Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There seems to be a filter for the ATF somewhere. The manual does not mention anything about needed service, location etc. It seems to be an inline filter for the AT. My concern is that a ATF clogged filter might not properly lubricate the AT and might cause problems. I have a 2013 V6 and just had the ATF replaced. My mechanic did not mention anything about the existence of this particular filter. Any information you have about this filter will be really appreciated. Thanks so much.

·
Elvira - the car
3,495 Posts
There seems to be a filter for the ATF somewhere. The manual does not mention anything about needed service, location etc. It seems to be an inline filter for the AT. My concern is that a ATF clogged filter might not properly lubricate the AT and might cause problems. I have a 2013 V6 and just had the ATF replaced. My mechanic did not mention anything about the existence of this particular filter. Any information you have about this filter will be really appreciated. Thanks so much.
It is an inline filter located under the battery tray. You would need to remove the tray to get to it. I found it when replacing my battery and cleaning up around there.
http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/86-9th-generation/310025-2013-v6-ext-transm-oil-filter-change.html Great photos and thank Buszman for the process and photographs.
El numero 6

Attachments

·
Blinded by the light
1,754 Posts
My advice is to not mess with it, unless you have major issues with the transmission (in which case the dealer would replace it). Honda has thought this through and knows much more about he operation of the transmission than we ever will. Also, I'm pretty sure this transmission is almost identical to the 4th gen Acura TL, which I've read very few problems about (unlike the 3rd gen TL). I wouldn't worry much about the transmission going out. You could change the ATF fluid more often than Honda recommends though.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
What's all of the panic about. Don't think there is any service interval for this filter. I wouldn't worry about it. Other posters here have changed it and if it makes you feel better go for it. Personally, I just change the ATF every other oil change or about every 10k which is probably way too much overkill anyway.

·
Dsclmr:DIY @ YourOwnRisks
1,221 Posts
IMO, if there is a filter, replace it at a reasonable interval; consult it with the dealer if you are unsure. History has shown honda had missed such filter maintenance and transmission had failed tremendously. One way to determine if you should replace the filter or not is by looking at the atf drain plug when you are at it. If the plug magnet was clean, it is a relief not to change; but if it shows enough of black gunk and shavings, then atf filter service should not be ignored. New filter is always better even if you didn't need it.

·
HK Moderator
13,891 Posts
Personally, I just change the ATF every other oil change or about every 10k which is probably way too much overkill anyway.
History has shown honda had missed such filter maintenance and transmission had failed tremendously.
Honda should have had 7th Gen owners (of the V6 model with automatic transmission) change their ATF earlier and more often. On that forum, we usually urge "new" owners to change the fluid and filter- as the filter is rather easy to do.

My 7th Gen 4 cylinder's auto tranny has a filter which takes me 5 minutes and $18 to change....

Back in the late 1990s and early 2000s- auto manufacturers were all touting their "lowest cost of ownership for first 3 or 5 years". I think maintenance (!) schedules suffered. :(

When I buy a used 9th Gen (maybe next year), you can bet I will change that fluid and any related filter, just to "baseline" it.

·
Dsclmr:DIY @ YourOwnRisks
1,221 Posts
Peace of mind, better safe then sorry. There is bad gas, and there is good gas; that's what Honda said. It is your call. If money was not an issue, I wouldn't mind getting premium gas too for sure; it's recommended, why not. You must be one of those thinking 'gas is gas'...

If you didn't need it then it isn't better to have it. Do you buy premium gas for your accord too?

·
Registered
661 Posts
Peace of mind, better safe then sorry. There is bad gas, and there is good gas; that's what Honda said. It is your call. If money was not an issue, I wouldn't mind getting premium gas too for sure; it's recommended, why not. You must be one of those thinking 'gas is gas'...
Fair enough :smile

1 - 9 of 9 Posts