Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm am thankful to Honda primarily because about two weeks ago my 17 year old son was driving home in our 2008 Accord and while sitting stopped waiting to turn left he was plowed into from behind by another car that had not noticed him until way too late and had barely slowed down. Other than a headache at the time of the accident that required an ambulance ride to the hospital and being sore for a few days afterward it appears as though he is physically ok after the accident. The car on the other hand was not... I suppose it did what it was designed to do and crushed to absorb the impact, aside from totally crushing the trunk, the C-pillar was buckled and the rear door was pushed forward into the the drivers door. Even the roof was bowed, it was determined to be a total loss by the insurance agency. The engineering work that Honda did designing the body structure and the active head restraints really paid off for us.

After the car was totaled I learned how well Honda's hold their value as the settlement check was more that I would have imagined and enabled us to buy an otherwise identical but brand new 2011 model with no money out of pocket along with a lower monthly payment.

We toyed with the idea of looking at another make of car but in the end we couldn't turn our back on another Accord. Up to the time of the accident at 30K miles the car had been 100% trouble free. I've owned a few new cars in my day and this was far and away the best I have experienced. :thmsup:

·
Banned
294 Posts
I'm am thankful to Honda primarily because about two weeks ago my 17 year old son was driving home in our 2008 Accord and while sitting stopped waiting to turn left he was plowed into from behind by another car that had not noticed him until way too late and had barely slowed down. Other than a headache at the time of the accident that required an ambulance ride to the hospital and being sore for a few days afterward it appears as though he is physically ok after the accident. The car on the other hand was not... I suppose it did what it was designed to do and crushed to absorb the impact, aside from totally crushing the trunk, the C-pillar was buckled and the rear door was pushed forward into the the drivers door. Even the roof was bowed, it was determined to be a total loss by the insurance agency. The engineering work that Honda did designing the body structure and the active head restraints really paid off for us.

After the car was totaled I learned how well Honda's hold their value as the settlement check was more that I would have imagined and enabled us to buy an otherwise identical but brand new 2011 model with no money out of pocket along with a lower monthly payment.

We toyed with the idea of looking at another make of car but in the end we couldn't turn our back on another Accord. Up to the time of the accident at 30K miles the car had been 100% trouble free. I've owned a few new cars in my day and this was far and away the best I have experienced. :thmsup:
That was the 8th gen's ACE body structure "going to work" for your boy.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Ive seen a lot of honda accidents in the Accord that where from behind and they do an exellent job of protecting the passengers. This was one factor in me buying the Accord. Glad your son is ok.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Glad your son is OK. Great news about the Honda! Enjoy your '11 now :)

I am curious...how would a person have faired riding in the back seat??

·
lol wut
570 Posts
Glad to hear your son is alright! My friend recently got into an accident in his 7.5 gen sedan in which he was rear ended as well. Aside from a ruined rear bumper and muffler his car was structurally ok. However when he showed me pics of the other car, the front-end looked completely mangled.

·
niiice!
347 Posts
Glad your son was alright.

<3 Honda.

I think only Honda and Subaru have the best crash tests with least damage to the driver.

infact my friends haave totalled two 8th gens... a sedan and a coupe and they have been 100% safe in the crashes while the car was marked down as a total loss.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Glad your son is okay. Hopefully there will be no side effects down the road. I remember when I got into a similar accident, I started to feel aches and pain about two months after accident.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Glad your son was alright.

<3 Honda.

I think only Honda and Subaru have the best crash tests with least damage to the driver.

infact my friends haave totalled two 8th gens... a sedan and a coupe and they have been 100% safe in the crashes while the car was marked down as a total loss.
Yes, cheers to Subaru. A close relation of mine had a nasty accident years ago in an Outback, and walked away with just a few bruises.

Also glad to hear that there were no serious injuries. Enjoy your next Accord. :)

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Glad your Son okay. The accord is a really great car. I remember when my accord was rear ended on the freeway. The car did it job and everyone walked out of the car with just scratches and bruises

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Glad to hear your son is ok.

I am again looking at Honda (Specifically the Accord Coupe) for the reason that back in the fall of 2006, I had a 2002 Civic LX that I had a front end crash in. Completely written off; traveling at 50kph (35mph) I hit an Acura RSX who had ran a stop sign. Got out without a single pain, cut, or bruise.

Testament to how well Honda's are built / engineered is evident everytime a story like your sons' arrises.

I will try and post a picture later.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts