Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the things to replace?
Been thinking
1) rotors
2) water pump and serpentine belt
3) alternator.

Anything I missed ? Or are these choices correct?

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
Water pump 300K, alternator 400K, changed on my 04, both were still working. Wait until you have a failure. Rotors I do with a brake job. Would suggest to replace timing chain tensioner if 4 cyl.

·
Registered
384 Posts
There‘s an indicator for the serp belt, by the pulley x tensioner area. If the belts look fray, just do it.

The rotors can be a pain, with those rotor screws. But if you are doing the pads and what not, I‘d go ahead and change them.

Water pump and alternator are things I usually wait to break, before fixing.

If you‘re uncertain about the history of what‘s done, but feel good about doing your own and cost isn‘t too much of an issue, just do the basic tune up and maintenance and use 210K as your own maintenance starting point.

Keep in mind, it is 210K and an older car, so weigh the cost vs benefit longetivity factor. Condition of car and history do play a large factor, imho.

·
Registered
5,325 Posts
Maintenance is ongoing and incremental, not based milestones. Take the belt off and spin water pump by hand. If it's silky smooth, the bearings are still good. Rotors - only if they're pulsating when braking or thin beyond minimum specs. Alternator - why are you having charging issues? If you have money itching to be spent, I have an accommodating paypal account.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts