Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recently, my Tein Street Advance started making a rattling/loose noise going over uneven road surfaces. You can feel something in the floor of the car like something is loose. I have inspected everything and everything seems tight/OK. Trying to figure out where the issue is coming from? Could it be the large top nut not being tight enough?

·
CITIUS::INFERIUS::FORTIUS
1,471 Posts
Can you tell it's coming from the front or rear?

My front top driver's side nut was loose and here's the recommendation I gave in the other thread:
http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/3995018-post21.htmlhttp://www.driveaccord.net/forums/3995018-post21.html

It became loose enough that I could spin it with my fingers. I tightened, the rattle went away, but gradually came back. That's when I used the Loctite Threadlocker Blue. After that, it's been rattle-free.

Some others had noise coming from the rear that they solved.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is coming from the Driver's front for sure. I checked it when it first started rattling and it wasn't loose but I can check it again.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Interesting to read, I was under the impression TEIN were flawless straight out of their factory in Japan. The best coilover by far for our car. Talk to dkm16, I believe he has them on his car and stands by their product.

·
EarthDreams
788 Posts
Interesting to read, I was under the impression TEIN were flawless straight out of their factory in Japan. The best coilover by far for our car. Talk to dkm16, I believe he has them on his car and stands by their product.
Ha-ha! This guy, again. Are you aware that these Accords come straight from the factory with this 'loose top nut' issue? Before we go pointing fingers at TEIN, we have to assess the situation first.

As @sLAKERZ mentioned, I'd check that top nut first. Did you torque every nut to spec after the install, or did someone install for you?

I'd also check to make sure the spring is seated properly in the upper mount. Grab your instructions that came with the manual and read through that part. My manual is 1,200 miles away so I can't reference it for you. I do know, however, that the springs have to be turned and seated properly before tightening. If it's not seated properly, the spring will slide around and handling would feel sloppy.

Personally, I'd Jack the car up, remove the wheel, and just check everything that was messed with during install.

Definitely sounds like a loose top nut, though (to me at least).

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've had the coil overs on the car for about 15k miles without issue. Rattling/noise/loose feeling started a couple weeks ago. So everything was going OK. Something loosened up or rattled loose. I too think the top nut sounds logical but I have checked and rechecked it and its still tight. I put a mark on it and a dab of blue loctite on the threads so I'll check it again in a week. Today, I haven't heard or felt anything so who knows. Seems if you jack the car up and wiggle things/check everything the noise will go away for awhile and then come back.

Here is what I checked:
top nut
endlinks on both sides
strut mounting bolt
lower control arm bolts
spray lubed the top hat area
cleaned and spray lubed the spring perches and verified they are tight

Not much else to check at this point. I did notice the threaded sleeve wiggles just a hair back and forth when you grab the spring and turn it. This very easily could produce noise/feeling in the floor over bumps and uneven road. Just looks like the sleeve doesn't fit as tight as it should to the strut body. The passenger side is tight, no movement.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Have you tried tightening the jam nuts for your spring perch using the tools that come from TEIN? Those have a way of working themselves loose over time.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My last item of things I checked, above

·
Registered
983 Posts
I noted in my install write up those threaded perches turn just a hair. I made sure all was clean, and used some black tape around it to stop that issue.

I did have a slight noise but it was from my strut not turned enough in the knuckle. The end link bolt was not sitting square. It was not off a lot but I could see pretty faint marks where I think it was hitting.

So after all this time I have no clue.

Did you hit something and mess up a end link or sway bar?

You sure it is the strut?

Let us know.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Those are fugly.

I am going on a limb and say they are from accidents, and did not just bend, or fall apart from normal wear and tear.

Ugly stuff there.

·
EarthDreams
788 Posts
Those are fugly.

I am going on a limb and say they are from accidents, and did not just bend, or fall apart from normal wear and tear.

Ugly stuff there.
The only one I don't have a background story on is the Megan. The rest definitely broke under normal operation. The stories are documented on the Evo, Subie, and Mazda forums.

No coilover is perfect, especially when purchased at the 'budget' level, but for one to completely shear off when you hit a pothole at 35 mph, or when you hit rumble strips at 65 mph... Yeah, you can count me out.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Top left: TEINs bend too, those are documented on plenty of forums.
Top right: WTF? Clearly an accident.
Middle left: Clearly sawed in half with that clean break. Just like when people saw in half K&N filters to check the filter element.
Middle right: Looks like an accident for sure.
Bottom left: You have a BC bottom section that it looks like someone was trying to attach to a Raceland coilover spring. Either way, probably some backyard mechanics ish.
Bottom right: Raceland coilover sawed in half, probably to check the internals.

Either way what would the point of that be? You have literally millions of those coilovers on the roads at any moment and all you could gather is 6 BS pics. Yea, don't buy stay away!

·
about tree fiddy
52 Posts
I've ran BC coilovers on all my previous vehicles with zero issues. Can't wait to purchase a set for my accord!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Its like I said earlier, I think its from the threaded height adjustment sleeve fitting just a hair loose on the strut. You can move it back and forth little. I'm sure hitting bumps and stuff can cause it to move a hair and you can hear/feel that.

I haven't hit anything too hard that I can think of other than typical train tracks, potholes, etc

I did have a slight noise but it was from my strut not turned enough in the knuckle. The end link bolt was not sitting square. It was not off a lot but I could see pretty faint marks where I think it was hitting.

So after all this time I have no clue.

Did you hit something and mess up a end link or sway bar?

You sure it is the strut?

Let us know.
This is interesting. I'm going to take a look at how that tab is positioned in relation to the car. Right now (from memory) I believe it is at a slight angle

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Loosened the coilover in the knuckle and turned it slightly more in plane with the car. No change. Drive over tracks or rough road and it starts rattling/moving around again. It's not making a lot of noise more than its loose somewhere. Ever heard a car driving down the road with 300k miles on it and the suspension is rattling etc going over bumps? That's what it feels like/sounds like. Nothing like having a 12 month old Accord that sounds like a 300k mile 91 LeSabre

·
EarthDreams
788 Posts
Top left: TEINs bend too, those are documented on plenty of forums.

Top right: WTF? Clearly an accident.

Middle left: Clearly sawed in half with that clean break. Just like when people saw in half K&N filters to check the filter element.

Middle right: Looks like an accident for sure.

Bottom left: You have a BC bottom section that it looks like someone was trying to attach to a Raceland coilover spring. Either way, probably some backyard mechanics ish.

Bottom right: Raceland coilover sawed in half, probably to check the internals.

Either way what would the point of that be? You have literally millions of those coilovers on the roads at any moment and all you could gather is 6 BS pics. Yea, don't buy stay away!
He took the bait!

I don't see anything related to Raceland anywhere in those pictures. I thought Raceland used red springs.

I don't think they're necessarily sawed in half either. That one isn't a clean break. If you look closely you can tell the break spans across a few threads. The other one is still partially attached. Only about 75% of it sheared off, it's just bent 10-20°.

I only uploaded 6 pics because that's the maximum number you're allowed to upload, and the only reason I uploaded any pictures was to bait you (which worked), since we stay beefin'.

Trust me, I've seen plenty of broken/bent TEINs. A lot of it depends on how aggressively/stupidly you drive.

Loosened the coilover in the knuckle and turned it slightly more in plane with the car. No change. Drive over tracks or rough road and it starts rattling/moving around again. It's not making a lot of noise more than its loose somewhere. Ever heard a car driving down the road with 300k miles on it and the suspension is rattling etc going over bumps? That's what it feels like/sounds like. Nothing like having a 12 month old Accord that sounds like a 300k mile 91 LeSabre
Take a video or audio recording of it if you can. My sleeves had a millimeter or two of give as well, and I haven't encountered any unwanted noise/rattling yet.

Did you check the top mount and make sure the spring is sitting in there correctly? Maybe your next step should be to take the coil over out and examine it. I can't imagine what else it could be. The damper doesn't appear to be damaged right? If you're still clueless email TEIN, or call them. They'll get back to you with an answer shortly.

It definitely sounds like an upper mount-related issue... Very strange.

If you jack the car up and grab the strut and try to wiggle it around does it re-create that rattling sound?

·
Registered
983 Posts
As far as destroyed coilovers. The one looked like it was used for plowing a field.

One thing in common they all looked turned up to the lowest setting of drop. Collars all the way up is the drop, all the way down in stock height.

Not sure on the rattle. I did tape around the bottom collar. I also turned my springs to where they were tight in the strut before I lowered each wheel. If you jack up one side and grab the shock it will spin but gets tight in one spot. That is where I left all four of mine when I put the car back down. I did use blue locktite on the center strut bolts.

Also on the end link tab to strut connection. I thought I had mine strait but like I said I could see very faint gray rub marks in the inside right wheel well in the front. It did not break the undercoating but you could see very faint marks

Did you cut the bump stops? How did you do trimming out the OE rubber on the front springs. That was a bit tricky but with a sharp utility knife and going slow it worked real well on my install.

I feel your disappointment but think it has to be something stupid. Many of us run them with no issues.

I just do not get why this is hit or miss in some cases of any coilover install. I hear all brands sometimes fuss over noise, even just spring installs.

I would have done just springs if there was aftermarket struts and shocks for our cars. I just know in my heart the stock stuff is not going to like springs or hold up.

But based on those pics, they might hold up as well or better than some of those :)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It definitely sounds like an upper mount-related issue... Very strange.

If you jack the car up and grab the strut and try to wiggle it around does it re-create that rattling sound?
I took a vid on my phone of the wiggling I can do with the threaded sleeve. The odd thing is, that is a metal on metal sound and the sound my car makes over rough road is a rattling/loose feeling sound. The only way I can describe is imagine if you loosened something like a ball joint nut or a control arm bolt/nut and then drove around. You would feel something moving around in the car in the steering wheel etc. Its like that. Doesn't make a ton of noise per se, its more something you can feel while driving. I have 15k miles on the coil overs and they have been perfect the whole time. No noise, nothing. Then this just starts one day and I can't find anything that looks out of place. Any tightening, lubing, wiggling etc I do hasn't fixed it. I lower the car, drive it around and once it encounters railroad tracks or rough roads, it rattles around a bit, will do it for a little while and then goes away until the next time you encounter similar road conditions. Our roads are shit here in WI. But I drive a lot of freeway for my commute and the coil overs are dead quiet in that situation. Get off the highway and drive through an older area of town with the roads have been patched a bunch or over railroad tracks and the front end rattles/feels loose.

Just like my earlier comparison to the 91 LeSabre its exactly like that. Car handles and drives just fine, no noticeable difference in handling. Just embarrassing to take a client to lunch and the car is rattling over tracks like a 5 year old Kia

1 - 20 of 33 Posts