mm front, 15mm rear

The factory sway bar specifications are as follows for the 2013 Accord coupe

4 cylinder - 18mm front, 16mm rear
6 cylinder - 19mm front, 16mm rear
I about shat when I looked back at my 2003 EXV6 sedan specs...front is 25.4 and rear is 13. I thought it was a typo after reading what was on the 2013 v6. Really surprised Honda is going that small up front now especially with the end of the double wishbone. Maybe the larger rear bar on 2013 offsets that some?

· Banned
6,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I about shat when I looked back at my 2003 EXV6 sedan specs...front is 25.4 and rear is 13. I thought it was a typo after reading what was on the 2013 v6. Really surprised Honda is going that small up front now especially with the end of the double wishbone. Maybe the larger rear bar on 2013 offsets that some?
It might but there is no replacement for having nice big bars that or at least what I believe are "normal sized" sway bars.

Regardless of suspension design/layout, both front and rear are twigs. I was really surprised by how small they were the first time I looked underneath the car. I'm so accustomed to seeing larger bars, bars that I thought were "normal sized", on many cars.

I haven't seen Honda's with such tiny bars since the early 90's.

· Banned
6,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Would it be better to run the non AWD version? Since it would be more equivalent to our vehicle?
It all boils down to how you feel when you drive the car and whether you plan on upgrading the front bar if and when it is possible.

Some people may want a smaller bar since they don't want to mess with the front bar (changing the front bar can be a lot of work, 8th gen owners have to drop their subframe) and they feel like the numbers should less offset.

I don't care about the numbers. Typically the front needs to be larger, but I'm working with what parts we have available currently. And besides that I know it feels good regardless of the numbers.

But like I've said in my previous posts, the 20mm rear bar feels great to me and the oversteer that may concern some people is only minimal. The oversteer comes on gradually and you can get a feel for it and adjust your driving.

I've tried to get it into snap oversteer situations and had to try really hard to make it do that. I can only imagine this being a concern if it was wet out and having to do some crazy avoidance maneuver.

I plan on going with a bigger rear sway bar (with solid end links) regardless if I change the front bar or not. If there are no front solutions then I will at least upgrade to the V6 front sway bar.

· 2013 Sedan Sport
403 Posts
yeah i agree with you on the altima. i dont like how it drives compared to the accord. and for nasa seats, the headrests sure push my head forward a LOT. im not lunching into orbit, im just driving around and trying not to tap my head every 10 seconds.

anyway, yeah i would do this swaybar mod if i wasnt going for coilovers. i had a set on my 3rd 240sx that was a base model (no rear sway at all) and couldnt tell the difference. car had almost zero body roll. it was on my "to do" list though, just for completeness.

· Registered
2,621 Posts
Well....I think the stock suspension setup works quite nicely otb. When my meds wear off and my brain goes all boy racer I just borrow wife's '09 Civic Si coupe for the day or until I calm down, whichever comes last.

· Banned
6,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Well....I think the stock suspension is lacking...coming from a 350Z.

Not to take anything from the Accord; it does handle well compared to its contemporaries, however if you've driven any high performance sports car, then you know that the Accord is not very capable nor precise OTB as it is not meant to be.

Which is the whole point of this thread and modding in general.

· I can't drive 55!
348 Posts
I still remember how awesome my '91 Civic sedan handled once I upgraded the suspension. Eibach springs, Tokico 5-way adjustable shocks and Suspension Techniques swaybars and strut bar. That thing was absolutely flat in the corners. Tons of fun. The Accord Sport's suspension can definitely use some upgrading.

· Registered
1,745 Posts
Does upgrading the sway bar cause any problems with the factory end links? Just wondering if that makes them more likely to break? Maybe a stiffer bar actually puts less pressure on the links though?

· Registered
52 Posts
The rear end could definitely use a bigger RSB, especially considering how heavy the 2013 is.

My 93 accord had a 14mm RSB from the factory, I upgraded to an Acura Vigor 16mm RSB but that wasn't enough once I was lowered on coilovers, I wanted that added stiffness, so I found a Progress 22mm RSB and that cured all the "looseness" I was feeling in corners. Its not too stiff to the point where the car is unpredictable, the rear just feels more planted, especially combined with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires I've got on there. The car hooks up for sure.

I had to drill into my rear crossmember for mounting which I think helps a ton. Just connects it to the car that much more, vs. a bracket that'll flex a bit more. On the ends I've got the supplied poly bushings which I lubed and so far I've got no issues and its been on there for over 3 yrs.

But the front on mine stock is 27mm. So only being 19mm for the 2013s is kinda disappointing. Maybe it has something to do with the struts in front vs. shocks and A arms?

· Banned
6,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Does upgrading the sway bar cause any problems with the factory end links? Just wondering if that makes them more likely to break? Maybe a stiffer bar actually puts less pressure on the links though?
It could if the factory end links were small but fortunately we have amply sized end links. If you want to upgrade to solid spherical ones then Progress does make a set for our cars.

· 6MT JUNKIE
759 Posts
Installed the new sway bar in the back it is a night and day in the corners, but it just made me realize how the chasis needs some stiffening up. I might wait for a FSB to come out or maybe use the V6 (i have a 2013 accord sport) I havent quite decided but overall this was cheap overall with bushings was 80 bucks. you can't beat that lol. Thank on2

· Registered
5,434 Posts
Installed the new sway bar in the back it is a night and day in the corners, but it just made me realize how the chasis needs some stiffening up. I might wait for a FSB to come out or maybe use the V6 (i have a 2013 accord sport) I havent quite decided but overall this was cheap overall with bushings was 80 bucks. you can't beat that lol. Thank on2
Where did you get your bar and bushings?

· 2013 Honda Accord Touring
210 Posts
Where did you get your bar and bushings?
i was able to track down the 20mm Acura rear sway bar, I believe on2 said factory bushings can be used for this
$63,78
http://www.acurapartswarehouse.com/oem/acura~spring~rr~stabilizer~52300-TK5-A02.html

and then here's the 22mm Progress sway bar
$174.25
http://www.progressauto.com/product...ar/2013/make/Honda/model/Accord/productID/615

also the Progress spherical end link kit
$148.75
http://www.progressauto.com/products/productID/628

· 2013 Honda Accord Touring
210 Posts
It could if the factory end links were small but fortunately we have amply sized end links. If you want to upgrade to solid spherical ones then Progress does make a set for our cars.
just went ahead and ordered the RSB from AcuraPartsWarehouse with shipping it was about $80-$85, very excited for it to come in and get it mounted. Thanks for the help, definitely going to be following for a future post on the front sway bar's

LINK TO RSB: http://www.acurapartswarehouse.com/oem/acura~spring~rr~stabilizer~52300-TK5-A02.html

· Banned
6,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Running on my fun tank of gas, I tore up some curvy roads on the way this morning and gosh darn it feels good. Push it hard and it keeps on going and gripping. God I love this mod. Glad it's working out for the rest of you all.

· 6MT JUNKIE
759 Posts
Yep the links are perfect or just lookup a new TL SH 6MT rear sway bar and factory TL bushings $4-$5 online and i wiggled the rear sway bar out but as on2 said it would be easier just to take the rear drivers side wheel off lol. BIG improvement in handling!! I had a blast on the way home from work on some S turns.

41 - 60 of 1422 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.