Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Recently, I started my car and heard rattling under the hood. I went to take a look and found the sound coming from the serpentine belt area. Turns out the tensioner pulley was shaking side to side and making a good bit of noise, like a sewing machine. I also checked the arrow indicator and the arrow was to the left of the bar, which according to this thread by AznAccord08 means I have to replace the belt and pulley.

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?p=624170

You can see and hear the pulley in the included video. The car is at 113,000 miles now and I had the serpentine belt changed about 30,000 miles ago. Any idea how much this repair/replacement will set me back? Thanks!

·
You're easy money.
406 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXlEFJvDfyw

Recently, I started my car and heard rattling under the hood. I went to take a look and found the sound coming from the serpentine belt area. Turns out the tensioner pulley was shaking side to side and making a good bit of noise, like a sewing machine. I also checked the arrow indicator and the arrow was to the left of the bar, which according to this thread by AznAccord08 means I have to replace the belt and pulley.

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?p=624170

You can see and hear the pulley in the included video. The car is at 113,000 miles now and I had the serpentine belt changed about 30,000 miles ago. Any idea how much this repair/replacement will set me back? Thanks!
:( Mine makes that noise too, didn't realize it wasnt supposed to.

·
Registered
449 Posts
The pulley is like 20 bucks at advance auto parts. But what is really messed up is the bearing inside the pulley. My car was doing the same.
I did something i shouldn't have done but w.e, i bought the pulley and switched the bearings and then returned the new pulley with the old bearing in it. The fix came out free. The pulley is easy to change though just loose up the bolt take out the pulley and put the new one in. i would go ahead and change the belt as well.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:( Mine makes that noise too, didn't realize it wasnt supposed to.
Squirtle squirt :(

The pulley is like 20 bucks at advance auto parts. But what is really messed up is the bearing inside the pulley. My car was doing the same.
I did something i shouldn't have done but w.e, i bought the pulley and switched the bearings and then returned the new pulley with the old bearing in it. The fix came out free. The pulley is easy to change though just loose up the bolt take out the pulley and put the new one in. i would go ahead and change the belt as well.
Wow, I'm glad to hear it's so cheap. I don't think I'll need to do a switcheroo, in that case. :naughty:

I had a feeling it was bad bearing causing the shaking, though. Last time I had a local shop change my belt, but I think I'll save money on labor this time around and change the belt and the pulley, too.

Thanks for the input!

·
You're easy money.
406 Posts
Do you have to change the belt when you change the pulley? Because like Devious I changed my belt recently too, this was back in may, also what size wrench/socket do you need to replace the tensioner pulley? (The one on the top)

·
Super Moderator
6,557 Posts
Bad bearing. You just need an extended wrench to loosen it. You might as well change the belt since you are in the area. But if you don't see any cracks on the belt, then there is no need to change it.

·
You're easy money.
406 Posts
Bad bearing. You just need an extended wrench to loosen it. You might as well change the belt since you are in the area. But if you don't see any cracks on the belt, then there is no need to change it.
But doesn't the wrench have to be a certain size to fit? I'm excited to do this, looks like an easy fix, not expensive and ill finally be rid of that sound!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm excited to tackle this, too! I'll look at my belt later and opt not to replace it if it still looks good.

Question though:

Am I looking to buy just the pulley

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/pa..._/N-jki1dZ8gdap?itemIdentifier=634080_0_7651_

or the pulley with arm piece?

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/pa..._/N-jki1dZ8gdap?itemIdentifier=944833_0_1690_

It would seem that we only need to replace the pulley because the bearings are gone, but checking to be sure.

I also found this belt changing video on youtube that will helpful for this task.

·
Super Moderator
6,557 Posts
You need either a long 14mm zero offset wrench or a serpentine belt tool,

You will need some other sizes of wrenches also to get the tensioner pulley off. I don't know that size on top of my head.

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,650 Posts
Pretty sure it's a 14mm bolt. I used a 14mm socket on a 3/8" breakerbar, and a 12" piece of pipe over the breakerbar handle for leverage. If you aren't changing the belt, you can just leave it routed around everything else, and just slip it off the tensioner and back on after changing the pulley. I certainly wouldn't change the tensioner itself, unless it is bad.

·
4,637 Posts
I did something i shouldn't have done but w.e, i bought the pulley and switched the bearings and then returned the new pulley with the old bearing in it. The fix came out free.
Not free, you stole it. Plain and simple. You can afford all those mods on your car and you pull that stunt. Please check your mailbox, I have something for you. Now someone will install the part, have issues with it and have to deal with it a second time. All because of your actions. :thumbsdow

·
Super Moderator
7,849 Posts
Shameful, just shameful. :thumbsdow

I don't know which is worse, the fact that you did this in the first place, or that you would have no shame to then come to DA to brag about knowing full well you should not have done it.......... :dunno:

What's next for you? Print some counterfeit money to deposit in the ATM and then withdraw real money? Not much difference.

·
subtract 261000 miles to get engine mileage
14,404 Posts
yeah, pretty shady if you ask me.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Shameful, just shameful. :thumbsdow

I don't know which is worse, the fact that you did this in the first place, or that you would have no shame to then come to DA to brag about knowing full well you should not have done it.......... :dunno:

What's next for you? Print some counterfeit money to deposit in the ATM and then withdraw real money? Not much difference.

My very first thought was. He's "Pretty young". Doesnt excuse it.. just expains alot...

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Someday someone will do something like that to you..... and you wont like it..... So remember what you did now for when that happens......

·
You're easy money.
406 Posts
Not free, you stole it. Plain and simple. You can afford all those mods on your car and you pull that stunt. Please check your mailbox, I have something for you. Now someone will install the part, have issues with it and have to deal with it a second time. All because of your actions. :thumbsdow
That's actually a very good point.

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,650 Posts
I'm sure he thinks it proves how smart/clever he is, rather than how disgraceful/dishonest. The screw them, before they can screw you mentality. I used to have a "friend" who thought everyone was out to get him, so he was going to get them first. A sad way to live IMO.

·
Super Moderator
7,849 Posts
My very first thought was. He's "Pretty young". Doesnt excuse it.. just expains alot...
I guess there is no chance then for him to be a real man, go back to the store, and buy back that pulley with the bad bearing? :dunno:

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wow, this thread de-railed!

Like you guys, I don't agree morally with what he did, but do appreciate his help in the thread. If he is indeed young, this means it certainly isn't too late for him to change. I'm not going to judge too harshly, since we've all probably done wrong things in the past. What's important is recognizing it (through the help of a healthy bashing on DriveAccord =P) and striving to be a better person for the future.

·
Super Moderator
6,557 Posts
I just saw a youtube video yesterday with a fat guy in it, he went to some hardware store, bought new bearings and swapped it with the defective one in his 2002 Accord V6's idler pulley.

The problem with America is that nearly everything is returnable. When you buy anything in Asia where I'm from, it is yours. You can't return ANYTHING.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts