Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I joined the Accord ownership club approx. 3 months ago when I bought my '08 2.4L, AT, with 72,000 kms on it. I love everything about the car.......except the fuel economy I'm getting - which is horrendous.

We noticed that we were getting roughly 400kms per tank when we first bought it. This is way under the estimated fuel economy of 9.4L/100km. Of course I realize that this FE rating is under ideal conditions and in reality my FE would not be as good.....but it should not be this bad, no matter how it is driven. How is it driven, you ask? The car is driven by my wife (who is extremely cautious and obeys all speed limits), to and from her work which is roughly 10kms from home. The traffic is minimal and there are just a couple of lights. That's it. No, we don't have the AC on and the tires are new and at 32psi.

I took it to a local Honda dealership and they basically told me that everything "looked good" and if there wasn't a CEL, then there was nothing they could do - the car was "fine". Obviously, it's not fine. I'm getting the fuel economy of a jumbo jet!!!

Anyway, I had to post after this last tank of gas. I'm now down to 1/4 of a tank right now and have traveled 212kms. I'll be lucky to get to 300km now on a full tank. It's an absolute joke and I'm disgusted with this.

Side note: I had a mid 90's Pathfinder once that wasn't giving out an codes/CEL and I was getting roughly 200-250km per tank. After some research, I decided to replace the coolant temp sensor. Immediately, I started getting 450km per tank. Could this be the problem with the Accord too? Something is not right and I need help to figure it out. Please help!

Thanks guys,

·
Bob's your UNCLE ...
2,028 Posts
So - firstly, welcome to DA. It's good to see another "metric monkey" join the ranks...

A solem bit of advice, learn to use the search tool at the top of the main page, it can be your best friend, especially with this, as TONS of other members have suggested things to other users on how to get better milage.

I get @ 500kms of a 50 litre fill myself on my '07 sedan. FWIW I try to keep my tires at 36lbs, and have a mixed commute of 10~12kms stop and go, with 10~12kms highway EACH WAY.

Speaking of '07 - you're actually fishing in the wrong pond. An '08 is an 8th gen, and the members over in that forum and threads can speak more directly to your model of Accord.

*as a side note, your wife may have a lead foot ... just saying ... and with such a short commute, you definately wont be seeing 750kms off a tank. (which my co-worker with an '08 K24 coupe averages, but she has a long highway commute to work)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, what a noob I am!! Thanks for the tips and a big thanks for taking the gentle approach over the classic internet berating! This is a classy place

·
Registered
133 Posts
It's not THAT classy...just you wait. :p

But yes, props to decency.

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
Polite Canadians.....jeesh......:notworthy

Welcome to the forum, Avon. Glad you got outta Baltimore. :)

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,057 Posts
Da fuque are these liters and km's you speak of?:lmao:

Stuff like coolant temp sensors I've never heard of someone saying theirs went bad.

Get yourself a bluetooth OBDII scanner and you'll be able to watch your fuel consumption in real time. $15 + pair it with your phone and use Torque.

To maximize fuel economy you have to use cruise control as much as possible.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^Lol, metric can be baffling, can't?!!......Yes, I am aware of cruise control, and many other driving techniques that can help fuel economy and they do work for relatively minor gains. I'll give the bluetooth scanner a shot too. Any recommended brands? All I can say is that I know my own/my wife's driving style and can assure you it is move conservative than I ever thought I'd be. Sad, what I've become really. lol

I will retort with, simply, there is no driving style short of the ridiculous that could cause me to get below half of what my fuel economy rating is; especially in a 4 cylinder; when near all other variables have been addressed (brakes, tire pressure, plugs, wires, no CEL, car drives and idles fine etc). This fuel economy problem is one that many 8th gen owners are having and no one has a solution for.

My personal hypothesis is that the engine is running rich, and that one of the sensors is telling the ECU that the car is always cold. In my brief time with the car I discovered that there appears to be a air/fuel sensor just above the block with an O2 sensor below it. Do these both talk to the ECU? Does the water temp sensor talk to the ECU?

I find problems like this frustrating but very rewarding once the solution is found. We could help a lot of Accord owners if we figured this out.

Just curious......is anyone getting good/decent fuel economy when city driving?

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,057 Posts
I average around 22mpg (you'll have to do the conversion to metric ;)) which seems to be similar to what other people get with city driving. I've gotten as low as 14-18 mpg. Cruise control @ 45 mph I can get 40-50 mpg no problem. Coasting to red lights does really well for my average too since the fuel injectors shut off if you're not touching the pedal.

Only the AFR sensor right off the exhaust quasi-manifold affects the engine.

Amazon has many generic BT OBDII scanners for cheap. Give one of them a shot, since you don't really need "high performance" non-generic for what you need to do.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good info, thanks for that.

A quick calculation based on the average of my past 3 tanks of gas shows I'm getting somewhere between a sickening 13-14mpg (17-18L/100km). If I was able to get 22mpg (10.7L/100km for all my bros up North), I'd happier than a turtle in mud!

·
Wisdom Born of Age
1,750 Posts
City driving in a 4 cyl heavy (3200+ lbs) car, constantly overcoming inertia is a recipe for poor gas mileage. I get about 16 - 18 in city driving, but adding highway will increase that to around 25 mpg. Pure hwy, around 35 mpg. It's all about Newton's law of motion.

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
Good info, thanks for that.

A quick calculation based on the average of my past 3 tanks of gas shows I'm getting somewhere between a sickening 13-14mpg (17-18L/100km). If I was able to get 22mpg (10.7L/100km for all my bros up North), I'd happier than a turtle in mud!
I feel your frustration, but I must question your methodology. You just mentioned an average based on the last three tanks of 17-18L/100km. But based in your first post, it seemed like you were basing your L/km on the “general” distance traveled on a full tank of fuel, which is HIGHLY inaccurate.

Usually when people discuss their fuel mileage they state it in exact terms – “I travelled 380 miles and needed 15.2 gallons to refill my tank for 25 mpg.” Or, “I traveled 613 km and needed 58 liters to refill my tank for 9.3L/100km. You did not. This makes me wonder. Do you keep an accurate log of km travelled and liters needed to refill the tank? Without those exact numbers, you really don't know your fuel economy. It is just an estimate.

The fuel light will turn on with about 10-12 liters remaining in the tank. If you refill before the light turns on, you may need only 50 liters to refill it. 400km on 50 liters is 12.5L/100km or about 19 mpg. If you refill when the light turns you might need 60 liters. That would translate to 15L/100km or about 16 mpg. Both would be significantly better than the 17-18 L/100km you claim or 14 mpg. The truth may be that you are not getting the abysmal mileage you suspect.

Also, you mentioned your wife has a very short commute (6 miles) at lower speeds, most of it on a cold engine and on winter blend fuel. That is the perfect recipe for terrible fuel mileage. All gasoline cars will get poor fuel mileage in that horrible driving environment. My wife has a similar commute and gets 15-16 mpg (V6 Toyota RAV-4 AWD). On the highway the same car will deliver 27-28 mpg. Have you ever taken your car on a pure highway ride to calculate your highway fuel economy? That may be a better test to evaluate your engine.

·
"Old School" Shifter
380 Posts
Cold weather takes a big bite out of mpg. My 2002 4 cylinder would go from 20 mpg to 15 mpg around town. The colder it got the worse mpg it got. They say an engine does not fully warm up until 10 miles down the road. I think 4 cylinder engines take longer. Also remember the AC comes on with the defroster so the wife might be turning on the AC for that short trip and not realizing it then forgetting to turn it off for the return trip. Where do you live? In traffic I have heard many AC systems cycle on and off in the afternoon when the owners used them in the morning and did not need them in the afternoon but forgot to turn them off.

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
Agreed Tom. In cold temperatures the engine takes longer to warm. For short commutes, that means the majority of the time the car is still running cold and rich, which is consistent with what Avon wrote, but not because of a bad sensor. As you also pointed out, the A/C may be on if the HVAC is set to defrost. That would exacerbate poor fuel economy.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Drive it nice, get an alignment and balance, and should should be able to get there easily. I am averaging 9.0L/100km Combined driving. With anything between 780-860km on the highway with the best being 899kms before fuel light coming on (that is 10L left in the tank)

Also I found that I get in the car even today (-24C) I start the car wait for the RPMs to drop (this takes 30 second to 1 minutes) then go. Any more than that and your doing a disservice to the car, as you need to drive it to get ALL the systems warmed up. Also this will increase fuel economy. ALSO get the new 0W-20 motor oil (if you haven't already) That is what the 2011 came with and is standard now. It is a full synthetic and is a very nice running oil.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Best I've ever got with my 08 2.4L 5-speed Manual is 32 mi/gal and that was with pure freeway/highway driving ranging mainly between 50-72 mph.

Worst I've ever got is 21 mi/gal and that was with me being very aggressive with my normal daily routes (some freeway, some highway, mostly city but overall long commutes 30-60 miles x2).

On average (lately) I get between 24-26 mi/gal but admittedly I have a lead foot and a bit of an aggressive driving style; however, worth noting I use to get 25-29 mi/gal with pretty much the same driving style and route earlier in the car's lifetime but I think that with the vehicle's ever returning cold-start grinding (been addressed twice before) and increasing oil consumption the engine just isn't as efficient as it once use to be.

I will be looking to replace the spark plugs for better performing ones soon and I hope that that might bring my mileage back up some without altering my driving style completely, but all-in-all the 8th Gen Accord has been a bit of a disappointment in fuel mileage IMO given that it's a Honda even though I'm right in-between the acknowledge gas mileage expectancy. Also, I do manage to maintain the air in the tires at approximately 32lbs.

Side Note: Here in WI all the fuel pretty much has some ethanol mix to it. Generally, it's 10% ethanol, but sometimes you'll find even 15% (I usually go somewhere else in cases of this) so that could also be partly why the numbers are reduced some from what others might get elsewhere.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey Avon, you ask Stringer what he thinks about all this?
String was too busy with his macro-economics classes to help me....lol....What a good group this is! 2 replies on my first post that confirm, at least some of you, watch the best show ever! haha I love it!

I hate to say it because I really like my Accord, but with the fuel economy being this bad, I'm considering getting rid of it. The tips you all have given are great and I totally appreciate your attempts to help with it, but I think this is worst fuel economy I've had with any car I've ever owned. That includes several cars and trucks with v8s and Toyota I6s (FJ Landcruiser) which until now, was the worst pound-for-pound gas-guzzler I had driven. At least I could somewhat justify the poor fuel economy in my past cars because they were either high-horsepower vehicles or trucks. This Accord is just baffling.....

I just put 59.6L into it today with 320km on the odometer. Just horrible. I know it's not as scientific as some of you would like, but when the fuel economy is this bad, it doesn't matter. I'm getting half the fuel economy the car is rated for.

It's a bit depressing, really.....<sigh>

·
Registered
52 Posts
I am having the same issue here with my 07 V6 (108,000KM). I get about 15 L/100KM or about 15 mpg.

I thought changing the spark plugs (whihc was due) would help but did not.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1 Posts
injector thing

i have a friend who owns an e34 M5. it didnt took him long to figure the matter, coz i got the same issue with accord. 1liter/5km combine. all freeway in a holyday only get me 1ltr/7km.
so i asked him and this is what he told me. that i should chance the injectors. bcoz apparently injectors come to wear in time. the m5 got the same problem, idle state is shaky, and FC is very poor. ive been searching all forums about this CM5 issue. i got a FB group of CM5 owner here in my city, some of them got almost 14km/liter. around 6 owner says so. so i dont think they joke about this.

so, with all the advice i read here for over a year posted here and didnt make any good sense of the matter, i give you this.
im very sure this will help.

·
RIP my Acorn
566 Posts
so, with all the advice i read here for over a year
Here's some more advice: get a new username.

Jk

But I'll always be two cylinders better than you.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts