Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A recent kind of car theft is where the thieves force an interrogation of the car/key set (which is a two-way radio conversation) and somehow command the car to unlock and start. The details of which are well described in this article and an adjoining video from April 1, 2016.

Recently there have been a large number of thefts in the Ottawa area (mainly Toyota/Lexus) and the cars seem destined for offshore.

Given the method (see linked article), are Hondas with keyless entry equally vulnerable to this mode of theft?

I've got a nice cookie tin at home - should make a good faraday cage for the fobs. That said, I don't think the thieves are targeting LX 1.5L Accords ...

·
Super Moderator
12,945 Posts
92 posts as of today...

·
Registered
1,022 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's a nice. I want to know, rather, is this more prevalent with Toyota? Is Honda "as" vulnerable to this technique?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
That's a nice. I want to know, rather, is this more prevalent with Toyota? Is Honda "as" vulnerable to this technique?
I would say about the same. It's the same technology, similar value, good market for parts, they are both common and inconspicuous brands.

Big rims free of curb rashes, body panels without dents, bumper covers without scratches make cars desirable targets.

·
8th Gen Believer
3,688 Posts
The answer to the OP's question is YES. Your car, my car, they're vulnerable. No one has statistics except law enforcement whether one brand is more vulnerable than another. Does it matter?

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^
^^
I guess I was hoping that Honda has a better, more robustly resistant to such hacks, technology.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Car makers equip their cars with the most secure technology the lowest bidder sells them, hackers buy the best stolen technology they can get their hands on.

Typical arms race.

·
Registered
550 Posts
If they want to steal it, but please steal it correctly, strip it and ensure it can't be recovered.

Back to worrying about other issues insurance won't cover....

·
Runnin' in the 90s
5,655 Posts
Don't keep your keys near your front door or windows, and you're more than likely safe from this method of theft.

·
Yea I modded my car again
1,129 Posts
Every year our neighborhood would get those Fers coming around and they would jump in everyone's car and steal anything inside.

Happened 2xs to my Acura CL-S, happened to my neighbors toyota rav 4, and nissan sentra.

Pretty scary to think.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts