Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 2011 last May and for another six month I smoked in the car while I was driving to work and didn't notice much of a smell in the car - note: there's no ash tray in the car etc.. - only after I stopped smoking in October it started to become somewhat of an issue - some quite intense smell like there there was a heap of cigarette butts buried somewhere in the car - I think that I bought a smokers car. Someone used to smoke in that car a lot.

I'm wondering what can be done about that (now that I care)?

·
Banned
47 Posts
I bought my 2011 last May and for another six month I smoked in the car while I was driving to work and didn't notice much of a smell in the car - note: there's no ash tray in the car etc.. - only after I stopped smoking in October it started to become somewhat of an issue - some quite intense smell like there there was a heap of cigarette butts buried somewhere in the car - I think that I bought a smokers car. Someone used to smoke in that car a lot.

stop caring. you see, I bet you are one of those individuals that do not have anything hanging from your rear-view mirror. The reason I know that is because you listed Weather tech floor liners and "Experienced driver" as mods which is EXTREME ludicrous(lol) yet you have never been to a coin-operated car wash place or nary laid eyes on not a single Tree air fresheners at a store, you know the ones you hang on your mirror. These yellow colored tree shaped fresheners are perfect for smoke or any smell but you have to get the YELLOW COLORED to the exclusion of ALL other colored Tree shaped air freshener at ANY auto parts store!! Get the yellow and get mellow flavius, every guido got one except you so get your horse, buggy, wagon WHIPPIN and BEAT some FEET, don't let your feet be a-DRAGGING!

·
Registered
1,361 Posts

Congratulations on quitting the habit. When you quit smoking you're more acutely aware of the smell. You used to smoke in that car a lot!! Don't know if you'll ever completely remove the smell yourself. Suck it up (no pun intended) and get it professionally cleaned/detailed on the inside.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Charcoal (like you use in a charcoal grill) is great for absorbing odors. Get some, break the bricks, put them on a paper plate and leave them in your car overnight. You may have to do it several times, but it should help. There are also charcoal blocks you can buy at Wal Mart (and other fine retailers!) for just such a problem.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Congratulations on quitting the habit. When you quit smoking you're more acutely aware of the smell. You used to smoke in that car a lot!! Don't know if you'll ever completely remove the smell yourself. Suck it up (no pun intended) and get it professionally cleaned/detailed on the inside.
I meant to say that the previous owner must have smoked a lot - I didn't and I never left a single cigarette butt in the car. I thought about getting it detailed and was wondering if that would take car of the odor - I guess I won't know until I have tried.

stop caring. you see,..
Don't drink and post :wave:

Charcoal (like you use in a charcoal grill) is great for absorbing odors. Get some, break the bricks, put them on a paper plate and leave them in your car overnight. You may have to do it several times, but it should help. There are also charcoal blocks you can buy at Wal Mart (and other fine retailers!) for just such a problem.
Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
1,570 Posts

Smoke, just like what peeps do to slow cooking BBQ meats... it gets passed the fibers and into the core of padding and even through cracks. Beyond discoloring or darkening the interior, it will linger for some time. There are oder neutralizers and some cleaning sprays to clean smoke residue. Though they are not found in most stores. On-line is the best bet if you do not have any cleaning supply outlets.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
activated charcoal will absorb odor - it's different than charcoal briquettes. likewise, briquettes these days usually will have fuel or some combustion promoter inside.

·
Registered
22 Posts
You could Try Throwing a few Downy Fabric Softener Sheets from the Laundry room. I have had some luck with that in the past helping with odors. It pretty Cheap you can try that before going out and spending any money:thmsup:.

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
That sticky nicotine and smoke residue is embedded everywhere in your car – the ceiling liners, all the carpeting, the seat materials, dashboard, center console, under the seat, the HVAC system, sun visors, rear deck – everywhere. A little charcoal will remove airborne particles but that is only treating the symptoms. (Coffee grounds are supposed to be good too.)

To fix the problem you’ll need to clean every square inch of your car’s interior to remove the sticky residue. Even after hours of scrubbing you may never get the smell out entirely. A pro may do a better job. Depending on your tolerance for the smell now that you’ve quit smoking, a pro may be your best bet.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks!

Thanks for all the tips so far. I couldn't find the activated charcoal powder anywhere today but I managed to get some Ozium! - Looking for my hazmat suit now :)

·
Marcus
156 Posts
Steam cleaning may also help! Don't completely take my word on this, but I've definitely heard a few places claim that steam helps take out smells along with an abundance of dirt. It'll be to a certain extent, however, it will be better than nothing. See if you can borrow one off a friend - if not, it'll probably be $50 at the most to rent one from somewhere for a day.

It's worth a shot if you're willing to spend a couple bucks; it can also clean your headliner which is a great bonus!

·
Registered
764 Posts
check near your radiator, sometime if you have a bud get stuck in there can bring that smell into the cabin (Fresh on AC lets it in)

·
Registered
429 Posts
Aftermarket cabin air filters can be had with activated charcoal as a part of the filter. This would run all the air in the vehicle continuously through the charcoal, which should really knock down the odor. The Purolator C35519 fits your Accord, and has the activated charcoal. Hope this helps.

·
Super Moderator
7,849 Posts
Professional car detailing shop may have ozone generating machine which can be left running in the car for a few hours with windows closed, suppose to really help.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Im a detailed and we have a machine called the OZONE machine and u turn it on and leave your car running with your air on full blast for about 4-5 hours (after the interior is fully detailed) and itll get the smell out

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So I sprayed the inside of the car last week with Ozium once. I left the windows open a crack. Two days later I used the car again and didn't smell a thing anymore.

So, it appears that applying Ozium once already did the trick - however, it's really cold right now - the car is garaged and all - but I'm wondering if the smell could return once we are back to non-freezing temperatures.

I'll keep this updated.

·
"Old School" Shifter
380 Posts
You need to clean, clean and clean some more. Just hanging a air freahener ain't going to do anything longterm. Using steam on the headliner will release the glue and the lining will fall down. Even if you get the smell out now I will bet the first time the humidity is high you will smell again. I would get a professional to do it that garantees it for life and be ready to have them do it again and again.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts