Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello and thank you.
I have been lurking on here for about a month or so now. I have a 2013 accord 4dr lx. I have about 6k miles on it and was ready to upgrade the sound system. Thanks t you all here I already knew in advance to unhook the ANC module. I ran a power cable through the firewall where the plug was above the fuse box and there are pictures around this site that helped with all that.
I looked at what people were using for speakers and MY main goal was to run everything from stock headunit. No amp for the mids and highs. I looked at focal, Polks, MB quarts, kicker and fosgate. Now I am 37 years old but I still like to feel that bass and have a good sound. I ended up chatting with a rep from crutchfield. Told him what I wanted and they suggested the Rockford Fosgate r165s seperates for the front and the kicker cs654 for the back. So for the price I said what the heck Ill give it a shot.
With the info on the forums here i ordered the sail panels for the tweeters and had the door panels off in 10 minutes. I replaced the fronts first along with some sound deadening matering in the front doors. This made a huge difference. The RF set in the front is really loud. I wish it had more mids and a warmer sound but for the price I am not complaining.
If it wasnt for a rattle on the rear decklid I probably would not of changed the rear speakers out. But since I would putting some dynamat back there I replaced the back speakers with the kickers from crutchfield. This wasnt too hard but took a little more time. Again, Thanks to the forum I knew about removing the bottom seat, side cushions, rear pillars and all the steps to get there...
While I was in the garage I upgraded from a 8 awg wire to a 4 awg power wire for my new amp for the subs. THe Amp will be here tuesday and is a Sundown audio saz1000d. Subs are 2 sundown audio SA 10 d4 subs. THis should really round of the system nicely. MAybe a little overkill on the subs.. but I can always turn them down.
So far I am pretty pleased. To do over again I would probably of gotten a little nicer set of front speakers and skipped the rears. But I highly suggest adding some dound deading material to the tunk area above the trunk liner and below the deck at least. For the trunk i used peel and seal from lowes. Worked really well. like 17 bucks a roll... I was getting a lot of vibration from my rear decklid around 60hz and adding all the sound deadening material did take care of that for now. So all in all I am happy with the upgrades. It is really loud and the highs are much crisper. Thank you to all who have made posts on here. it was a huge help.

·
Registered
884 Posts
So you just did a regular speaker change? I was considering throwing some nice Alpine speakers in. Didn't know if it would change much running off the stock HU.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did change the 4 stock speakers and added the tweeters in the front. The biggest change in my opinon was the change to seperates in the front and the sound deadener in the rear as the current sub rattled the deck lid.

here is the sub i am using curently

front door panel off

stock speaker next to replacement

and the new tweeter panel with tweeter installed.

The amp will be in this week and I need to start making a box for the new subs. I wold like to flush mount the amp and do a really clean install in the trunk. I dont want to take up much room. I want to be able to listen to it everyday.... but have it really pound every once in a while. lol.

·
Registered
352 Posts
If adding those speakers really do sound much better than stock, I'm all in. But since I'm on the "premium" system, would these speakers really have much improvement? And since I already have tweeters, would I just connect the fosgate tweeters to the existing wiring or connect the tweeters to the speaker that has a spot for it?

I doubt I can remove the door panel in 10 minutes though but seeing a lot of this is plug and play when using the requires parts all provided by crutchfield, paying that extra $30 over Amazon might be worth it.

Saw this on the Crutchfield review:
Spent the afternoon installing these into my 2013 Honda Accord EX (6-speakers), and what a royal mistake. OK, so the magnet is bigger than on the stock woofers. What I could tell with my ears is there is no way these woofers put out as much bass as I had before. How convinced am I that these speakers are not nearly as good? I re-installed the originals. FWIW, the Fosgate tweeters were felt light and insubstantial compared to stock as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I had the premium system as yourself... I would pobably just leave them in for now and maybe bump up he sub a little to round out the system.

I am ordering a FI ssd 12 I think for the back and going sealed. Kep it hard and tight.... Amp be here tomorow...

·
'13 Sport CVT white
112 Posts
I think those were the speakers the stereo shop put in my front doors as well.

Did you have to pad the tweeters any to get them to sound right?

I did a sweep in the car with mine because they seemed so bright, and found that they were 10-11 db too hot. I had to pad them down quite a bit to bring the level to where it was flat. They would have fried my ear drums had I left them that way.

I used a 6.5" bandpass box ported through the rear deck with a small RF amp. I left my rear speakers stock.

Nice job on your setup, stock certainly leaves a lot to be desired.

TomZ

·
Banned
1,375 Posts
For aftermarket speakers u need an amp to get it to sound good. The stock speakers are meant to have bass in it, aftermarket needs to be tuned and will sound much better than stock speakers

·
Registered
608 Posts
Best change is to get the tweeters swapped out. I used the JBL MS-62C since they are highly rated all over the car audio scene and they are super affordable at under $200 for the entire kit. I have not changed out my stock door woofers (yet) as they are much more involved. The tweeters are SUPER EASY to change. The difference is day and night from the tweeter change alone. No longer do the fronts sound like a $15 USB PC speaker set. I just did a 6 hour drive and had the sound on the entire time with no listening fatigue - that says something.

Bottom end needs significant strengthening with a real subwoofer though, which unfortunately isn't easy (cheap) to do unless you enjoy having a huge box take up half your entire trunk or some other ugly solution. I enjoy my trunk space and don't want to sacrifice anything more than I need to. Sadly, this means custom fiberglass enclosures which are pricey.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Best change is to get the tweeters swapped out. I used the JBL MS-62C since they are highly rated all over the car audio scene and they are super affordable at under $200 for the entire kit. I have not changed out my stock door woofers (yet) as they are much more involved. The tweeters are SUPER EASY to change. The difference is day and night from the tweeter change alone. No longer do the fronts sound like a $15 USB PC speaker set. I just did a 6 hour drive and had the sound on the entire time with no listening fatigue - that says something.

Bottom end needs significant strengthening with a real subwoofer though, which unfortunately isn't easy (cheap) to do unless you enjoy having a huge box take up half your entire trunk or some other ugly solution. I enjoy my trunk space and don't want to sacrifice anything more than I need to. Sadly, this means custom fiberglass enclosures which are pricey.
Certainly but I don't think I'd want to spend $200 plus only to use the tweeters in the package. Does JBL sell the tweeters as a stand alone? I can't seem to find those exact ones.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts