Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My serpentine belt has made it to 96k miles, so it's time to replace it.

Assuming the tensioner pulley indicator doesn't say "replace," would you replace it anyway?

·
Registered
305 Posts
I didnt have to..I changed my serpentine belt around 120K miles..

What i did was visually check to see if any pulleys were bent or misaligned. I then wriggled them with my fingers to feel for any looseness or play. I didnt hear any squeaking or see anything out of the ordinary so i assume they are good for now.

Make sure to use a long breaker bar or the correct tool for this job.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I only replaced the pulley (not tensioner) after it got noisy when damp out. I have never had to replace the tensioner at 230k.

·
Registered
488 Posts
At 200 000 km my serpentine is still factory. The arrow and indicator bar have relaxed by about 1 mm. These might be, in practical terms, a forever belt.

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,650 Posts
My serpentine belt has made it to 96k miles, so it's time to replace it.

Assuming the tensioner pulley indicator doesn't say "replace," would you replace it anyway?
As long as your tensioner isn't jumping, or making noise, while the engine is running I wouldn't replace it, regardless what the indicator says. I replaced the belt, and put the old one in the trunk just in case.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts

·
<= Jeep differential LOL.
838 Posts
I only replaced the pulley (not tensioner) after it got noisy when damp out. I have never had to replace the tensioner at 230k.
Same here. Noisy on cold mornings. Replaced belt and pulley. Tensioner was still good.
At 200 000 km my serpentine is still factory. The arrow and indicator bar have relaxed by about 1 mm. These might be, in practical terms, a forever belt.
Just because the belt hasn't stretched, doesn't mean it isn't worn out. It could wear to the point that it snaps without stretching beforehand.
I replaced the belt, and put the old one in the trunk just in case.
Finally, another person with a brain. You really don't want to have a belt snap in the middle of nowhere and not have another one to slap on.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Jaywalker, everyone else has the right idea here. If it's making any noise, wobbles, or just feels loose replace it. Other than that, no sense in replacing a part that is functioning properly. If it does go out later, it's not a difficult part to get to if you need to.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Same here. Noisy on cold mornings. Replaced belt and pulley. Tensioner was still good.

Just because the belt hasn't stretched, doesn't mean it isn't worn out. It could wear to the point that it snaps without stretching beforehand.

Finally, another person with a brain. You really don't want to have a belt snap in the middle of nowhere and not have another one to slap on.

These belts have cords, or in simple language "ropes". I've never seen a cord/rope break without first stretching. Even steel will stretch before breaking. It's called an elastic modulus. Honda's belt stretch indicator has good foundation in engineering principles, not surprisingly.

·
838 Posts
These belts have cords, or in simple language "ropes". I've never seen a cord/rope break without first stretching. Even steel will stretch before breaking. It's called an elastic modulus. Honda's belts stretch indicator has good foundation in engineering principles, not surprisingly.
What interval do you monitor your tensioner for belt stretch?

I can honestly tell you that I haven't looked at mine since I replaced the belt and pulley 50k+ miles ago.

·
Registered
488 Posts
What interval do you monitor your tensioner for belt stretch?

I can honestly tell you that I haven't looked at mine since I replaced the belt and pulley 50k+ miles ago.
The belt stretch indicator was covered in the Owner's Manual very thoroughly, so I've been watching it since the first few days of owning the car.

I'm probably under the hood weekly for a quick glance at various fluid levels and general order of things. Most of the time I'll remember to glance at the belt stretch indicator.

If I'm on a long motoring trip, I'll look under the hood and around the car each day.

·
You're easy money.
406 Posts
How do you replace, just the pulley?

·
Banned
502 Posts
The pulley is about $20 and is removed with one bolt. Its worth replacing when you replace the belt past 100k miles. Before 100k, no point. It can wait. But give it a turn with the belt off and make sure it turns smooth and has no play/wiggle.

·
You're easy money.
406 Posts
The pulley is about $20 and is removed with one bolt. Its worth replacing when you replace the belt past 100k miles. Before 100k, no point. It can wait. But give it a turn with the belt off and make sure it turns smooth and has no play/wiggle.
Thanks, is it as simple as just using the right size socket to take off the bolt, remove the pulley, put the new one on, and tighten the bolt? Also does the belt have to be off too?

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Thanks, is it as simple as just using the right size socket to take off the bolt, remove the pulley, put the new one on, and tighten the bolt? Also does the belt have to be off too?
Yes:thmsup:

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,650 Posts
Yes, of course you have to remove the belt to remove the pulley. I've learned how to install the belt completely from the top. Start at the bottom, and work your way up. A good point to remember when routing the belt is that the smooth side of the belt goes on the smooth pulleys (tensioner and idler).

·
838 Posts
A good point to remember when routing the belt is that the smooth side of the belt goes on the smooth pulleys (tensioner and idler).
K24A4 doesn't have an idler like your v6.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts