Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made a thread a little while back comparing the 2004 TL to my 2004 EX-L Accord. It was quite a surprisingly disappointing experience as I had drooled over the 3rd gen TL's styling ever since it came out. I found the feel of it when I finally test drove to be cheap, sluggish and generally uninspiring. I was happy to get back into my Accord after that. But the never ending wisdom of some of the posters here convinced me that I had just run across a TL with 92K miles that hadn't been well maintained. I vowed to test drive another 3rd gen at some point.

Well, that point was yesterday and all I can say is, boy were you guys right! What a difference from the first one. There was nothing cheap feeling about it at all. This was a 2005 TL and it drove like a dream. More power than my V6 Accord and such a smooth ride. I have to admit I liked the feel of the suspension much better than the Accord as mine sometimes feels like it's non-existant over choppy roads. I was really impressed. So impressed, in fact, that I bought it!

Here are a couple pics from the dealer as I haven't taken any yet. I would have preferred red (like the first one I drove) but I have no aversion to pearl white either:

The very first thing I have to do is tint those windows. The wheels have to go as well!

Now what to do with my EX-L? Sell it? Maybe I can convince the wife to replace her Camry with it!

Crap! She's really attached to it and thinks it's the best thing since sliced bread.

Soo... guess I'll be selling the Accord. :boohoo::bawl:

·
2020 CBP Touring
688 Posts
Nice purchase. Looks great in white I think. It's not too common. :thmsup: Those wheels are one of the sexiest things about the car imho. If you want to unload them PM me please.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice purchase. Looks great in white I think. It's not too common. :thmsup: Those wheels are one of the sexiest things about the car imho. If you want to unload them PM me please.
Thanks 2005 6mt! White was my second choice of color behind red so I'm happy. I think white cars tend to have a clean look about them even as they get older. I'll let you know about the wheels when I replace them. They're okay to me but I would have much preferred the Type-S wheels. I also like these from the ILX but I think they're only 16 inch whereas the TL's are 17 inch. I think this wheel is gorgeous but I don't really want to go down in size.

·
2020 CBP Touring
688 Posts
Have you checked out the 5 spoke 18" 2012+ TL SH-AWD wheels? A little more rounded but might be up your alley. My father has one and I imagine them in my Accord everytime I see it...

Attachments

·
RIP my Acorn
566 Posts
The bolt pattern on 4G TL's is 5x120 and the bolt pattern on ILX's is 5x114.3. Technically you could make the TL's work but you'd need adapters.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Banned
72 Posts
Have you checked out the 5 spoke 18" 2012+ TL SH-AWD wheels? A little more rounded but might be up your alley. My father has one and I imagine them in my Accord everytime I see it...
I see nothing special or spectacular in this wheel just your typical 5 spoke star pattern that has been redone a billion times but then again, I thought the 9 spoke stock 7.5 gen sedan wheels looked good. well, they were made by ENKEI and I used to rock ENKEI RS Evolutions on my Integra so that could be the correlation.

This TL design mentioned has aged very well and might have actually gotten better with time like what they say about wine. It did not catch my eye back then but then again, I was used to Accords styled in 80's and 90s. White in this TL genre is super clean! Vintage classic beaut! :thmsup:

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Those are nice. I might have to add it to my list of wheels to consider!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sold my Accord today and a funny thing happened. The perspective buyer shows up, we look at each other for a moment and we're both thinking the same thing: "This guy looks familiar."

Turns out he's the same guy I sold my TSX to two and a half years ago! Small world...or something along those lines. Sure made the sale go a little easier. Sorry to see my Accord go though. I miss it already. At least I know it's in the hands of another Honda/Acura fanatic and will be well taken care of.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, it's been a week since I purchased the TL and it took me a week to sell the Accord. That means I was fortunate enough to have access to both cars for 7 awesome days. I know many people on here have expressed interest in the TL so I thought I'd give some contrasts and comparisons that I noticed during my brief time of dual ownership. I didn't want to start yet another thread so I thought I'd put those thoughts here. If I've left anything important out, let me know.

Storage space:

The Accord has a lot more of it. That's the first thing I noticed when transferring my stuff from it to the TL. From the trunk to the glove compartment, everything is bigger in the Accord for some reason. I don't understand this since both cars are pretty much identical in size. The middle console is also smaller in the TL. Where I could store small books laying down in the Accord's, I have to store them vertically in the TL's. While the Accord has a big storage space beneath the stereo area, the TL has two small slots which is good for storing my phone and maybe some change, I can't put much else there. And even putting change in one of the slots is iffy as it's hard to retrieve it later.
Advantage: Accord

Leather:

I'm not a big fan of leather and if I could have gotten either the EX-L or the TL in cloth I would have jumped at the chance. That said, I think the TL's leather is better quality. It seems more supple and durable than the Accord's.
Advantage: TL

Styling:

The 7th Gen Accord sedan's styling had to grow on me. It definently wasn't love at first site. I now think it is a beautiful car and one of the things I have grown to like about the 03 - 05's is their unconventional looks with the rear light assemblies. I know most people will say the change with the 7.5 gen's rear was a HUGE improvement but I never thought so. I think both iterations are equally as appealing. On the other hand, I was bowled over by the TL's styling the first time I saw it and still am. Something about the lines, it's size and even the placement of the lights on the side made it a perfect look, IMO. Even when I owned a TSX which is somewhat similar in styling to the TL (if you squint), I would always feel cheated that I was driving the not-as-attractive little brother.

Engine:

As much as I was impressed with my Accord V6's power and feel over the TSX's 4 banger, I am almost equally as impressed with the TL's combination of power and smoothness over my Accord. What I do like still about the Accord's engine was that it had a bit of a growl to it during accelaration, not as deep as say a Mustang or Camaro but it was an unexpected plus. The TL doesn't have a growl, it has this cool, turbine-like howl (okay, whine....but a good whine) during acceleration. And it does accelerate very well.

Sound System:

Okay, maybe I was expecting too much but I was a little let down by the system in the TL. Don't get me wrong, it sounds good but I was expecting more from a 225 watt, 8 speaker system. Especially coming from the Accord which has a 120 watt 6 speaker system. Maybe I need to get the stereo in the TL checked but for now, the sound in the two are pretty much the same. I'll give a slight nod to the TL since the (arghh) tape deck allows me to play my iPod with the help of an adapter. This setup sounds a hundred times better than the USASpec PA-15 adapter I installed in the Accord.
Advantage: The TL by a hair.

Overall Feel:

The TL feels more solid than the Accord. The steering, insulation from road noise, the smoothness of the suspension over bumps etc. Honda did an excellent job of engineering on this one. The Accord feels great but even the heaviness of the TL's doors (or is this just an illusion as I noticed the spring hinges are a lot stronger in the TL) say that it is a solidly put together car.
Advantage TL

Overall Value:

When I started to write this, I was expecting the Accord to win more categories but the more I thought about it, the TL does outperform it in many ways. That said, whenever I would jump in the Accord immediately after driving the TL, I couldn't help but think that these two cars are one in the same. That's not so far off the mark since the TL is based on the Accord. I even experienced some buyer's remorse because of this feeling as, after selling the Accord, there was a net difference of about $3,000 that I paid to make the switch. Was it worth it? Logic says, no. These two cars perform too similarly to say it was a smart move. Emotionally, I'd say, yes. I always wanted one so I got it. There's something to be said about driver satisfaction, especially if you spend extended amounts of time in your car like I do. Still, given the cost of each car when new and even comparing the used car prices I'd say the Accord delivers more value for the amount paid. The V6 Accord just does so many things so well that anything beyond that is a mere bonus, IMO.
Advantage: Accord

So there it is for what it's worth. My novice break down of the differences and sameness of the two. Hope it helps somebody out or was at least vaguely interesting.

Two awesome cars cut from the same cloth!

·
RIP my Acorn
566 Posts
I'm surprised to see that you rated the leather in the TL better in terms of durability. From my experience, the TL leather is nicer, but cracks and loses color much more than the Accord. Otherwise, having driven both (only after I bought my Accord), I would agree with you. I love my Accord but if I came across a minty TL-S 6 speed, I'd jump on it. I hope the TL serves you well in years to come.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm surprised to see that you rated the leather in the TL better in terms of durability. From my experience, the TL leather is nicer, but cracks and loses color much more than the Accord. Otherwise, having driven both (only after I bought my Accord), I would agree with you. I love my Accord but if I came across a minty TL-S 6 speed, I'd jump on it. I hope the TL serves you well in years to come.

Could be that the leather in the TL was maintained well while the leather in my Accord was not cared for as well (it had some cracks when I bought it). I had the same experience with the leather seats in my old TSX which seem to be the same or similar to the ones in the TL. At least they seemed more durable but again, the seats were taken care of. I will say that the back seats in the Accord were in like new condition. Thanks for the well wishes. Acurazine is slow and not the same feeling as here so I will still be on, posting and giving updates on how the new ride is doing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts