Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen a whole lot of posts on here where this issue was never solved or fixed. Most likely due to not getting solutions early enough along in the process. Yes, this is a manufacturer defect with the oil control rings on the piston heads in the engine. Yes I did notice the issue right away at 95k miles when I did an oil change and noticed only 3 quarts drained out. Did the research at that point and saw the TSB on the oil control rings. I immediately got a quart of MMO and substituted one quart of 5w-20, for the MMO. I also immediately purchased an oil catch can and installed it very nicely. I did fabricate my own bracket for the oil catch can and did not use the bracket that came with it. I wanted to install the catch can on the firewall and up high and also level/plumb. I have not been consuming oil and have verified that there were never any external oil leaks to begin with. My plan in the future is to do an engine flush right before each drain and fillwith Amsoil engine flush (read instructions). Replace the penzzoil oil with Amsoil signature series 5w-20 and stick with Amsoil from here on out. I was an Amsoil skeptic before, but after using it on one of my other cars I am thoroughly convinced at how great of an oil it truly is. Its better than OEM in my opinion, way better!! Ofcourse, if you have let this issue persist too long it may not be fixable for you, but for me I caught it right away and got proactive about it. Its not a death sentence if you notice the oil consumption issue soon enough and I calculated that I must have had only one oil control ring that was stuck by the time I fixed it. Got lucky! Will report back as time goes on! Thanks!

·
Registered
2010 Honda Accord (LX)
598 Posts
Good to hear, but the same fixes don't always work for everyone. I know I put plenty of MMO in my oil to no effect.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good to hear, but the same fixes don't always work for everyone. I know I put plenty of MMO in my oil to no effect.
Thanks, yeah I realize it may not work for everyone. Did you try the oil catch can

I did on my 7th gen, it also made no noticeable difference, though it usually did catch 3-5 oz. per oil change (about 8,000 miles for me)
Yeah its more to save the cats and other things but I feel like I definitely got lucky. To be honest, I found out about the TSB from these forums. So I am definitely grateful I got it fixed early enough. Im sure I will have to keep any eye on it as I make sure to check the level every week. Its been holding for a month now. I was burning a quart every 750 miles. 8000 mile oil change? How often were you adding oil, if I may ask?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That makes sense too. The manufacturer recommends replacement of the the piston heads for an updated version and switching to 0w-20 after which. These "updated" piston heads lol, they didn't even change anything about the oil control rings. All they did was remove a few grooves just below them. Engineers smh!

·
Registered
2010 Honda Accord (LX)
598 Posts
I'm pretty sure what happened is around this time period, Honda started using what they call "low friction" piston rings. These rings were problematic across the board in both V6s (VCM was already consuming oil, these rings only made it worse. It also affected non-VCM V6 engines like the J37) and I4s. Then they saw this and stopped using the "low friction" piston ring design, which mostly solved the issues.

My case was more severe than what mtts60 had. I'd probably be out of oil by the time my OCI came around. I was down a full quart every 1k miles.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah low friction, they designed the rings differently with less height and smaller holes. If one used 0w-20 instead of the recommended 5w-20, one probably would not have had an issue. It was kind of a two fold mistake by the engineers. It still pisses me off that the general excuse for so long was/is that modern cars burn more oil. Nonsense, thats an excuse for poor design IMO.

·
Elvira
3,639 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Honda Accord (LX)
598 Posts
I wonder if pouring MMO or penetrating oil directly into the cylinders would be effective. It could loosen stuck rings.
Has anybody tried it?
A bunch of people have. I did a piston soak on mine with both MMO and Seafoam with no noticeable change.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I wonder if pouring MMO or penetrating oil directly into the cylinders would be effective. It could loosen stuck rings.
Has anybody tried it?
Yeah I think there is tons of video talking about doing a soak that takes a couple days of letting it sit. Pull the spark plugs and rotate crank shaft till all the heads are mid stroke. Then pour seafoa or mmo whatever. Make sure you get it all back out before reinstalling spark plugs. A lot of these videos result in no noticed difference and the ones that do say it worked have irrelevant proof that it did in fact work. Most of them say nothing changed and after all that they say that maybe a bottom up approach is the way to go. Hence my recommendation, engine flush just before oil change and sub 1 quart of oil for MMO. Also amsoil is the best oil IMO, to replace with. Pennzoil a close second.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I bought my daughter a used 2010 V6. I noticed a slight vibration in the steering wheel when parked or at stop lights. The engine mounts seemed fine so I suspected that carbon from the VCM had built up on one or more of the pistons. I soaked cylinders 1 to 4 with Seafoam overnight then changed the oil and filter. After a week I changed the oil and filter again. The Seafoam completely cured the vibration. I then installed VCMTuner2.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I bought my daughter a used 2010 V6. I noticed a slight vibration in the steering wheel when parked or at stop lights. The engine mounts seemed fine so I suspected that carbon from the VCM had built up on one or more of the pistons. I soaked cylinders 1 to 4 with Seafoam overnight then changed the oil and filter. After a week I changed the oil and filter again. The Seafoam completely cured the vibration. I then installed VCMTuner2.
Nice! Just curious, why not cylinders 5 + 6 too? Is it because they were VCM2 engines Also, did you end up disabling VCM with the vcmtuner2?

·
Registered
2010 Honda Accord (LX)
598 Posts
Nice! Just curious, why not cylinders 5 + 6 too? Is it because they were VCM2 engines Also, did you end up disabling VCM with the vcmtuner2?
VCM has never affected cylinders 5 and 6. VCM1 and 3 affect 1-3, VCM2 affects 1-4.

I'd wonder how someone doesn't disable VCM after installing the VCMTuner II.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts