Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks are talking about getting new mirrors, wide angle rear view mirrors and electronic detection systems on their car to eliminate blind spots. But what you currently have is already the best solution - you just need to make a small adjustment in your mirrors and in your current comfort level.

Funny enough i've always had my mirrors traditionally, and with a 04 coupe, there's a huge blindspot which made me always turn my head to check it - adjusting the mirror to eliminate the blind spot took a bit of getting used to (as well as not having to turn my head out of habit) but it does the job, and better than any detection systems and upgrades.

There isn't a single, universal method to adjust the mirrors properly since everyone's seating position and vehicle is different. The surest way to do it is this:

Go to a parking lot and pull your car up so that you're to the right of a parked car (with spacing similar to road lanes). While looking straight ahead, pull the car slowly up to a point where the car remains in your peripheral vision, and is comfortably detectable. When you're at that point where it begins to go off your periphery, stop the car and adjust the left mirror until the car comes in within your view in the mirror. Repeat on your right side. Simple.

Now, adjusting the mirror this way will make it more difficult for you to parallel park. I find that adjusting the mirror slightly more downward than you usually do in the above adjustment, and leaning your head back in your seat a bit during parking will bring the curb line to view and you can park the car without scuffing your wheels.

I mean, it's either making some adjustments during driving and parking versus getting in a wreck, so get used to it, right? :thmsup:

·
Low Gear
2,935 Posts
It's hard to teach old dogs new tricks. I think it goes back to driving school. Can you see the rear of your car? Ok, set it there.

Why do we need to see the rear of our cars? We know how it looks like. We really should be looking at the cars in next lane (on both right and left).

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's hard to teach old dogs new tricks. I think it goes back to driving school. Can you see the rear of your car? Ok, set it there.

Why do we need to see the rear of our cars? We know how it looks like. We really should be looking at the cars in next lane (on both right and left).
Well, the hardest part to get used to is looking at your rear mirror to see what's behind you (which may sound obvious, but if you're like me, you may have gotten in to the habit of glancing at your side mirrors half the time to do this) and parking.

Either way, i got sick of close calls on center lane mergers (where a car in the left lane in your blind spot merges in to the same lane that you're moving in to) so i made the adjustment and it's quite a difference for the better.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh i forgot to mention the Broadway rear view mirror that i had put in place. They're actually very nice and clean. They definitely enhances the clarity in their highly reflective mirror surface. But as far as the wide angle, blind spot removing aspect goes... doesn't help ANY at all, if you have a coupe 2dr. I can definitely see how this can help in a bigger, more spacious cars and trucks, but the fact of the matter is, for a car like a accord coupe 2dr, all you're gonna see is your big ol noggin blocking the blind spot area, so you're not gonna see anything that your side mirrors can't catch. Maybe if you sit real low in your car so your head doesn't get in the way but... even if you're able to remove your head out of the way, the view through the little triangular opening (which looks even smaller due to the wide angle curvature), it's unlikely you're gonna catch anything on it before it's too late.

My recommendation is, get it if you want to get a nice clear look in your rear, but it's not gonna help for blind spots if you have a smaller car to begin with.

·
Registered
86 Posts
With my mirrors adjusted properly to eliminate blind spots, it's extremely hard to parallel park into tight spaces.

·
Generation 9
565 Posts
Mirrors

Besides turning around over your shoulder, I have found that leaning forward toward the steering wheel, kind of hunched, will draw the car into that blind spot. I have seen a many using this method that did not appear in first glance.:paranoid:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts