Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
'03 E39 Sport - 5 Spd
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I posted this on V6P.Net and I thought I would share it here :D

Hey guys, as some of you know I am wrapping up the Honda life in favor for a BMW
haha, but with finishing school and getting a decent paying job I'm ready for the next adventure, wherever it takes me.

So after going completely stock I noticed something that I thought I should share with the entire forum...

Most of you know I drive a MT, so this review is for that... a MT i4. I had on the vehicle UR racing pulleys, the TSX intake manifold, a 2.5" catback exhaust with magnaflow muffler and a "custom," made HPS Cold Air Intake.

The BIGGEST performance gain you will notice IMO is going to be the intake system, aka TSX IM and CAI. Once I removed those two pieces I noticed a gradual reduction in throttle response and more of a sluggish response. When I had all my performance parts on the car the response in higher RPM's was awesome "vtec," really "kicked in yo," and the car would definitely haul ass. It really did feel like a decent fun 200 HP Honda. The only thing I regret looking back is those big heavy 18" V6 rims, I feel like they really bogged down the bottom end, but then again, this car is not known for its top end, IMO.

Today while driving home from work, I kinda spaced out on a green light and was playing "catch up," my goodness... acceleration in first gear was pitiful and puny... I had to place my foot all the way down and wait for the RPM's to catch up then go to second, completely different story in "post mod stage."

Bottom line, if you were handed down an accord or you just bought and i4 MT and you want to make it a little more "peppy," I strongly recommend the mods I have listed above. It will make the driving experience MUCH more enjoyable.
However, don't look forward to drastic changes and expect to keep up with Evos/Stis and whatever the crap people out there are modding. ;)

This is not good-bye, I will still be frequenting the forum and creep all the build threads :D

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
Fare thee well, young Russian....

....and a nice wrap up you wrote.

·
2005 Accord EX-L *SSM*
423 Posts
Thanks for your review Russian. I enjoyed your build thread and admit some of your ideas inspired me.

Although I would like to point out that I'm not sure if I agree with your review on the intake. When I had mine installed, granted I have an Auto i4, acceleration was very sluggish. Maybe it was my perception of all sound but no bite?

Needless to say, I wish you the best in your future endeavors. Don't forget to link us to your new build, I have reasonable doubt you'll be keeping it stock.

Good Luck! :thmsup:

·
'03 E39 Sport - 5 Spd
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, like I mentioned my review was strictly for a MT so I can't comment on an AT.
And I definitely will link my BMW build thread, it's not going to be one of those "hella flush," episodes. It's gong to be functional.

·
Banned
694 Posts
Sad to see it go. I liked your Accord.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Russian, what kind of BMW?

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Good luck with everything, Russian. Being as meticulous as you are, I'm sure you're already prepared for the drop in reliability that accompanies the joy of driving a BMW. The 03 was the most reliable year of the E39 and moreso, the manual, but they are plagued with leaks, among other issues. Just make sure you are buying one with good maintenance records.

·
'03 E39 Sport - 5 Spd
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You got it, i'm not like most people that buy a new car and started modding it right away... getting the maintenance done is a MUST with the E39. Plan is to get a decent low mileage (around 80k) and replace the cooling system and fix any leaks.

But like you said, the E39 M54B30 had one of the most reliable built BMW motors.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts