Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finaly decided to get 4cyl accord for my wife, but I would like to know if I am making right decision. At first I was thinking 2012 but with 9th gen new body there is no way I want previous gen. So my question is: which year should i get 2013-15, are there much differance between them, what should I look for? I am also in a middle of cross roads either I should get used one with less then 30k or just go for it and buy new one? Also should I expect any problems with CVT (did test drive recently on 2013 4cyl and can't say that its loud or there is something bad with it) and also what should i expect on reliability? Would like to keep it for long time

·
845 Form & Function Crew
165 Posts
Reliability yes. Cvt give problems? No the cvt is quite reliable. Also if you can wait a few more months for the new 2016 which will be a little different.

·
Registered
941 Posts
If you like the 9th gen, get the newest one you can. The rumored '16 doesn't look as good, though it will probably have some nice features.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
There were very few changes between '13 and '15; I think the biggest one was adding Homelink to the '15 EX, or something similarly minor. Personally, I wouldn't buy a used 9th gen in 2015 just because the depreciation on a 1-2 year old Honda isn't very substantial. For instance, KBB prices a '13 Sport CVT in my area at $19k in a private party sale, which is the cheapest. Considering you can probably get a new one for $21k + TTL, I wouldn't go through the trouble just to save 10-15% on a car with a history I don't know, but ultimately the call is yours to make.

The CVTs may have had some early hiccups, but by and large, people seem to be happy with them. Honda has been using the technology since the Insight days, so there's reason to be optimistic about their reliability, but only time will tell for sure.

Do check out the "spy" shots for the '16s (quotations added because they seem way too staged to be real spy shots). You may like the 9.5 gen better, or you may not. Either way, it's good to know ahead of time.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I'd get the 15 because like someone else mentioned the used ones hold their value so the difference between a 14 and 15 is only a couple thousand. I was thinking of getting a used 14 until i saw the small price difference between that and a 15.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I think the 2016 mid cycle refresh is coming to dealerships later in the year, get one of those...
Only thing i liked on the supposed 16 pics were the sport wheels. I'd like those on my 15. Wondering if they're 18" or 19". I didn't like the front end one bit.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I was in a similar position a couple weeks ago. Went in thinking I would get a used '14, as I always try to avoid the first year of a re-design ('13). Started looking at prices and realized a brand new '15 wasn't much more at all, and it would give me the piece of mind of a brand new car. Used cars - certified or not - are always a bit of a crapshoot. Then when I saw the pictures of the '16, which looks awful IMO, it sealed the deal.

It's the first of the month now, so if you can wait, I would hold out until the end of the month or maybe July 4th weekend to get the best deal possible.

·
Registered
583 Posts
If you're planning to go for the base model LX sedan, just be real careful with that 6-way manual adjust driver's seat. It has NO TILT adjust and never will have it. If you don't need it, fine. If you need it and don't have it, you might be so screwed.

In the power seat, you adjust tilt by front portion of the long button up or own. i.e., if I flatten out the seat tilt all the way, it sucks. If I put in most of the tilt, the seat is great.

·
The Shadow displaced Bug Magnet
2020 Honda Accord Touring 2.0T in Modern Steel Metallic
490 Posts
Would like to keep it for long time
Long time? Buying a 2 year actual time on the road used car and then keeping the car for 10 years your ownership time = 12 year old car.

If you intend to keep for a long period of time, I would not buy used unless the price difference between new and used has a huge 1-2 year depreciation rate.

come late summer (August???), the 2016 are going to hit. Dealers might want to clean out their slowest selling models so there might be some sweet deals over the summer on 2015.

·
Registered
113 Posts
With all the customer interest in CRVs, HRVs, and upcoming Pilot now and into the summer, it may be a good time to deal on an Accord.

·
Registered
45 Posts
There were wind noise issues at highway speeds on the 2013s. I believe this may still be present on the 2014s and some 2015s, but I think it has largely been addressed (I don't hear excessive noise on my 2015). There was actually a TSB out for this issue. Search around; there are several threads.

The other major issue I considered when getting my Accord was paint chipping around the tail lights from the tail lights being attached too tightly. There's a long thread somewhere on this, too. This issue is still present even on 2015 models, and it really depends on the clearance between the body panels and head/tail lights on each individual car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts