Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Background info: I recently installed LEDGLOW footwell lighting (slightly different from GTFan712's mod) in my '09 Accord Sedan. It looks great and I'm glad I did it. I've used an Add-a-Circuit to power the lights from the fusebox under the steering wheel. I know that some fuses are only active with the key in the ignition and others are active at all times. Initially I had the LEDGLOW system plugged into fuse 23 which is for the front 12V accessory power outlet. My concern was that I would be in a hurry one day and forget to turn my lights off and drain the car battery. I now have the system using fuse slot 2 seeing as it was empty and is only active when the car is on. I like this because when I turn off my car, the lights go off automatically.

My goal: I don't know if this is possible but because I know I am a forgetful person, I want my LEDGLOW lights to automatically turn off when I shut my car off. AND I want to be able to turn my LEDGLOW lights on and off manually without the keys in the ignition. So basically i need a way to attach the lights to the fuse where the fuse always has a live connection to the battery except for a split second period when i take the key out of the ignition. This split second of power cut off would be enough to turn the control unit off but keeping the fuse live would allow me to turn on my footwell lighting even with the keys out of the ignition.

·
Honda Nation
2,184 Posts
Lets look at this step by step:

1. You want them to turn off when you shut the car off - which means you'd have to run power to a circuit that is hot only when the ACC is on.

2. You want to be able to turn them on and off when the car is off - which means you'd need to run power to a constant hot circuit.

You can't have it both ways. The only time your car has a "split second" of power is actually when you are starting it and your turn the key from lock, through battery, then ACC, then START.... when you hit ACC all the power comes on for a split second, then when you twist to START it kills all the power to everything but the starter, fuel pump, and essentials to start the engine for a brief moment until the engine starts and you release the key from the START position.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I understand that my request sounds ridiculous and that one can't have it both ways. I was basically wondering if there was some sort of splitter device that I could have 2 fuses attached to and then attach the lights to the other end of. The splitter would have to take the fuse that is only hot on ACC as the priority and then when it loses power from that connection it would switch to taking power from the fuse that's hot at all times. The device would be something of a gateway that would need a 1-2 second delay between the switching of power. This delay would allow for the LEDGLOW unit to shut off and then once off would resend power to the unit allowing me to turn it back on once the key is out of the ignition.

I understand that I must sound like I'm in some kind of fantasy world thinking up this kind of a relay. I was just wondering if anyone knows of something that could accomplish this task.

·
Honda Nation
2,184 Posts
Well, what you are describing does exist. It's called a shunt. You'd have to find someone with serious 12 volt electrical knowledge to make one for you. It would run off both a constant and ACC line. I'm thinking in order to switch to constant after the ACC is removed you may have to have switched grounding as some of the accessories on the Accord are (the moonroof, for example, has one 12 volt constant power running to it all the time, and then the grounds are switched on and off at the moonroof switch when you start or shut the car off)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow. I had no idea something like that existed (I thought it was just a pipe-dream). Does anybody have any idea as to how I could go about creating a shunt that would accomplish this task? Does anybody know of anybody here on the forum I could contact with an extensive knowledge in 12V electricity?

·
Registered
256 Posts
I think you could get it to work if you used a relay, something like this should work...Lights should turn on when ignition is on then turn off with ignition, then you have the ability to still control them using the switch because the relay is off and touching 87a to 30.

Relay:
85 wire thats hot when ignition is on
86 ground
87 fused 12volt
30 positive wire from led....
87a wire going to rocker switch

rocker switch with three prongs
1.12volt
2.wire from 87a relay
3.ground

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
jagboy, I'm not entirely clear on the plans you have drawn out. Are you saying that I could have a switch that is normally in one position that would allow me to have the lights go on and off with the ignition. Then when I flip the switch, I can control the lights even with the car off? That sounds pretty perfect! Additionally, is the relay a separate switching device (like a box or circuit board) or are you just referring to what wires I'd attach to the switch? What do the numbers refer to? Could I use this switch http://www.urban-neon-car-lights.com/car-lights/led-jet-fighter-switch.html ? Because that is so cool.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
The numbers refer to the posts on the relay. They will be labeled the same as he numbered them.

·
Registered
256 Posts
A basic relay looks like this at the bottom are the numbers labeled 85, 86, 87, 87a.... just connect the wires to the relay posts.
That switch SHOULD work....
And yes with this setup the lights would turn on with the ignition and when you turn the car off the lights turn off. when the car is off you have the ability to control the leds with the switch.

BTW you NEED a 5 posts relay shown below...(most of them are only 4 posts)

Let me know how it goes :thmsup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts