Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 797 Posts

·
Retired from Car Biz....
7,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For anyone who can't fight their way thru the 100 page lighting thread...LOL

Q: Whats the "best" HID kit to buy?

I own 3 pairs of HID lights - low beam, High and fogs….After buying about 4 "kits" and reading every HID thread for a year here, if I was buying again I would buy a la carte. It only takes 3 items a side, the harness to connect to the car plug, the ballast and the bulb. It's that simple. But the kits are either too expensive, have blue bulbs or bad ballasts. But is easy to buy each part and buy the best of the best…so here's the "DA ala carte HID system" -totally plug and play, no relays needed - many members here have used these items with great success...

a good harness:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-H8-H9-H1...Parts_Accessories&hash=item27d28598bd&vxp=mtr

the best type ballast - choose the std option

the TRS white shadow free bulbs:
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=40570

choose 4300 or 5000K…expensive, but these bulbs eliminate the shadows, found with most other H11 bulbs that are cheaper, and everyone here agrees these are the color they claim to be.….

All total should be $120 or so…..NOTHING ELSE - no can bus, d2 harnesses, relays, etc. are need for this 35W "kit" -

and if anyone has a link to a kit that has these components, please post it but I can't find one.

Note : some harnesses need to be flipped on Hondas - so if you plug into the car headlight plug and it does not work, just flip and reconnect - no harm to fuses or car...

Note: some will remark bulbs can be found cheaper, go do it and if they are the color you like, you saved some money. But we know the TRS are consistent in batch, white and shadow free.

ATTACHED IS A SIMPLE HOW TO INSTALL PDF

Attachments

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Glen,

Two Questions:

1. Your link to Amazon has 3 options to choose from: standard, standard with D2 plug adapter, or compact. Which one do you recommend?

2. Does this "kit" you've put together go for low, high, and fog, or just low? If just low, what would the equivalent be for high and fog?

Thanks for posting this information. I badly wanted the Touring headlamps but there's no way in hell I'm going to shell out over $1k. I gave up and was holding off on buying the complete Morimoto kit due to cost but I can deal with the cost of your "kit".

·
Retired from Car Biz....
7,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Glen,

Two Questions:

1. Your link to Amazon has 3 options to choose from: standard, standard with D2 plug adapter, or compact. Which one do you recommend?

2. Does this "kit" you've put together go for low, high, and fog, or just low? If just low, what would the equivalent be for high and fog?

Thanks for posting this information. I badly wanted the Touring headlamps but there's no way in hell I'm going to shell out over $1k. I gave up and was holding off on buying the complete Morimoto kit due to cost but I can deal with the cost of your "kit".
1. standard
2. yes -with the approp bulbs you can do all HID's - H8 for fogs, HB3 for hi beams - although both unnecessary - a phillips crystal vision for high and a good LED from the lighting thread will work there - the fogs are largely decoration and don't function well on a accord..

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
glen,

Thanks for throwing this together, I have the EX-L Coupe V6 AT Navi and was put off because of so many posts that made it so confusing, now thanks to your consolidating this bundle, I'll be purchasing this setup.

Have to ask, is there that big of a difference between Stock and this upgrade?

·
Registered
85 Posts
yes...HID's , although not perfect in a halogen projector (which we have) still work very,very well...to me it is a "night and day" difference.
I read in the 126+ pages of the lighting sticky that HIDs in the high beams of 2013 coupes weren't recommended because the coupes don't have true projectors with cut-offs. My recollection may not be 100% accurate.

As you suggested I searched the lighting sticky for a discussion of the Phillips Crystal Vision being used as high beams and didn't come away with a clear understanding. It was even mentioned that they had a yellow cast to them.

I realize that you recommend the Phillips Crystal Vision being used as high beams. But if the 2013 coupes have projectors with cut-offs and I chose to use HIDs for high beams would I need to buy only the additional bulbs or additional ballasts and harnesses?

As you put "newbies" in the title of this thread, maybe you could help with some of these. My 2000 S2000 has HIDs and I've presumed that they were both low and high beam. I like the bright white color and the sharp cut-offs from these lights.

Thanks for the help!

·
Retired from Car Biz....
7,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1. the coupe does not have projectors with cut offs in the high beam - go look...
2. if you want to put HID's in the highs go ahead, I do, but only for flashing - there is no cut off, you will blind people if left on - and of course you need ballasts and harnesses for any HID.
3. my crystal visions had no "yellow" - everyone sees color differently...

I purposely set up my car so there is no "matching" - it will drive you crazy trying to match - no lights continuously work when others do:
1. LED DRL strip runs alone during day
2. at night - lows run and if fogs run, they are yellow, so no match
3. High just flash so they are never on to match

·
Registered
85 Posts
1. the coupe does not have projectors with cut offs in the high beam - go look...
2. if you want to put HID's in the highs go ahead, I do, but only for flashing - there is no cut off, you will blind people if left on - and of course you need ballasts and harnesses for any HID.
Thanks. I'm learning a lot.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Thanks to Glen for putting this together.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Been holding off on doing the HID kit for god knows what reason. Now that you've simplified it in this thread I will be buying this week. Thanks

Also for those ordering the ballasts it wont hurt your pocket to bad to buy 3 to have a spare. Ballasts do go out sometimes, more often than bulbs.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Thank you glen. You are the man! This will help others in finding what they want at a really good price!

Glen, how did you disable the DLR(high) and put power to strip lights for day time operation?

·
Registered
1,062 Posts

I purposely set up my car so there is no "matching" - it will drive you crazy trying to match - no lights continuously work when others do:
1. LED DRL strip runs alone during day
2. at night - lows run and if fogs run, they are yellow, so no match
3. High just flash so they are never on to match
glen

I use my Bright's quite often here in Nebraska, due to long open spaces, do you recommend going HID for bright or leave it alone?

Before I go and spend several hours reading the other threads, did you create a step X step tutorial of the actual process of installing the ballast, harness & bulbs?

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
glen

I use my Bright's quite often here in Nebraska, due to long open spaces, do you recommend going HID for bright or leave it alone?

Before I go and spend several hours reading the other threads, did you create a step X step tutorial of the actual process of installing the ballast, harness & bulbs?
The pdf that glen attached covers the steps necessary. You can put(stick, hide) your ballast somewhere on the car frame. Make sure no water can get to the ballast. :thmsup:

·
Registered
1,689 Posts

·
Retired from Car Biz....
7,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
glen

up to you...I'd wait to see if you like the HID's - then do it later..

·
Retired from Car Biz....
7,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 797 Posts