Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just test drove the 2014 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring twice (once yesterday and once today). It is REALLY nice. The hybrid system in this car is very non-intrusive. You don't feel the engine start or stop, which is a big problem I found for many hybrids. I found myself in EV mode alot (provided you don't give moderate to aggressive throttle). After back to back test drives with the hybrid and the EX-L (4 cyl), the hybrid is a lot quieter with regards to engine noise and especially road noise, I predict the tires play a part in the latter. The hybrid seemed to want to rev higher (CVT's job of finding the right RPM) due to which I would assume is the lower low end power 2.0l of the hybrid. It's no slouch though I must say, it can move when you give it gas. The regenerative braking is almost not noticeable when slowing down.

One drawback of the car I that saw was the battery hump in the trunk. That and the fact there is no fold down seat or pass-through as a result is a bummer. One show-stopper that I thought was going to be an issue is storage for a stroller. During the second test drive today I decided to try to fit my Chicco full-size stroller. Believe it or not it fit without a problem! It was easier to put in and take out than my 2008 Subaru Impreza hatchback. There was a small amount of space left over, but nothing that would allow for big bags. That said, I am happy that you can fit it in to begin with!

All in all, if the Hybrid is able to hit the EPA MPGs that are advertised, this will be a GREAT seller. I have a 2012 Impreza (36 MPG HWY) that I am seriously considering trading in for this car. Thumbs up Honda!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I also forgot to mention that I contacted AHC and they gave me a list of the warrantied parts. If you live in a California emissions state (CA, CT, ME, MD, MA, NJ, NY, RI, and VT), you get a 10 yr 150k mile warranty on the battery and 15 yr 150k mile on other emissions and hybrid components!

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
I also forgot to mention that I contacted AHC and they gave me a list of the warrantied parts. If you live in a California emissions state (CA, CT, ME, MD, MA, NJ, NY, RI, and VT), you get a 10 yr 150k mile warranty on the battery and 15 yr 150k mile on other emissions and hybrid components!
:( no Ohio.... I would definitely persuade my Dad to buy Accord Hybrid over the the Avalon if the warranty was like Cali Emission. But I find the Avalon styling is better, especially the rear. My .02

To Accord sedan owners, don't take that as a diss.

·
Banned
72 Posts
I just test drove the 2014 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring twice (once yesterday and once today). It is REALLY nice. The hybrid system in this car is very non-intrusive. You don't feel the engine start or stop, which is a big problem I found for many hybrids. I found myself in EV mode alot (provided you don't give moderate to aggressive throttle). After back to back test drives with the hybrid and the EX-L (4 cyl), the hybrid is a lot quieter with regards to engine noise and especially road noise, I predict the tires play a part in the latter. The hybrid seemed to want to rev higher (CVT's job of finding the right RPM) due to which I would assume is the lower low end power 2.0l of the hybrid. It's no slouch though I must say, it can move when you give it gas. The regenerative braking is almost not noticeable when slowing down.

One drawback of the car I that saw was the battery hump in the trunk. That and the fact there is no fold down seat or pass-through as a result is a bummer. One show-stopper that I thought was going to be an issue is storage for a stroller. During the second test drive today I decided to try to fit my Chicco full-size stroller. Believe it or not it fit without a problem! It was easier to put in and take out than my 2008 Subaru Impreza hatchback. There was a small amount of space left over, but nothing that would allow for big bags. That said, I am happy that you can fit it in to begin with!

All in all, if the Hybrid is able to hit the EPA MPGs that are advertised, this will be a GREAT seller. I have a 2012 Impreza (36 MPG HWY) that I am seriously considering trading in for this car. Thumbs up Honda!
Excellent review because you covered the major concerns that everyone has, namely:

1. How much quieter it is cause this has been a major concern for Accords of ever gen.
2. How much quieter the engine is over non hybrid Accords of all gens.
3. How overrated the loss of some space is due to the hybrid battery for the trunk and how underrated the trunk space actually is.
4. How much pep it is despite being a hybrid so no issue of power for a hybrid!
5. Stellar gas mileage that is just as advertised and no gimmicks
6. Ofcourse the best news is it looks just like the 9th gen so we know exactly what we are getting in a nicely styled car and the conservative nature parallels the hybrid drivetrain which is more of natural fit versus gas only!!
7. The price is just right too at 30k!! Seems like a prospective buyer can recoup any future post warranty expense cause this hybrid could easily be priced 10k more, imo!!

Can anyone predict that this car will cannibalize EX-L and touring "gas guzzler" I4 Accords and even the V6s? *** *** *** wahhhh peeps!

·
Registered
514 Posts
7. The price is just right too at 30k!! Seems like a prospective buyer can recoup any future post warranty expense cause this hybrid could easily be priced 10k more, imo!!
They have that... for 10k more you can buy the Plug-In Accord and get off gas completely (for a little while.) :thmsup:

·
Don't hate on my color!!
1,842 Posts
They have that... for 10k more you can buy the Plug-In Accord and get off gas completely (for a little while.) :thmsup:
There is also a $3300 tax credit for the plug-in, so you're paying really only $7k more. That's a lot of gas tho...

·
Registered
514 Posts
There is also a $3300 tax credit for the plug-in, so you're paying really only $7k more. That's a lot of gas tho...
Well, I was kind of teasing... The Plug-In is more like the Hybrid Touring, at $34.9k, so really only $5k, minus your $3300 tax credit (which varies with additional state incentives.)

·
Registered
58 Posts
I drove an EX-L hybrid today. We took a 15 mile loop consisting of 2 lane country roads at 60 mph and stop and go city driving (70/30). Also had the AC on as it was about 80 degrees. I got 52.1 mpg just driving it, no hypermiling. Very nice quiet ride. I could be tempted if they can put a spare tire in the trunk. The salesman is going to check.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Excellent review because you covered the major concerns that everyone has, namely:

1. How much quieter it is cause this has been a major concern for Accords of ever gen.
2. How much quieter the engine is over non hybrid Accords of all gens.
3. How overrated the loss of some space is due to the hybrid battery for the trunk and how underrated the trunk space actually is.
4. How much pep it is despite being a hybrid so no issue of power for a hybrid!
5. Stellar gas mileage that is just as advertised and no gimmicks
6. Ofcourse the best news is it looks just like the 9th gen so we know exactly what we are getting in a nicely styled car and the conservative nature parallels the hybrid drivetrain which is more of natural fit versus gas only!!

Can anyone predict that this car will cannibalize EX-L and touring "gas guzzler" I4 Accords and even the V6s? *** *** *** wahhhh peeps!
1) it is nearly completely silent depending on the road
2) when the engine runs it sounds like a 2.4L non-hybrid engine.
3) the trunk space loss is minor. plus you have room above the battery as a shelf
4) it's faster than a 4cyl cvt. 0-60 is 7.1 sec vs 7.8 sec cvt. (v6 hybrid was 6.9)
5) yup
6) yep
7) mmhmm

to the OP: there is no transmission in the car. namely it has an electric motor that drives the wheels at all times, expect during highway speeds.

at about 50mph+ there is a mechanical clutch that engages the engine for overdrive. at all other speeds the electric motor turns the wheels. the engine only runs below about 50mph to generate electricity for the motor and battery if needed.

so you may go 'full throttle' and experience a silent massive thrust of power. then the engine will turn on to provide enough electricity to sustain that acceleration as needed. this may cause the engine to rev much higher than you'd expect - disproportionate to speed. this is why you feel it revs higher - that is the speed the engine needed to sustain electrical output.

as I see it the car should have 3 odometers:

1 to show how much the engine has run
1 to show how much the motor has run
1 for the body

I fully expect to trade in my 13 sedan cvt for one when we have a decent stock.

also....no drive belt!
electric power steering, electric water pump, electric compressor, internal alternator...very cool!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Recent discussion on this. Did you ask dealer if battery & components warranty is full replacement or pro-rated for remaining time/miles?
Just called AHMC. The parts that are covered under the emissions/hybrid components are NOT prorated. They are covered at 100% with no cost to the owner. This applies to the hybrid battery as well. The ONLY prorated covered component is the 12v car battery that is used to start the engine. Warranty is transferable as well. Awesome!

·
Banned
5,773 Posts
1)also....no drive belt!
electric power steering, electric water pump, electric compressor, internal alternator...very cool!
WHAT!!?! That is way bananas! No drivetrain losses from running accessories. That's awesome! :banana:

Thanks for that piece of info. All engines should be like this. Hybrid or not.

·
Registered
258 Posts
My technician told me that the light horn sound you hear when the car is in electric mode is a tone the car creates from the horn to let pedestrians know the car is in motion. I always thought the sound I was hearing was from the electric motor itself. I'm going to end up buying one of these. I notice no clucking noises when putting the car in drive or reverse, like I hear with our V6...it is just so refined....

·
Registered
684 Posts
to the OP: there is no transmission in the car. namely it has an electric motor that drives the wheels at all times, expect during highway speeds.

at about 50mph+ there is a mechanical clutch that engages the engine for overdrive. at all other speeds the electric motor turns the wheels. the engine only runs below about 50mph to generate electricity for the motor and battery if needed.
This all agrees with what I've understood about this car to date. Either the electric motor is propelling the car or the gas engine is propelling the car (at cruising speeds). And sometimes the gas engine is providing electricity to the electric motor.

Then I began noticing some Honda display ads on the web and the diagrams look like gas and electric power are driving the wheels. It made me think of a Prius where engine power and electric power sometimes combine or assist each other. But, to clarify, that's not what happens on the HAH.

Here's a nice diagram:

Linked that picture from Alex L ***** excellent review: First Drive Review: 2014 Honda Accord Hybrid (With Video)

also....no drive belt!
I love this concept! I was commenting that hybrids are more complicated vehicles a while back. Then someone pointed out how the recent Toyota hybrids have gone to this setup. Seems simpler and better to have that stuff all electric.

·
Banned
5,773 Posts
All of this cool tech from Honda makes me all giddy to see what Honda has in store for the NSX and RLX AWD with their 3 motor setup.

·
Registered
3 Posts
More like $3K more once you figure in incentives. My $40K PHEV had $7K+ in incentives (Fed tax credit, CA rebate) bringing the price down to roughly $33K if you pay sticker. My local dealer was $3.5K below list so all told my cost was about $30K for the Plug-In.

Currently I'm driving 55% of my miles on electricity so I've cut my gas usage down quite a bit but not quite to zero...

Trunk space is an issue - I can fit my golf clubs in the trunk but the shoes make it a tight squeeze!

·
Registered
684 Posts
It would be awesome to see that same stroller in a non-hybrid Accord trunk! Maybe push it back or something too to see what else could be packed in.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts