Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you use it, or just turn the headlights on or off? I played with it a bit and it seems completely idiot proof - can you just leave the car set to "auto" all the time, and have it do the right thing with the headlights?

·
Former H Master Tech
318 Posts
I leave it on auto at all times. Through the I-MID you can adjust how light sensitive you want it to be when they turn on/off and how long after you lock the doors they stay on... Great features

·
Registered
227 Posts
auto feature works seamlessly, they even come on with the windshield wipers if they are used for a certain amount of time, a perfect feature for those states that require your lights to be on when your wipers are on :thmsup:

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
I use it all the time. You have to play with the adjustment to figure out how dark it has to be to turn on or off the lights.

·
6 Cylinders and 6 Gears
721 Posts
I leave it in auto, that way I can't forget to turn my lights on at night.

·
Don't hate on my color!!
1,842 Posts
I use auto all the time, seamless. FYI if you leave the lights in Auto they'll turn on automatically when you turn on the wipers.

·
HA-420
709 Posts
I don't use the Auto Headlight feature. I like to control when the HIDs turn on/off.

The LED DRLs are plenty bright in the rare event I forget to turn on the headlights.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I don't use the auto feature because my car is parked inside the garage at home. With the auto feature, it always lights up when I start my car up inside the garage or when I pull inside it even when there's sunlight out. I turn the sensitivity down but it still turns on whenever it's in the garage. I just don't want the light to turn on, and when I back out from my driveway, it shuts off...to me, I don't like it lit for a few seconds and turn off; or vice versa, turns on when I pull into the garage and turns off in a few seconds after I shut off the engine.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I don't use the Auto Headlight feature. I like to control when the HIDs turn on/off.

The LED DRLs are plenty bright in the rare event I forget to turn on the headlights.
Same here. I would had liked that the "auto" option was the last click on the stalk and not the second to last.

·
Blinded by the light
1,551 Posts
I like to turn them on/off. I've always done that in the past and it keeps me sharp for when I need to drive a car without an auto feature.

Or maybe I'm just a control freak...

·
Registered
496 Posts
Same here. I would had liked that the "auto" option was the last click on the stalk and not the second to last.
Or turn the switch the opposite direction for "auto" like BMW's.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I'm in the same boat as nayr14. I like to do it myself, mostly just to stay in the habit. It's the kind of thing that gets forgotten easily when you're not used to doing it, and I'm paranoid about forgetting to turn them on at first when I drive a different car.

Besides, I've never tried the auto function, but there are a lot of things I'd rather do myself, and controlling the lights is one of them.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'm in the same boat as nayr14. I like to do it myself, mostly just to stay in the habit. It's the kind of thing that gets forgotten easily when you're not used to doing it, and I'm paranoid about forgetting to turn them on at first when I drive a different car.

Besides, I've never tried the auto function, but there are a lot of things I'd rather do myself, and controlling the lights is one of them.
Same here bro. I like to do it myself too.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I set the exit delay to zero, and keep the switch in "AUTO" at all times. Works great, and the having the lights in the garage assist in pulling forward just far enough! :thmsup: Only time I shut the lights off is going into a car wash or when taking the car in for service.

The best part is the fact that Honda put the interior lights on a separate ambient-light sensor, which works PERFECTLY in my experience. (In my 2006, especially, I'd have to reach forward and tweak the brightness to "full" in order to see anything during the day if I had to turn on the lights. In the 8th-Gens, the lights come on when you open or unlock the door in darkness (at least with an exit delay set), plus when the lights go on automatically, the interior lights dim, no matter the conditions; does the former also happen in the 9th-Gens if the exit delay is set? :dunno:) It can be pouring rain, yet my lights are on as required in Ohio when the wipers are going, and I can still see my gauges and displays! :yes:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I set the exit delay to zero, and keep the switch in "AUTO" at all times.
I just searched the manual and cannot seem to find the "Exit delay". Can you explain how to set this, and what it is exactly? Is it just the amount of time after the key exits the car that the car turns off the headlights?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I use AUTO but only because it seems to be brighter than just "on"? Is that the case for others as well?

Also, this is a dumb question but when I get out of the car and leave it on AUTO, I thought the lights would switch off but they remain on even when I pulled the key and closed the door?

·
Former H Master Tech
318 Posts
I use AUTO but only because it seems to be brighter than just "on"? Is that the case for others as well?

Also, this is a dumb question but when I get out of the car and leave it on AUTO, I thought the lights would switch off but they remain on even when I pulled the key and closed the door?
it is not possible for them to be brighter, they run off the same 12v power the "On" does.

In your i-MID you can select to have your lights turn off when you turn remove the key from the ignition and open your door or set them on a delay of your choice. Play with the "Light settings" in the menu.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts