Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had S-Tech's installed a almost 3 weeks ago. Everything is great so far except for a quick clunking noise I hear from the right rear strut/shock area. It seems to only happen when I hit speed bumps or driveways at certain angles because it does not happen every time and is hard to replicate. It can't be the actual spring making contact as the S-Tech's have the rubber spacer between the compressed coils.

Any suggestions for quick fixes I could do at home before taking a trip to the shop who did the install?

·
Low Gear
2,934 Posts
The rubber wrap does not cover the entire spring. There also could be a chance that it moved a little during the installation and therefore, cause the noise.

I would wipe down the springs real good. Wrap up all the exposed metal part of the spring. So how that goes. If the noise stop, then that's it.

After a while, see where the heavy "contact" spots are, where the tape is wearing out. Remove tape. Clean it supergood. And maybe re-wrap the spring to better focus in that area. If you are able to find some sort of rubber spring wrap cover or something from home depot, go for it too.

·
Registered
205 Posts

·
EarthDreams
788 Posts
I do not have TEIN but the clunking on mine was caused by the adjustment jam nuts not being tightened good enough from the factory. Use the tools provided in the kit and give those all a good tightening. I would do all four. If that doesn't work, try all the stuff this guy has tried. Seems to be a lot of problems with these TEINs.

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/162-wheels-suspension-brakes/320426-tein-street-advance-rattling-over-bumps.html
What this guy said ^. Holy crap, 2 WHOLE PEOPLE with completely dissimilar products having somewhat similar issues?

Gotta be TEIN at fault.

·
CITIUS::INFERIUS::FORTIUS
1,471 Posts
these guyz..

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update:

Took it back to the shop that did the install. He re-tightened all bolts on the strut/spring assembly and did a fairly quick check of the trouble corner and was unable to determine the cause and blammed it on the springs. He said that complaints of noise are common when he installs lowering springs.

The fact that I can not replicate the noise on a regular basis and there are no visible scratches appearing on the coils makes me think otherwise. End of the day I'm not too concerned and will get a second opinion when I get my tires replaced in a couple hundred more miles.

Might also order the TL/TSX? rubber slips the H&R users found to help them out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts