Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I currently have a 2010 Accord EX-L with Nav that I have only had since May. Hasn't been a great car but I am dealing with it. I have been having issues with the rear brakes that keep wearing down. However we had a snow storm two days ago and the accord did great in the snow! Made me fall in love with it again :)

I am looking at upgrading to the EX-L V6 with Nav at MMC. I have always had a 4cyl but the 8th gen is the slowest car that I have ever owned. My mother has a 07 V6 and the engine is just smooth, no other words to describe it.

Here are my questions,

What is the average MPG like on the V6. I see the epa estimates but in real world conditions what do most people get. I drive 25% city stop and go and the rest usually country roads.

Also the big question(and I know this is matter of opinion) is the V6 worth the $$ to spend? I have not driven the CVT so Im not sure what its like but I think I would rather stick to a regular automatic.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Again, we are going to have split opinions.
V6 owners will say i4 with cvt is unrealiable and V6 is super fast and so smooth that it is worth every penny.
and i4 owners will say their engine is good enough for their needs.

Regarding the MPG, i4 averages 30, and V6 averages 25.
Some people on this forum claims 30mpg average with V6, but it all depends on how you drive and how much traffic you have.
But then again, driving like a grandma to rely on VCM for mpg boost is also a factor.

i4 may be good enough, or it may be too slow depending on your taste.
I would do some test driving if I were you.
Only you can decide it for yourself.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Here's my input, with roughly 30% city driving and 70% highway around 65 mph. I average about 27-28 MPG.

I make frequent trips to see family which is a 120 mile trip taking the interstate and average 36-40 MPG depending on my speed. 65-70 mph seem to be the sweet spot that maximizes my MPG at 40 MPG. which i've hit a few times.

Be prepared to feel VCM vibrations in the V6 model. Some people mind it, some people don't.

·
Registered
608 Posts
The VCM on the V6 will allow the vehicle to get excellent gas mileage if you do a lot of steady highway driving. This will compensate for the much lower mpg you'll get in regular stop and go and irregular speed driving, where VCM wont activate. I am in the range of 31 - 33mpg with approx. 75-85% highway driving in town commuting. On out of state highway trips this has been up in the 37mpg range. I have also done something like 50-50 splits and overall mileage on a full tank will be in the 27 - 29 range. Overall I find the mpg to be quite excellent for the type of engine it has.

I enjoy the powertrain since I never need to rev the engine crazily just to keep speed. There are plenty of spots here with short onramps requiring 0-70 mph sprints so taking them without drama is pretty sweet.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I get 24-25 mpg in the winter and 26-28 mpg in the summer with nearly 95% in city driving. I am guessing the lower mpg in the winter is because of the long morning warmups in the garage. I drive with ECON on full time. I have gotten 39 mpg on a 100% interstate trip with cruise set @ 72 mph.

I recommend multiple test drives for each engine to figure out which you prefer. The v6 tranny downshifts for you as you come to a stop...feels a little like a manual shifting down through the lower gears. I like this but some people don't. The VCM definitely feels a little weird at first, but you get used to it. I won't drive a 4 cylinder, so it was an easy decision for me and I was coming from a 2003 v6.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I got my stick. Wheres the dead horse ?

·
Registered
43 Posts
The V6 was simply a no-brainer for me. Re gas milage-it can get 35+ mpg easily on long trips with the VCM on. But what really is special about this V6 is that there is always instant access to unlimited power when called on. Also its silky smooth, quiet and doesn't understeer much at all. My V6 is a mid 2013 model and luckily I have never felt any VCM rumbling/sounds etc. Hope never to encounter those! I am still impressed how good the new electric power steering is calibrated/tuned. Overall a great package for car enthusiasts!

·
Registered
901 Posts
I'm thoroughly impressed w/my v6. I was in the Poconos the last few days and we got snow up to the hood of my car over 2 days. Yesterday, thinking I was going to be a permanent fixture in the house we rented, I dug out the front end and 2 tire tracks out to the "plowed" (12" of packed snow) driveway. I climbed in, put it in "S" and idled my way to the street which was also packed snow. I made it out of the neighborhood of twisty steep ups and downs without hitting a tree, spinning my wheels once and feeling totally stable. I was shocked to say the least. I really didn't think I was going to even get out of the driveway.
As for MPG, on a mostly highway trip I'll put up 34+. Around town consisting of lots of lights, hills and stop signs (suburbs) I'll put up 27 trying and 23-25 just driving.

As for this VCM thing, I've got 5K miles on my car and am done trying to listen for or feel it...I simply have no idea when and if it's working. I guess maybe that means my car is perfect and other aren't??? Oh well, as long as I'm ok :).

Interesting there seems to be a few people regretting their i4 purchase lately...Anyone trade in their v6 on a 4 yet?

·
Registered
175 Posts
We just had a large snow storm hit here. The accord v6 with Econ on reduced the throttle of the car and helped me through the snowy conditions

·
Registered
322 Posts
i4 cvt coupe
35-40 mpg with eco button off, city 29-31 eco button off. Engine is a little loud. Car is really peppy in sport mode. Its not slow in my opinion.

V6 is pretty cool, they get led drls, a bit more power, and thats about it. I love my i4 cvt it has what i want, if power is what i wanted i probably would look into a different vehicle.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I went to the dealer last night just to look at the 9th gen. I will test drive at some point but I cant imagine liking the CVT.

Also, this is another factor in my purchase too. What model would I be better to get a good deal on(once again an opinion) I got a decent deal on my 4cyl

·
Registered
285 Posts
It's a no brainer if you want more power. I had two TSX's before this with the i4 engine. Great engine and was quick, just that the 4cyls are quick and the V6's are fast. If you want good gas mileage you can kick down to 65-70 mph driving on the hwy and watch the gas mileage savings add up. If you want to get on it you will smile. Someone said the V6 has a bit more power. It has lots more power. You of course have to look at the price difference and depending on your budget. If you can spring for the 6 go for it.

·
Registered
209 Posts
i4 cvt coupe
35-40 mpg with eco button off, city 29-31 eco button off. Engine is a little loud. Car is really peppy in sport mode. Its not slow in my opinion.

V6 is pretty cool, they get led drls, a bit more power, and thats about it. I love my i4 cvt it has what i want, if power is what i wanted i probably would look into a different vehicle.
:dunno: never drove one I guess. Its a lot more power. The 0-60 time is apparently only 1 sec faster but thats no the only thing that counts. Put the cars on a track with frequent decelerations and re accelerations. the mid range power band is where the v6 will absolutley destroy the v4. The v4 is still a great power train though and has quite a bit of pep.

·
Registered
901 Posts

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
For me, the V6 is the optimal choice based on refinement alone. After listening to a 4-cylinder growl, whine and moan for the last 5 years, I miss the smoothness, quietness, and refined operation of my previous V6-powered cars (1991 Legend, 2000 Passat GLX, 2002 Accord V6, and 2007 Accord V6). My current car is a 2011 Accord EX I4 5-speed automatic, and I can only imagine that the CVT in the 9th gen would exaggerate the relatively coarse sound of the 4-cylinder under load. As for speed, the 9th gen I4 has plenty of that for most people and the CVT makes quick work of passing maneuvers and on-ramp acceleration since it doesn't have to hunt for gears. The only time the I4/CVT combo suffers in terms of acceleration is from a dead stop. It's actually slower than the 8th gen I4/5AT up to 30 mph, according to the test results that I've seen (Car & Driver, etc.). But once moving, the I4/CVT is actually not that much slower than the 7th and 8th gen V6 automatics. To me, even the 8th gen I4 has enough power, which is why it makes me chuckle that the OP said it was the slowest car he's ever owned. My I4 can actually keep up with some of the V6 cars I've owned in the past, namely the Legend and the 6th gen Accord. I can't imagine that anyone actually needs the V6's power in normal driving routines, unless they live at high altitudes and haul a full load of passengers and cargo up steep inclines on a regular basis. I guess it's a nice bonus to have when you need it, but where I live, I can only floor the V6 for like 3 seconds before exceeding the speed limit and/or running into the back of another car. Overkill for a family sedan with no sporting intentions. However, as I said before, it's the refinement that seals the deal for me. Factor in the 4-cylinder-like fuel mileage that the V6 achieves, and it's a no-brainer for the money IMHO.

Of course, we can all share our opinions in favor of either engine choice, but what's most important is that the OP drives each one for himself. Since he's used to 4-cylinder engines, he may find the added quickness of the 9th gen I4 to suit his needs just fine. I'm going for the V6 myself. I just saw a fresh-off-the-lot black/black 2014 V6 sedan and I think I've finally decided on a color. I swore I'd never own another black/black car after my 2007 Accord, but I'd forgotten just how beautiful that color is when it's freshly washed and waxed. Man, I can't wait for my lease to be up in 2 months...

·
hot garbage
203 Posts
i4 may be good enough, or it may be too slow depending on your taste.
I would do some test driving if I were you.
Only you can decide it for yourself.
Agreed. Go for a test drive and see. 9th gen 4 cyl engine is leaps better than the 8th gen, so it may provide what you're looking for. but if you want ultimate smoothness and power delivery from an accord, the v6 is the way to go. regarding mpg, if you're mainly doing city, stop and go driving, 4cyl will obviously get you better mpg. the plus is both engines use regular gas which does help with operating costs. good luck with the choice.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Is the added expense of the initial V6 purchase price and fuel worth it to you? To me it was. This is a great V6 with a good amount of spirit.

·
Registered
322 Posts
brb closing my eyes, and pretending im tracking a 6 cyl bugatti.

2 mor cyls = more power, Enough said. If i need power id get it from a different vehicle not from my comfy accord.

OP go test drive them, see how you like the i4 or the 6cyl, take into consideration price and features. Ask yourself what you want out of the car, or purpose of the car, and if its still an accord, buy it.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I don't think anyone here with the 9th gen V6 is acting like they have a Corvette or Bugatti but when it comes to comparing the 4cyl to the V6 there is no comparison with the power output. That's all! Both give you very good gas mileage under normal driving. Some cannot afford the extra few thousand for the V6 and that's fine. Some choose the 4cyl even with the money to buy the V6 because they don't need that much power and also enjoy the fuel savings. I think some of us that came from 4cyl that wanted more power found it with the V6. With today's driving you need the extra power at times to merge and get out of some driving situations. The 4cyl can still do that but with the V6 you take command of driving situations. There are only a handful of everyday production cars on road that currently match what the V6 is capable of. Again, mainstream production cars excluding V8 Mustangs, Camaro..etc, and any other exotic sports cars which you probably wont see in most driving situations.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Based on my Sig you can say that I have the best of both worlds. Frankly, I enjoy driving both my wife's I4 and my own V6. We've only had the I4 for about two weeks now and I'm gradually learning the subtle differences between the two.

CVT - seems a bit more nimble and agile, better gas mileage, runs fairly smoothly, pretty quick, takes a bit longer to get up to speed, weak battery, goodyear tires, about 2K cheaper, no judder problems.

V6 - good gas mileage, smooth acceleration, really fast, drl's, home link, gloss black pillars and grille, door courtesy lights, michelin tires, seems more stable, more horsepower, no VCM issues.

These are only my observations and any buying decision is strictly a matter of personal choice. I enjoy the added horsepower and features of my V6 but I am never disappointed when I happen to drive the wife's I4. Would I trade my V6 for an I4.......no way. Would I trade her I4 for a V6.......no sir. Life is about choices and I enjoy having the driving options. IMO, both are great cars for the money and you can't go wrong with either one.

I say drive them both and go with your "gut feeling" in making your decision. You've got to drive it and you've got to pay for it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts