Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Hello...was wanting to get everyone's thoughts. It's been sometime since I've been on here - I previously had a 2008 Accord and traded it in for a Honda Ridgeline in late 2009. Now that I've paid that off, I'm debating on a 2011 Accord..partly because my family has since grown and I'm in need of a vehicle with better mileage thanks to a longer commute.

I have my head set on a polished metal metallic, but am unsure what to look out for. I know that in the past, everyone said check the paint at the tail lights for paint issues and steering pull. Are there any known issues or items to look out for on the 2011?

Thanks! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Hello Hello...was wanting to get everyone's thoughts. It's been sometime since I've been on here - I previously had a 2008 Accord and traded it in for a Honda Ridgeline in late 2009. Now that I've paid that off, I'm debating on a 2011 Accord..partly because my family has since grown and I'm in need of a vehicle with better mileage thanks to a longer commute.

I have my head set on a polished metal metallic, but am unsure what to look out for. I know that in the past, everyone said check the paint at the tail lights for paint issues and steering pull. Are there any known issues or items to look out for on the 2011?

I think it's too new for any problems to really pop up yet. I don't remember seeing any threads on issues, hopefully Honda was worked out all the bugs by now. PMM is a beautiful color but I'm lazy so I prefer silver.

·
Registered
219 Posts
You are looking at the exact same model AND color that I picked up last September. I've put about 3200 miles on it since then, and, have not regretted purchasing this car.

My days of buying a car in the 1st, 2nd or 3rd year of a re-design or new vehicle are long gone now. I would hope the brake issues and creaking noises from the 08's and 09's are fixed by now.

All in all I am very satisfied with this car. I am definately digging the jdm-like rear relectors on the trunk. I think it fills out the rear of the car nicely. Only wished they lit up though..

·
Generation 9
565 Posts
Could lighting up those reflectors be the last thing Honda gives the Accord in its' final year before the complete move to the 9th gen? I hope so, then those of us with 11's can get the look. It makes sense.....The reflectors ride around looking like a light is burned out there. Not good. Otherwise I like them.:yes:

·
Registered
265 Posts
Yes that is one of the things I really would like to have them do. I realized they looked stupid at night since everyone that looks at it thinks your lights blew out...

·
Super Moderator
3,434 Posts
If you no longer need the space, have you considered a Civic? It's smaller but it will be less expensive, has as many features, is fun to drive and for your commute you'll def get better fuel mileage. Plus, with the 2012 Civics due out in a month or so, you should be able to get a screaming deal on a 2011 model. :)

·
Banned
294 Posts
If you no longer need the space, have you considered a Civic? It's smaller but it will be less expensive, has as many features, is fun to drive and for your commute you'll def get better fuel mileage. Plus, with the 2012 Civics due out in a month or so, you should be able to get a screaming deal on a 2011 model. :)
If he is to consider the 2011 Civic, I would go ahead and have him check out the 2011 Tc. bigger engine (2.5 liter) and guaranteed 26 mpg! Plus, 18 inch wheels come standard now as does a host of electronic nannies like VSA and uh um host of uh um..well, I didn't say I did ALL my homework! :lmao:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmmm, I was over at the dealership this morning (they are closed on Sunday) nosing around.....wow the Civics sure have grown in size, can't remember being that large of a car.

I plan on dropping by there tomorrow and test driving one. I need to find out if the 1.9% interest rate they told me about only applies to Accord. I know i qualified for it, they ran my credit already. Interestingly enough, they didn't pull from all three bureaus. It was only pulled from Experian (happens to be my middle score). I thought they normally pulled all 3....oh well.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Whatever you buy you will have made the right choice for you. I purchased a 2011 EX L I4. It is perfect. Seven weeks, 2,700 miles and absolutely no issues. I looked at the V 6 but went with the four for better mileage and more balanced feel when driving. I test drove the Civic EX-L but knew within five minutes that i preferred the Accord.

·
Registered
219 Posts
My wife and I considered the Civic when we were looking at the Accord last fall, but, that fell through when my wife complained that she couldn't see the speedometer! No matter what position we put the steering wheel and seat in, she couldn't see it!

She's 5'1", and I'm 6', so, if you or your family have a shorter stature, you may want to skip the Civic.

·
Banned
294 Posts

Can you light up the new added lenses.. this has to be added as an option for 2012. But how is that AT tranny. I would consider the MT much more strongly since the GM synchromesh ATF is available for 3rd gear!! Honda MT FTW. Too bad you can't get a sedan in 6MT, that killed it for me. This means you get a 5 spd MT sedan or coupe or 6mt coupe :yes:

·
Registered
222 Posts
Yeah I would seriously consider even the civic si... great little four-banger with a 6-speed, cool looks, amazing gas mileage, right around 20K.

Personally I'm very interested in the new sonata... they are really really sharp and now the turbo four is out... would get you better gas mileage than the v6 accord, looks great, and comes with a much better warranty.

But I can see you like your hondas... cant say I blame you. I did drive in a 2 door 5-speed civic once, great little car that was quiet, responsive, and very easy to live with.

·
Registered
219 Posts
My days of buying a car in the 1st, 2nd or 3rd year of a re-design or new vehicle are long gone now. I would hope the brake issues and creaking noises from the 08's and 09's are fixed by now.
I completely agree with you on not buying a new model in its first and second year, but if an automaker can't get it right by year three there is a problem. Thankfully Honda did get it right for the 2010 model year. Picked up my Accord on March 13th, it was built the first week in March. It's 11 months old and has about 11,000 miles on it, and mechanically it's perfect, like the day I drove it off the lot. Not one single issue have I had with the car, nothing, zero, zip! This car is proving to be just as reliable as my 2007 Honda Fit was, didn't have a problem with that in the four years I owned it either. The 2011 model should be problem free, as the changes were mostly cosmetic.

To the OP, pretty impressive you paid off a new car in under three years, those must have been big payments. I have the typical 60 month loan at 2.9% through Honda Financial, so the rate is decent and my payments are reasonable at $495 a month, but I have been thinking of doubling up on them too. I would like to get this thing paid off A.S.A.P so I can live payment free. Since this appears to be an incredibly reliable car, I'm thinking it should last 10 years, which would be seven years of no payments if I can pay it off in three years and keep it that long. Money in the bank. I am surprised you would be looking to put yourself into payments again after finally paying off a new vehicle.

Lastly, if you're dead set on getting something new with fuel efficiency in mind, a V6 Accord is NOT the way to go. Many V6 Accord owners are unhappy with their mileage, usually because it's far worse than the EPA rating. For my car, I've been keeping track of my past five fill ups, and with a conservative driving style, a car kept clean and properly lubricated, and always properly inflated tires, I've been averaging 21 mpg. That is with a mix of 40 city/60 hwy. Since my car is rated at 17 city/25 hwy, I'm right in the ball park, but I sure wish it was better. I guess I was just hoping it would be like my 2007 Fit, and blow away the EPA estimates, no such luck. Get yourself a Civic, preferably the EX-L model which is still relatively inexpensive, but has enough luxury you won't feel like you're driving an econo car. Or even a four cylinder Accord, but stay away from the V6 models if fuel efficiency is a concern.

Good luck whatever route you take.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just purchased the 2011 EX V6 w/nav. I traded my c230 sport. It's no benz but I do love the ride. I'm looking forward to making it my own, just not sure what I should do first. Good luck with your decision, not many people purchasing the V6 these days. I was able to workout a very good deal.

·
Registered
87 Posts
As someone who currently owns a 2011 Accord and 2006 Civic (see my Signature), I thought I would give my comments. These comments are based on the Sedan (which is what I assume you are looking for).

2006 CIVIC
I purchased the Civc after the wife totaled my 1996 Accord. I did not like the 2006 Accord styling, and was impressed with the Civic redesign. Drove the Civic for 4 years and then gave it to one of my daughters. The Civic is simply the best small car I have ever driven. If it were not for the slopping front end, you wouldn't even know you were in a small car. Quiet (for a small car), roomy and comfortable. And I can't say enough about the dash design. I dare you to test drive any other small car first... then drive the Civic. You will see just how nicely designed the interior is. Also fit/finish was great. Simply no problems with rattles. The only issues I had were poor tires and battery (replaced both sooner than expected).

Finally, gas mileage is very very good. I drive about 70% highway and averaged 36mpg. (NOTE: it is important with this car to use 100% gas to get good mileage. 10% ethenal blends would cause much lower mpg).

2011 ACCORD
Clearly a bigger and different car than the Civic. I own the V6, which is quieter due to extra insulation. I'm not so sure the I4 is much quieter than the Civic. My first impression of the 2011 Accord is softer ride, less sporty than previous Accords (for me that is exactly what I wanted. My 2011 Accord Coupe is more sporty). The car is very roomy (both leg room and head room). MPG for the V6 is about 26-27 (sedan slightly better than the coupe... or maybe the wife is a lead foot :naughty: ). As you can read on the forums, the car has some rattles (rear deck, passenger seat). I also have the common drivers side window air leak (wind buzzing sound). All of which I hope to get fixed soon.

Both are great cars and, since I'm in my mid 40s, I would choose the Accord over the Civic simply becase of luxury and quiet. But let me say this... In my mind, I have owned two great (well designed, reliable) cars:

1990 Accord Coupe
2006 Civic Sedan

Others were good cars (including my 2011 Accords), but these two were the best in their class and impressed me with their design, reliablility and fit/finish.

·
Registered
219 Posts
dweilbacher - Where do you get 100% gas (i.e. no ethynol gas)?

·
Registered
87 Posts
dweilbacher - Where do you get 100% gas (i.e. no ethynol gas)?
I'm in Ohio. We have Meijer's which also sells gas. They stated at their pumps, 100% gas (no ethynol).

·
Registered
210 Posts
I went from an LX to a EX-L V6 and love it. In many ways the same car, but in many more such a better performer. If cost isn't an option for you, I say go for it.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks everyone for your thoughts/feedback. I'm a new proud owner of a '11 EX-L V6 PMM =)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts